Ampere Analysis / Console Sales: PS5 (21.7 million), Xbox Series X|S (13.8 million)

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Screen-Shot-2022-08-26-at-2-28-00-PM.jpg

Here you go. Another source. @Bernd Lauert @DynamiteCop . Look at the top. "Based on official financial reports."

I'll wait for the apology 😄 @DynamiteCop Also, now you should either accept your mistake or present your source for that 15 million number you threw with no data to backup.
Instead of trying to play gotcha, you could simply look into Microsoft's financial reports yourself. You would then realize that the above table is wrong. Or you could just look at the table and see that several stupid mistakes were made just by falsely adding up the numbers (apparently, 8.3 + 0.7 = 8.3 🤣) Anyway, here's the real number:

2007tri9u.png

So 11.6m consoles in the first 7 quarters. Looks like VGChartz has been "estimating" numbers back then, too.

Reactions: DarkMage619

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022
Instead of trying to play gotcha, you could simply look into Microsoft's financial reports yourself. You would then realize that the above table is wrong. Or you could just look at the table and see that several stupid mistakes were made just by falsely adding up the numbers (apparently, 8.3 + 0.7 = 8.3 🤣) Anyway, here's the real number:

2007tri9u.png

So 11.6m consoles in the first 7 quarters. Looks like VGChartz has been "estimating" numbers back then, too.
So way closer to @Heisenberg007 than @DynamiteCop 's number?Glad you could prove that he was wrong about that 15+M and that the article may still be right.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Don't know how the 360 sales became relevant to this.
@DynamiteCop was trying to spin it that this report is fake because Xbox SX has already sold more than 360, and by this time 360 had sold 15 million+ units.

Ironically, he said that without linking to any source. When I presented my source (official MS numbers), he questioned the validity of the data, called the forum members clowns, and ran away.

I'll have him banned if he doesn't apologize or present his source for 15 million units because they always do this and derail threads like this. Cc'ing mods: @TubzGaming @Sircaw because I'll follow up on this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

2007tri9u.png

Nobody is trying to play "gotcha". But you guys point fingers and call others clowns, while stating absolutely stupid stuff.

How many months do two fiscal years have? 24 months, right?
How many 360 consoles did they sell in those 24 months? 11.6 million (6.6 + 5.0)

What do you think it means, how does it not support what I've been saying?

How many consoles they would have sold in 20 months if they sold 11.6 million in 24 months? Take a guess.

10.4 million or 15+ million? Pick one.

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
@DynamiteCop was trying to spin it that this report is fake because Xbox SX has already sold more than 360, and by this time 360 had sold 15 million+ units.

Ironically, he said that without linking to any source. When I presented my source (official MS numbers), he questioned the validity of the data, called the forum members clowns, and ran away.

I'll have him banned if he doesn't apologize or present his source for 15 million units because they always do this and derail threads like this.
Yeah all too common behaviour from certain people here.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Nobody is trying to play "gotcha". But you guys point fingers and call others clowns, while stating absolutely stupid stuff.

How many months do two fiscal years have? 24 months, right?
How many 360 consoles did they sell in those 24 months? 11.6 million (6.6 + 5.0)

What do you think it means, how does it not support what I've been saying?

How many consoles they would have sold in 20 months if they sold 11.6 million in 24 months? Take a guess.

10.4 million or 15+ million? Pick one.
It's not 24 months. FY07 ends in June 30, 2007. Xbox 360 started selling in Q2 of FY06. So it's seven quarters, or 20 months since sales started in November. The 10.4m figure is clearly wrong.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's not 24 months. FY07 ends in June 30, 2007. Xbox 360 started selling in Q2 of FY06. So it's seven quarters, or 20 months since sales started in November. The 10.4m figure is clearly wrong.
And the 15 million one is correct? lol.

It's 21 months for 11.6 million units and 20 months for 10.4 million. Also, note that your image says "shipped", which is not the same as "sold" anyway.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
And even for argument's sake, let's say 360 did sell 11.6 million units instead of 10.4. What does that change?

