Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66-69%

• 70-74%

• 75-79%

• 80-84%

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Didnt move the needle. ahh well

It did move the needle. You can see its placement among 94s changed. It just wasn't enough to get it to a 95.

Unfortunately, too many reviews in the 80s and that one sub 80 and too many flat 90s.

Would need a handful of additional 100s at this point.

You maybe have 16-17 more publications who could review. Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok both had 151 and 150 reviews. So you might have some more reviews spilling in over the next month or so.

I think getting a 95 average would lock it in for GOTY, but it might not need that either.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
one sub 80
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
It did move the needle. You can see its placement among 94s changed. It just wasn't enough to get it to a 95.

Unfortunately, too many reviews in the 80s and that one sub 80 and too many flat 90s.

You maybe have 16-17 more publications who could review. Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok both had 151 and 150 reviews. So you might have some more reviews spilling in over the next month or so.

I think getting a 95 average would lock it in for GOTY, but it might not need that either.
hmm ok. Its a lock for goty, it might even sweep more than TLoU did 10 years ago.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
hmm ok. Its a lock for goty, it might even sweep more than TLoU did 10 years ago.

I thought it was going to be a lock too, but I don't know if it is.

It has some stiff competition and the game has gotten a lot less traction than I thought it would with consumers (which doesn't always disqualify you for something like this).

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I thought it was going to be a lock too, but I don't know if it is.

It has some stiff competition and the game has gotten a lot less traction than I thought it would with consumers (which doesn't always disqualify you for something like this).
i hear ya, but Geoff aint letting down Asobi. Astro gonna sweep.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I still think Astro Bot is the front runner. I don't think Rebirth will win cause there has been a uproar the last two-three award shows where the complaint about remakes being nominated for GOTY has increased and Geoff has gone on record saying they're open to the idea of taking remakes away from GOTY nomination and creating a best remake of the year category. The thing that might get in the way of Helldivers 2 taking it is that people just have a bad taste in their mouth whenever they see a multiplayer only game winning GOTY. Overwatch taking GOTY in 2016 comes to mind with folks' reaction to that. Dragon's Dogma 2 felt like people cut the honeymoon phase of that game real quick. The talk about lack of proper end game contents and the long waiting of hearing about dlcs especially been at an all time high. And Nintendo really been having a quiet year. I know Echoes of Wisdom received like a 87 meta but the talk around that game while positive doesn't match the same sentiment that was felt with Mario Wonder last year.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

It would have got a 95, if IGN would have given it a 10. Nothing wrong with a 9. But the reasons that reviewer game for not giving it a 10, “It’s not as good as the Mario Galaxy games and Odyssey” was stupid.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Astro would have been a ten to me with one more Galaxy. It felt just a couple hours short of perfect

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Astro would have been a ten to me with one more Galaxy. It felt just a couple hours short of perfect

Personally I gave the game a 9.5/10.

I thought it was amazing, but there were some quirks to the game that made it feel like a drag. A lot of repetition with the retro levels, I thought the load times could have been slightly better (I know, I know), the monkey mechanic felt labored, the design of some of the bosses were somewhat lacking, particularly the final boss. The aquatic stuff also didn't feel as well fleshed out as it could have.

If pressed I was closer to a 9 than a 10.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Super Mario has mediocre platforming. It just doesn't feel good.

Not really. It's boring because the setting and characters are played out but the above has been said about Astro Bot on the purple forum. They couldn't accept an Edge 10.