Apparently Concord Cost Sony 400 million and was internally championed as future of playstation

OP
OP
quest4441

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
They did not have 20 devs working on the game in 2018 though? I dunno why you guys are so insistent about spreading lies about this game and the Studio?

They didn't even have 20 devs in early 2019 either. They were still working outta an attic then too.

Probably Monsters had a little less than 200 developers spread across 3 studios in 2021... There's just no way anything of what you are hypothetically assuming adds up man.

I get y'all wanna dance on the grave but nothing about this makes sense
Bro until yesterday I believed this game cost somewhere around 150 million, then new news comes which seems plausible and the figure keeps going up. Maybe we will get a concrete idea when the financial reporting takes place next month

I knew this was a bomb but not as much the figure doing the rounds today. I honestly dont want the 400 million to come true because if it is the whole single player pipeline gets fucked too and future is grim for 1st party studios

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This is insane on SO MANY LEVELS !!!!

-What happens when you let woke crown so far up the ladder to make decisions
-Woke hivemind. No critique and critique is THE ONLY AND BEST way to make good games.
-Who in their right mind would say - let's invest 200mil more. wtf
-And finally. Even if the game was amazing... you never ever bet so much money on gaas. Gaas games become popular because of the vibe with kids. It has nothing to do with quality. You make a shitty game, it catches on and then you build on it.

Totally insane and shows that sony is infected with hivemind gaas, not listenint to critique and customer needs.
Imagine bloodborne port that we could have for 1/10th of that or less god fucking damnit.

Sony is so fucked. Something must change there. I feel little hope.

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Does nobody think before they believe every piece of crap these days? Tassi claims Sony has exclusive deals because of Wukong, GTA6 is supposed to cost 2 billion and Concord 400 million? Lol, sure. As "proof" they tweeted the credits for Concord, which last over an hour, while RDR2, which afaik is one of the most expensive games at over 500 million dollars, only has "just under" 40 minutes of credits, but unlike Concord, shows over 30 employees on one page.

Anyone who knows even a little bit about development knows that the number can't be right. I'm guessing that the total costs are 150 million, plus a few million for the weekly CGI sequences. You probably get 400 million if you add up the costs for the studio takeover and the production costs. In addition to the takeover sum, Sony had to pay the "ex publisher" who invested money in Concord and the studio. 400 million in total could be right, but afaik he doesn't say that. There's no chance that Sony will end up investing over 600 million in Concord and the studio.

The 400 million doesn't fit from another perspective either. Sony would never have invested that much and taken the whole game offline after 2 weeks. If it had cost that much, everyone would leave the game online, hope that it brings in some MTX revenue and gets a marketing push from the Secret Level series. There was enough content for the first 2 seasons and there would have been enough time to continue improving the game in the background. That would have cost a lot less than the alleged 400 million and would have cushioned the loss. Not to mention that Sony could have released it on PS+ Extra. None of that happened, which proves that it didn't cost 400 million and Sony is still deciding whether the foundation is enough to rebuild the title and re-release it in 1-2 years.

The game was "good", but even I thought the $40 was cheeky considering how boring the unlockables were. 5 new colors for an outfit and one outfit per character that really looked different was just not much content for the price. Sony probably realized that in the end and pulled the plug. But you don't do that with a game that costs 400 million, you're firing half the team and trying to develop new content cheaply with a small team. I really hope Schreier will provide reliable information. I'm not a big Schreier fan, but he is one of the few reliable sources for this kind of information. If he confirms the story, some of the people at SIE who are responsible for it definitely need to be fired.

Reactions: Eggman

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Bro until yesterday I believed this game cost somewhere around 150 million, then new news comes which seems plausible and the figure keeps going up. Maybe we will get a concrete idea when the financial reporting takes place next month

I knew this was a bomb but not as much the figure doing the rounds today. I honestly dont want the 400 million to come true because if it is the whole single player pipeline gets fucked too and future is grim for 1st party studios

Yes you should wait to see what Sony does next regarding the studio. It's crazy how this game went from 100, to 150, 200, 250, 300.. now 400 million.

While actual devs have shared insight stating they had less than 20 devs in 2019 & was working in a friend's attic, most of the content was developed in the last 4 years... But we are to believe this game cost more than Spiderman 2? While having just 16 characters, 12 maps, 6 basic modes and very basic unlockables you can't even see on the characters?

Then Sony selling it for $40? While allowing the game to launch without an online store??? 🤣

Gaming / gaming media and it's audience are so fucking cooked

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Does nobody think before they believe every piece of crap these days? Tassi claims Sony has exclusive deals because of Wukong, GTA6 is supposed to cost 2 billion and Concord 400 million? Lol, sure. As "proof" they tweeted the credits for Concord, which last over an hour, while RDR2, which afaik is one of the most expensive games at over 500 million dollars, only has "just under" 40 minutes of credits, but unlike Concord, shows over 30 employees on one page.

Anyone who knows even a little bit about development knows that the number can't be right. I'm guessing that the total costs are 150 million, plus a few million for the weekly CGI sequences. You probably get 400 million if you add up the costs for the studio takeover and the production costs. In addition to the takeover sum, Sony had to pay the "ex publisher" who invested money in Concord and the studio. 400 million in total could be right, but afaik he doesn't say that. There's no chance that Sony will end up investing over 600 million in Concord and the studio.

