Another PC port that'll flop? Final Fantasy 16 debuts on Steam with 1470 player count

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Yeah pc players might really indeed be starting to get programmed into liking gaas...
Here we have completely NORMAL, huge, AAAA single player game. Amazing graphics, combat, just style.
The demo alone had me in awe last year. And whole game was just as good.

But pc players don't care.
And it's infuriating that square and sony are ramming right into pc players asses with 50$ price tag while we paid 70.
Not to mention I see it for 40$ on key resellers

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
If this doesn't cross Persona or Like a Dragon.... I'll actually start to wonder how SE attempts to grow this series past it's hardcore audience. & no... I don't think turn based is the answer.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's quite a demanding game, I doubt it would run on a PS4 level system.

I'm no tech expert though...so maybe there is a chance.
It wouldnt work on a PS4 Pro and had to do alot to play on PS5.
I never got 60fps in all non combat areas etc.

Doubt Switch 2 would play it unless its there version of dlss. Which I expect Nintendo to have something

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I try but can't understand why you folks are pissed. I would somewhat understand if it was a Rise of the Tomb Raider situation where the game was taken from your football cl...I mean platform of choice.

But here, the game was playable for more than a year and you can still play it. Why so butthurt?

BTW game mid AF to me. Last truly great FF was IX. There's other big PC games releasing these days like God of War Ragnarok. Pretty busy week for PC gamers overall.

This is more in reference to the other FFXVI PC thread. That one has more toxic ex girlfriend energy.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
you mean turn based? i wonder if that would work, XV being full action had sales in just a few years that blowed the old games out of the water that needed decades and rerelases to achieve

You have to look at the whole picture. Development for this game started in 2006... The game didn't release until 2016... Ten years...

Imagine the number of games they could have released in the same time period.

Releasing multiple RPGs brings different kinds of fans in.

Maybe you don't buy Xenogears but you buy Chrono Cross and as a result you buy Vagrant Story. Or you don't buy Chrono Cross but you buy FFIX.

I would not brag about the mediocre sales of a game that was in development for a decade...

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I try but can't understand why you folks are pissed. I would somewhat understand if it was a Rise of the Tomb Raider situation where the game was taken from your football cl...I mean platform of choice.

But here, the game was playable for more than a year and you can still play it. Why so butthurt?

BTW game mid AF to me. Last truly great FF was IX. There's other big PC games releasing these days like God of War Ragnarok. Pretty busy week for PC gamers overall.

This is more in reference to the other FFXIV PC thread.
Will be interesting to see how Ragnarok does. Seems way too early to port... Didn't even hold on to it to help sell a few Pro's.

Sometimes I wonder if Sony just like to make things harder for themselves for no reason.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

This is more in reference to the other FFXIV PC thread.

I think it might be because how non PS fans treated the game and how those people were shitting on it and saying it was a failure. And why PC/Xbox will save the game sales, IP etc.

Platform warring will just create the same reaction. Either side.
Just like every Xbox game is waited to get shat on by PS fans, Every PS exclusive has had some kind of crazy loud narrative against it by Xbox, PC fans, media etc.

People need to be honest, I always find it awesome when MS fails. Im sure millions of Xbox and PC fans think the same for PS and why they try so hard. I dont know why people dont act like there isnt an agenda from either platform’s fans.

Every argument has just become worse and worse. From sports, to celebrity worship/failure, politics, religion, video games and even who’s wins between Tigers and Lions lol. Ive heard phrases like toxic Tiger fanboys……. As a species we’re kinda fucked

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Will be interesting to see how Ragnarok does. Seems way too early to port... Didn't even hold on to it to help sell a few Pro's.

Sometimes I wonder if Sony just like to make things harder for themselves for no reason.
Well in the case of GoW reboot games ragnarok is clearly the inferior game so a few months here and there dont matter much. They should have never ported the 2018 game to begin with but well that is spilt milk now. Atreus and angrboda are nothing but bloat

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
If this doesn't cross Persona or Like a Dragon.... I'll actually start to wonder how SE attempts to grow this series past it's hardcore audience. & no... I don't think turn based is the answer.

The issue with Square Enix is that they have no set strategy when it comes to PC among individual projects.
Timetables are fluid, quality is highly variable in negative way, etc...
Hard to develop a new audience for your franchises on a new platform if they don't know when you stuff is coming out, ports are of varying quality.

There's a reason that both Persona and LaD have kept breaking their CCU launch record release after release for the last few years. They deliver decent/good ports on time, that's how you build up a rapport with your potential customer base

Anyhow, the game released past Asia's timezone, and the game is HUGE in size with no pre-load
Also, I suspect that the game MIGHT peak during NA instead of EU, the US has always loved JRPGs/FF.
The game isn't charting that high in China, when that happens for a JRPG, it usually means it'll daily peak in the US timezone.

Ragnarok is looking to have a regression in launch week sales just like HZD ---> HFW based on Steam wishlist and where the game is currently sitting on the global top sellers list being #17 2 days off release. In fact it's probably going to be worse. IIRC, the wishlist/follow count for HFW was much higher than GoW:R(Although, that's not an exact science).

It may be that SIE SP games see drop off with each entries, which is actually quite common for most franchises where a story is followed through multiple games.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Ragnarok is looking to have a regression in launch week sales just like HZD ---> HFW based on Steam wishlist and where the game is currently sitting on the global top sellers list being #17 2 days off release. In fact it's probably going to be worse. IIRC, the wishlist/follow count for HFW was much higher than GoW:R(Although, that's not an exact science).
Well they made long ass playable segments for the punchable kid, People play GoW for Kratos killing gods and monsters not for a teenage dunce and his CW melodrama

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

It may be that SIE SP games see drop off with each entries, which is actually quite common for most franchises where a story is followed through multiple games.
No growth at all between their releases, great to hear. All this nonsense about reaching more players and grow their audience is total bullshit. As if God of War need to grow on PC 🤡

I hope it flops bad and they get dozens of CCU articles laughing at Sony for dumping this on Steam when they have a PS5 Pro upgrade to sell. Phil is smiling while Sony gets the prize for dumbest company.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and Puff

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
No growth at all between their releases, great to hear. All this nonsense about reaching more players and grow their audience is total bullshit. As if God of War need to grow on PC 🤡

I hope it flops bad and they get dozens of CCU articles laughing at Sony for dumping this on Steam when they have a PS5 Pro upgrade to sell. Phil is smiling while Sony gets the prize for dumbest company.

I hope for your case the PS5 Pro flops, would be fun since you seem to be worried about the multi-billionaire company Sony.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I hope for your case the PS5 Pro flops, would be fun since you seem to be worried about the multi-billionaire company Sony.
If it flops it's because they gave away all their games on PC and there's no reason to get one at all. That's the real issue. The price can change when it's on sale but that issue will never go away. Sony made their bed 🤷