It only reaffirms the validity of Ampere's estimate that Xbox Series X|S is at 13.8 million units. The only reason why @DynamiteCop brought 360 figures in the first place because he was trying (and failing) to prove that 360 had sold 15 million+ units in that time frame and Nadella said that Series X|S are ahead of 360, so this report was fake.

Now your 11.6 million units data (if we take it as true) proves that that's not the case. 360 hadn't sold more than 13.8 million units in this time frame.

• fire
Reactions: Dr Bass

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
And even for argument's sake, let's say 360 did sell 11.6 million units instead of 10.4. What does that change?
Just pointing out the comedy gold of you using provably false VGChartz numbers when you like them and calling them false when you don't like them 😁
It only reaffirms the validity of Ampere's estimate that Xbox Series X|S is at 13.8 million units.
Not really. It only fits the fact that Series is outselling the 360. But the One was also outselling the 360, and Series is outselling the One.
Now your 11.6 million units data (if we take it as true)
This is hilarious, because "my" data is official Microsoft data.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Just pointing out the comedy gold of you using provably false VGChartz numbers when you like them and calling them false when you don't like them 😁

Not really. It only fits the fact that Series is outselling the 360. But the One was also outselling the 360, and Series is outselling the One.

Nope. VGChartz also used the official data, not estimates, so that wasn't wrong either.

Your data = 21 months, 11.6 million units shipped.
My data = 20 months, 10.4 million units sold.

And it does reaffirm that the Ampere Analysis estimate does not go against what Nadella said earlier.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
That is way more than I imagined, I thought it was closer! 🙀
Many people thought the same because of VGChartz and their inflated numbers. Good to see Ampere Analysis jumping to share much more accurate numbers.

This gap is only going to get wider in the next 9 months.

Reactions: Dabaus

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022

Reinforcing that the article is right since both xb1 and 360 numbers seems to be below 13.8M...Sometimes I think you just want to argue for the sake of it because all your points are somehow validating the article and discrediting @DynamiteCop whom you were defending.

• brain
Reactions: Heisenberg007

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm, looks like Series X/S isn’t selling that much better than Xbox One during the same time frame.

The media and fans keep saying Series X/S is selling faster than the 360 but the Xbox One was also selling faster than the 360, then it slowed down after 2 years. But what they fail to mention is the Series S is much cheaper than the Xbox One. So comparatively, its not doing better.

My prediction of no more than 60-70million units still counts. Even with a much cheaper Series S

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm, looks like Series X/S isn’t selling that much better than Xbox One during the same time frame.

The media and fans keep saying Series X/S is selling faster than the 360 but the Xbox One was also selling faster than the 360, then it slowed down after 2 years. But what they fail to mention is the Series S is much cheaper than the Xbox One. So comparatively, its not doing better.

My prediction of no more than 60-70million units still counts. Even with a much cheaper Series S
Yep, both are good points. They are (barely) outselling their past consoles with primarily a console that is $100 cheaper. And that is after they have spent nearly $80 billion in acquisitions and have been spending loads of money on Gamepass.

The pre-launch expectations were very different, but I think they overestimated the impact.

Remember how they announced Bethesda's acquisition a day before opening the Series X|S pre-orders? They thought these acquisitions will make all the difference and help them outsell PS5. That didn't happen at all.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko
D

Deleted member 140

Many people thought the same because of VGChartz and their inflated numbers. Good to see Ampere Analysis jumping to share much more accurate numbers.

This gap is only going to get wider in the next 9 months.

It looks like every produced PS5 gets sold immediately either way, but then we'll have TLOU Part 1 and GoW, further increasing demand. Sony will sell every console they produce, therefore I believe it really comes down to how much they'll be able to produce! Crazy times!

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It looks like every produced PS5 gets sold immediately either way, but then we'll have TLOU Part 1 and GoW, further increasing demand. Sony will sell every console they produce, therefore I believe it really comes down to how much they'll be able to produce! Crazy times!
Yep. Agreed. That's the topic of this thread I created earlier: https://icon-era.com/threads/playst...eneration-in-the-next-6-months-heres-why.732/. Sony is building insane momentum. All the chips are falling in the right place for them.