Ampere Analysis / Console Sales: PS5 (21.7 million), Xbox Series X|S (13.8 million)

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
According to the latest Ampere Analysis, the gap between the number of PS5 and Xbox consoles sold is bigger than we initially thought. The popular analysis firm estimates that Sony has sold 21 million PS5 units (21.7 million), while Microsoft's Xbox Series X|S is at 13.8 million units sold.

These numbers mean that PS5 is outselling Xbox Series X|S by a ratio of 1.6. For reference, PS4 was outselling Xbox One by a ratio of 1.4 by this time after launch.

Gear-Xbox-vs-PS5-1230432282.jpg

Piers Harding-Rolls, research director at Ampere Analysis, also commented on the recent PS5 price hike:
"There is no doubt that this price increase will have been a hard decision to make."

According to Piers, the PS5 price hike won't have any negative impact on sales.
"While we believe there will be disappointment for some consumers that have been trying to buy a PS5 without success, or that were saving to buy the console just in time for the price to increase, the high pent up demand for Sony's device means that this price increase of around 10% across most markets will have minimal impact on sales of the console."

"We expect Sony's sales forecast for the PS5 to remain unchanged."

In other news, Sony is persisting with its sales forecast of selling 18 million PS5 units between April 2022 and March 2023. That means they are on track to ship and sell 15.6 million units between July 1, 2022, and March 31, 2023.

Sony's Chief Financial Officer, Totoki-san says that Sony feels "very comfortable" about being able to hit 18 million units in FY22.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How come this news is not getting any attention? The gaming media don't want to go against the VGchartz fake numbers? "Fastest selling since the 360"?

That kills the narrative that gamers care about "value" over everything else.

Gamepass and Series S are basically free with the purchase of 2 games and they can't give it away.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How come this news is not getting any attention? The gaming media don't want to go against the VGchartz fake numbers? "Fastest selling since the 360"?

That kills the narrative that gamers care about "value" over everything else.

Gamepass and Series S are basically free with the purchase of 2 games and they can't give it away.
Yeah, I doubt this will get much traction. The lack of replies on this thread will also be an indicator of that. And the replies that we do get will just downplay the importance of console sales.

Beyond "console wars," I think this analysis exposes VGChartz inflated data, which is just a win everybody needs to celebrate lol.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hobbygaming

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Series numbers are a bit better than what I estimated sometime ago… I thought it was around 11-12 million.

Series was selling a bit better in US the last 3 quarters but the difference was probably small because it couldn’t even break the advantage PS5 had just with launch sales… probably the last one of two months that PS5 sold more already made up the win of these 3 quarters to Xbox.

Outside US the numbers always favored PS5.

If not supply issues that generation should show the biggest gap between a PS and Xbox since PS2 vs Xbox.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, I doubt this will get much traction. The lack of replies on this thread will also be an indicator of that. And the replies that we do get will just downplay the importance of console sales.

Beyond "console wars," I think this analysis exposes VGChartz inflated data, which is just a win everybody needs to celebrate lol.
Is there even a thread in the other forums? The news came out yesterday and I didn't see it.

Today was all about shitting on Sony for the small price hike. If we needed any more proof that they are biased 🙄

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The Series numbers are a bit better than what I estimated sometime ago… I thought it was around 11-12 million.

Series was selling a bit better in US the last 3 quarters but the difference was probably small because it couldn’t even break the advantage PS5 had just with launch sales… probably the last one of two months that PS5 sold more already made up the win of these 3 quarters to Xbox.

Outside US the numbers always favored PS5.

If not supply issues that generation should show the biggest gap between a PS and Xbox since PS2 vs Xbox.
That may also depend on when you estimated those numbers. According to Ampere Analysis, this data is for the end of Q2 2022, so June 30, 2022.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is there even a thread in the other forums? The news came out yesterday and I didn't see it.

Today was all about shitting on Sony for the small price hike. If we needed any more proof that they are biased 🙄
They will see threads like these and follow lol. But I bet most of the comments would be like "console sales don't even matter to Xbox now."

But then they won't be able to explain why Nadella was just celebrating a highly filtered statement that "Xbox is the leading next-gen console in the US market for the last 2 quarters." if console sales don't matter. lol

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That may also depend on when you estimated those numbers. According to Ampere Analysis, this data is for the end of Q2 2022, so June 30, 2022.
It was when that guy Warflare and Zhuge estimated Series sales around 15 million… I said it doesn’t make sense and made some estimations.

I don’t remember where it was… maybe it was on Discord… I even put in doubt if Series was ahead Xbox One launch aligned anymore.

• brain
Reactions: Heisenberg007
OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It was when that guy Warflare and Zhuge estimated Series sales around 15 million… I said it doesn’t make sense and made some estimations.

I don’t remember where it was… maybe it was on Discord… I even put in doubt if Series was ahead Xbox One launch aligned anymore.
Yeah, I never once trusted that 15+ million figure. VGChartz has this number on almost 17 million, which just doesn't make sense at all. Or the alternative (assuming both VGChartz and Ampere Analysis are correct) means that there are almost 3 million Xbox X|S units sitting in the stores with no one willing to buy them.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yeah, I never once trusted that 15+ million figure. VGChartz has this number on almost 17 million, which just doesn't make sense at all. Or the alternative (assuming both VGChartz and Ampere Analysis are correct) means that there are almost 3 million Xbox X|S units sitting in the stores with no one willing to buy them.
Never seen a series x in person, but plenty of series s consoles collecting dust on store shelves.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Never seen a series x in person, but plenty of series s consoles collecting dust on store shelves.
I think I'm one of lucky few who have seen all three on shelfs (PS5, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S). Never saw a PS5 Digital Edition though.

And yes, the demand-supply ratio for Series S does not match with PS5's or even XSX's. I can easily get Series S today below local retail MSRP, and I live in a country where I have to pay a premium of nearly $100 for XSX and nearly $300 for PS5.

• brain
Reactions: Hobbygaming
OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Piers lowballing it hard. Maybe he forgot that the Series S exists 😁
Lol, suddenly Piers and Ampere Analysis became unreliable and biased? 😛 Haven't you been treating Ampere's numbers as gospel on this forum for a while now? 😄

Receipts:

Nope. Ampere counts GPU+GP as 25m, and XLG seperatly as 16m.

50 is indeed bigger than 41. Xbox is still massively overperforming, or Playstation is underperforming, however you want to frame it.
You should really stop pulling numbers out of your bum. According to Ampere, Gamepass did $2.2b in revenue last year. And yet again, for coping reasons I assume, you "forgot" that XLG exists and makes quite a bit of money.
Ampere has them at 16m. The point is that you can't just act like XLG doesn't exist. Unless you're trying to cope with Xbox success, of course.