Apparently Concord Cost Sony 400 million and was internally championed as future of playstation

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
So this was Herman’s baby for real…. No way other execs are happy with him just throwing almost half a billion in the trash. I wonder why they were so confident in this title…. Nothing about the game screams half a billion, and I really think the game is great.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So this was Herman’s baby for real…. No way other execs are happy with him just throwing almost half a billion in the trash. I wonder why they were so confident in this title…. Nothing about the game screams half a billion, and I really think the game is great.
If they picked 10 random people off the street to play test this for an hour, they'd have saved hundreds of millions. It's baffling how the entire team at PS saw the game and thought it would do well. Heads need to roll for this.

Reactions: Airbus

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Why is Herman still there? His actions and likely recommendations to Jim Ryan as the content expert appear to be getting worse and worse. He also has ungodly open bias to guerrila and horizon

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Bro they released a controller, had animated shows on amazon lined up. They even acquired the studio before game was launched. This lines up with him stating that Sony thought about Concord as their own star wars, This explains the nickle and diming of ps plus and the stands as well, They even cancelled factions 2
This was my first thought as well. They clearly thought this was going to hit it big…. Man I would’ve been in the office cringing if they thought CONCORD was the future of the brand.

Lol this forum is right a lot of the time, some powerful people at Sony doesn’t know their audience and what they’ve cultivated like… at all. Concord was a fun game but for this to be the most expensive game you’ve ever made…. Wow

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Well it’s bullshit then.

What the hell was the 400 million spent on.

These guys just keep getting numbers out of their asses.

First 200 then 250 now 400.

Next it will 500 million.
We might not get an answer until Sony does their quarterly report. Even then we might not either.

Reactions: Muddasar

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Why is Herman still there? His actions and likely recommendations to Jim Ryan as the content expert appear to be getting worse and worse. He also has ungodly open bias to guerrila and horizon
he made Connie who worked for PlayStation since the 90s take the L and put his friend Angie Smets in her place once she was fired

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
all of the multiplatform stuff came from Hermen too, that's why they always start with Horizon

2020 - Horizon Zero Dawn being the first first party game to go to PC
2024 - Horizon Lego Adventures being the first first party game to go to Nintendo Switch

all coming from Guerrilla, this is not a coincidence

OP
OP
quest4441

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
No wonder the margins went down, first they had to write off factions which alone must have cost 250-300+ million and then another 200 on concord to get it out the door. I think the 400 figure is a bit much but 300 million for concord is believable as they really thought its the next big thing.

I think they planned a cinematic universe based on concord behind the scenes as well, if this would have been only a 100 million loss then Sony would not be so quick to pull the plug. I guess we are going to see Shawne Benson promoted to head WWS in the near future with Nishino becoming the sole CEO

Reactions: ToTTenTranz
24 Jun 2022

What an absolute clusterfk and brainless sense of leadership at SIE if they thought Concord was the future of the brand (assuming this rumor has any truth to it).

We won't see much significant improvement unless the ones who put that investment into such a project are exiled from the company, sad to say.

Or kick out the shareholders/investors who pushed for that gambit in the first place.

Reactions: Muddasar and Johnic

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
No way that has cost 400 million.

People are inflating the number now by a mile.

Was it a disaster yer but this is getting beyond ridiculous now.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
$4 billion is 4,000,000,000
$400 mil is $400,000,000
I know. He should have said $4 trillion maybe xDD. I was kidding, I think his number must be fake or didn't get it right.

Maybe the budget was $200M to launch the game and Sony had room to maybe spend add extra up to $200M on potential post-launch stuff depending on the game's performance. Or maybe the other $200M were to acquire the studio. Or something like that.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
What an absolute clusterfk and brainless sense of leadership at SIE if they thought Concord was the future of the brand (assuming this rumor has any truth to it).

We won't see much significant improvement unless the ones who put that investment into such a project are exiled from the company, sad to say.

Well if the numbers are true which I doubt you can bet Sony’s gamble on GaaS is over.

No way Sony Corp will continue bankrolling these duds for Hermen and Co.