The 400 million doesn't fit from another perspective either. Sony would never have invested that much and taken the whole game offline after 2 weeks. If it had cost that much, everyone would leave the game online, hope that it brings in some MTX revenue and gets a marketing push from the Secret Level series. There was enough content for the first 2 seasons and there would have been enough time to continue improving the game in the background. That would have cost a lot less than the alleged 400 million and would have cushioned the loss. Not to mention that Sony could have released it on PS+ Extra. None of that happened, which proves that it didn't cost 400 million and Sony is still deciding whether the foundation is enough to rebuild the title and re-release it in 1-2 years.

The game was "good", but even I thought the $40 was cheeky considering how boring the unlockables were. 5 new colors for an outfit and one outfit per character that really looked different was just not much content for the price. Sony probably realized that in the end and pulled the plug. But you don't do that with a game that costs 400 million, you're firing half the team and trying to develop new content cheaply with a small team. I really hope Schreier will provide reliable information. I'm not a big Schreier fan, but he is one of the few reliable sources for this kind of information. If he confirms the story, some of the people at SIE who are responsible for it definitely need to be fired.
Colin said his source is legit. The dude is as honest as they get. he is not wrong

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Lol Halo infinite cost $500m. Not a bad figure for Concord.
Thats doesn't mean I believe the $400m number. Just saying that it's possible.
Halo infinite had a huge studio working on it and then had to reboot the entire game and delay it few months before launch 🤔

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Colin's entire brand is built around PlayStation and being a fan of PlayStation so I don't see any reason to lie about any of this as he would be shooting himself in the foot if he did plus he rarely if ever has any "stuff" or "info" like he used to have so if he's giving details like this, yeah, I 100% believe him.

And with Hulst, you can kinda see it. He's going overboard with the Horizon IP so yeah, none of this surprises me whatsoever. It's probably one of the reasons why Sony decided on having two CEO's because if it was just Hulst, I would have concerns but since I know he has people above him, no worries here because he'll either get in line or he'll be let go.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Lol Halo infinite cost $500m. Not a bad figure for Concord.
Thats doesn't mean I believe the $400m number. Just saying that it's possible.

Only way it is possible if they included the acquisition cost for Firewalk.

Which according to the video isn’t included.

Madness.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Colin is pretty trustworthy, but I can’t get behind $400m on a new IP and a new studio, that would be some real bad business… uncharacteristically bad.

He did also start a Bloodborne bluepoint rumour, and that has yet to happen. He’s hit or miss.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Colin is pretty trustworthy, but I can’t get behind $400m on a new IP and a new studio, that would be some real bad business… uncharacteristically bad.

He did also start a Bloodborne bluepoint rumour, and that has yet to happen. He’s hit or miss.
It could be that Bloodborne remake was under pre production and is currently in hold. He may or may not be wrong. We can't judge him based on that. Also, not everyone gathering inside information can secure 100% correct information.
Again, I question that $400m figure. It's too high to believe.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
You have to be delusional to believe Concord cost double that of Horizon Forbidden West to make
On top of that a 5v5 Hero Shooter which is one of the more cheaper games to produce even if the game had high production quality.
400 million for 6-8 (allegedly 12) maps and 16 characters in 3 years?

GoW:R was around 200, LoU2 for 220 and SM2 at 300 million. But Concord has a 400 million budget. Hmmm.

I could believe it if it was for Marathon going off the headcount either he's mixing up or his source is not aware of the Xbox Ambassador program ending.

Reactions: Eggman

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
PS want to fuck around & find? Let them. The fact is even thoe concord is mid trash if it just release on PS it would’ve gotten less dogpile & could’ve been build upon in the long run. Ofc the game stood no chance but if it was a good multiplayer like Nintendo splattoon just like Nintendo focusing on 1 group allows them to build a extreme hardcore fan for that specific multiplayer

And if PS doesn’t does anything to change the negative narrative & aura surrounding there multiplayer games fairgames will be another 200 million dollar flop. If I was PS I would be making all live service games exclusive to the PS pc launcher so public numbers wouldn’t be such a major conversation also allows to build the game up if the game has moderate success. Start off we Horizon online & Ghost of sushi exclusive to the PS PC launcher even explore free to play to further draw more people easier, PS needs to become more like riot, ubisoft in the PC realm.

Make fairgames free to play, make it exclusive to the PS PC launcher, invest & build fairgames as a strong console focus multiplayer first w PC second in mind, do cool collabs do bring new audience. Hell maybe even do a close alpha on console first just so people don’t pick at the steam numbers which if low or moderate will bring narratives of “PS next big flop?”

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

It would make sense.

The developers are located in Washington pretty expensive place + 4-5 years of development + the weekly cutscene + the Amazon show the game development is like 100-200 million another 50 million in cutscenes through the year + the Amazon show which is like 50-100 million for promotion

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
This is insane on SO MANY LEVELS !!!!

-What happens when you let woke crown so far up the ladder to make decisions
-Woke hivemind. No critique and critique is THE ONLY AND BEST way to make good games.
-Who in their right mind would say - let's invest 200mil more. wtf
-And finally. Even if the game was amazing... you never ever bet so much money on gaas. Gaas games become popular because of the vibe with kids. It has nothing to do with quality. You make a shitty game, it catches on and then you build on it.

Totally insane and shows that sony is infected with hivemind gaas, not listenint to critique and customer needs.
Imagine bloodborne port that we could have for 1/10th of that or less god fucking damnit.

Sony is so fucked. Something must change there. I feel little hope.
This reminds me of tlou online. Naughty dog was trying make an ambition multiplayer game which from the leak was a battle royal that would have story driven aspect & tbh for a battle royal & just multiplayer no one cares about the story. People only care if the game is fun to play, is it content rich, is there progression, is it free to play? TLOU & concord has a lot in common & concord flop hard because a misunderstanding on what exactly makes a multiplayer game successful.

Reactions: rofif