Baldur's Gate 3 is coming to Xbox this year without split-screen coop on the Series S

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Baldur's Gate 3 Xbox Release Date is moving foward. The game will feature cross-progresison between Steam and Xbox.

Super happy to confirm that after meeting @XboxP3 yesterday, we’ve found a solution that allows us to bring Baldur’s Gate 3 to Xbox players this year still, something we’ve been working towards for quite some time.
All improvements will be there, with split-screen coop on Series X. Series S will not feature split-screen coop, but will also include cross-save progression between Steam and Xbox Series.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is solid news. Decent precedent going forward for Series S parity. MS should make sure they have games coming that actually do support local MP on the S tho, because that's a major draw for casual players.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Of course lol. This might be the end of parity between the S and the X.

Desperate time requires desperate measures.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Excellent, they broke 'em.

edit: I'd be okay with Series S if it had a physical media option, even if you had to buy it separately. As is, fuck it.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Does this mean split-screen is never coming to the S, or that it will just take longer to implement?

24 Jun 2022
Class-action lawsuit should be imminent. Microsoft deserves it, for misleading people who genuinely purchased a Series S expecting content parity with Series X and lower resolution. Baldur's Gate 3 will NOT be the last 3P game getting an exemption on parity; it will be the first. Many more 3P games will insist similar exceptions or threaten to skip releasing on Xbox platforms (in some cases, at all).

That said, I DO think it's the right decision by Microsoft ultimately to drop the parity requirement between Series systems. It's an ultimate admittance that they feel Series S was a mistake, a doorstop and dead-end. This generation's 32X, essentially. But at least they have means and time (and leverage) to fix the problem, unlike Sega back in the day.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Class-action lawsuit should be imminent. Microsoft deserves it, for misleading people who genuinely purchased a Series S expecting content parity with Series X and lower resolution. Baldur's Gate 3 will NOT be the last 3P game getting an exemption on parity; it will be the first. Many more 3P games will insist similar exceptions or threaten to skip releasing on Xbox platforms (in some cases, at all).

That said, I DO think it's the right decision by Microsoft ultimately to drop the parity requirement between Series systems. It's an ultimate admittance that they feel Series S was a mistake, a doorstop and dead-end. This generation's 32X, essentially. But at least they have means and time (and leverage) to fix the problem, unlike Sega back in the day.
If you're buying an xbox product you're signing up to get shitted on by microsoft so this should have been well within expectations already. i mean this is the group of people who haven't gotten a decent first party AAA game in like 7 years and line up with the "please sir, may I have another" act