Apparently Concord Cost Sony 400 million and was internally championed as future of playstation

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Edit:

On the latest sacred symbols episode, Colin Moriarity revealed that he interviewed people connected to firewalk and the situation with Concord seems much worse than it is thought.

I guess now we know why the nickle and diming is happening, I would take this info with a grain of salt but Colin says his source is solid and with the way Sony reacted there seems to be some truth to the matter.

On a positive note Concord seems to have been Herman Hulst's baby so his days are most likely numbered

Last edited:

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
At least link to the tweet with the clip:

Mindboggling. $400 million down the drain. They will not get a cent of that back.

Surprised no heads are rolling from the higher ups at Sony.

Reactions: Bryank75

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Holy shit.... talk about tone deaf. I wanted to see FW live but there's no way if it was that much....

future of PS i feel is hyperbole, they only gave it 2 months of ads . probably something said to boost work morale sure.

Reactions: Zzero

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Everyday the budget goes up by 100 millions 🙄

The gameplay reveal was announced 2 months before release and there was barely any marketing after that. Unknown studio, unknown IP and you think they gave them a bigger budget than Spider-man 2?

There was not even a console bundle. Sounds like fake news for clicks.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The toxic talk I can believe. And you blame PS studio heads for letting it carry on.

400million I doubt. 200m was the number that included other games, 400m makes no sense what so ever

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
$400M? Why didn't he say $400B? I call this bullshit.

Some of the other things he mention sounds like whoever told him these things never had worked in a AAA / GaaS game before, or he didn't understood properly the things he was told:
  • The idea of GaaS is that they release a MVP (minimum viable product) and then to keep building on top little by little, with the idea of saving money in case the project doesn't work and they shut it down, before they spent the rest developing the rest of the project
  • A year and a half before release yes, AAA normally look like shit, a ton of things are half done, there's a lot of bugs and broken things etc. It doesn't mean the project is in a bad shape
  • To have a lot of outsourcing is normal in AAA development, and it is normally started to be pumped in the milestone before alpha, before it there's a smaller team working in the game, mainly the lead dev studio
  • I highly doubt the $400M thing, it makes more sense to think the budget was $200M to release the game (PR & marketing campaign included). And then maybe additional $200M saved for potential post launch costs in servers + development + marketing during whatever it could last lasted if it would have became top tier success (let's say 5+ years after launch). That would match the "Sony wanted to spend that amount again" thing
  • Regarding folks believing the IP had a lot of potential, it's normal for devs who work in the game (it's their "child"), but big companies are traditionally very skeptical even when the project looks great, so even more when as he said "looks like shit" during development. I think it's totally fake that Sony would considering it as "Sony's Star Wars"
  • Regarding considering the game part of Sony's next big thing that could make more sense, if instead of only this game they meant Sony's expansion to MP, GaaS and PC. All that package with Destiny 2, Helldivers 2, GT7, MLB, the PC ports plus the future stuff and so on yes, considering the extra money Sony will be making after all these projecte yes, in general SIE will have grow a ton even despite Concord's failure
  • Regarding the "toxic positivity", it's clear that something like that must have happened there because I can't see how Sony and people who worked in Destiny, IP and CoD released these awful character designs on a hero shooter. It's the only explanation, because in normal conditions many people would have pointed out the issue and raised flags, and the issue would have been addressed.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke and Kokoloko

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Everyday the budget goes up by 100 millions 🙄

The gameplay reveal was announced 2 months before release and there was barely any marketing after that. Unknown studio, unknown IP and you think they gave them a bigger budget than Spider-man 2?

There was not even a console bundle. Sounds like fake news for clicks.
yes i do, because Sony is greedy asf, 60% of the investment for SIE this gen has been in GAAs, that's why we have holes in 2023/2024 when it comes to tentpole first party games in 2019 we have the same investment in 2025 for singleplayer games in an age of inflation
i-worry-people-are-misunderstanding-sonys-plan-for-future-v0-i921qt30aacb1.jpg

OP
OP
quest4441

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I feel Herman wont be publicaly fired so soon as it will be an egg on face moment for Sony as they just appointed him in april. They will likely marginalize him and push him out next year with taking a sabbatical as an excuse. If Herman doesnt show up for SoP's and other events then we would know his game is up