Baldur's Gate 3 is coming to Xbox this year without split-screen coop on the Series S

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Ah well I said just yesterday I didn't see how they would be able to get parity. Glad Xbox agrees it's impossible too.

OP
OP
John Elden Ring

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Did they not advertise the Series S as having full feature parity with Series X? How do they not get sued.

Anything to stop Playstation from having an exclusive I guess

The true goal of the Series S is to be more appealing to countries with less income.

The idea that it's a true next-gen console is pure marketing bullshit.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Lol, man this Gen will be F’ed up for Xbox going forward. Devs will come out of the woodwork expecting to cut corners to save on dev costs and time.

What a blunder.
This gen has been f’d up for Xbox since it started. How tf do you release a console with zero launch titles?!? Your flagship game gets delayed an entire year and still comes out awful. This will be the worst Xbox gen ever

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The true goal of the Series S is to be more appealing to countries with less income.

Even if i was poor, i would rather save up for the more powerful console or just get a switch

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Countries with shit income play on PC. Shitty PCs. In those countries, a device designed specifically to play games is a luxury regardless of price. That's why a all-in-one device like a PC is popular for gaming. Speaking from experience. You're not wrong but I'm not sure MS' market research paid off.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They could have cut it from all versions of the game. Seems more of a novelty these days. Split-screen multiplayer experiences pretty much died after the N64.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
They could have cut it from all versions of the game. Seems more of a novelty these days. Split-screen multiplayer experiences pretty much died after the N64.
Probably. Maybe Larian used it to push an agenda to fuck off Series S 😜

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I use split screen multiplayer daily here…

Even so. It’s a niche enough feature that it could’ve been shelved if they had to and still kept their co-op aspirations intact in the more common online setting. It seems silly to have this parity be a thing for the series s when it’s handicapped. Depends how much of a priority a multi platform launch would’ve have been for them but this seems to be working out fine.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
This gen has been f’d up for Xbox since it started. How tf do you release a console with zero launch titles?!? Your flagship game gets delayed an entire year and still comes out awful. This will be the worst Xbox gen ever

Redfall and the 60 FPS debacle comes to mind too. Not to mention Redfall was just a shit game overall and MS hyped that shit for months before release. It will be interesting to see whether Starfield breaks this trend or continues it.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Redfall and the 60 FPS debacle comes to mind too. Not to mention Redfall was just a shit game overall and MS hyped that shit for months before release. It will be interesting to see whether Starfield breaks this trend or continues it.
Bathesda pedigree should underpin it’s greatness, Fallout76 notwithstanding- but GaaS is hard, and this was their first venture into the genre.

Even so, many are saying 76 now is not what it was on release and actually good, with the recent 60fps ps5 patch I may check it out.

The 30fps kills the deal for me tho, simply do not feel compelled to game at 30, to many other games to play to bother.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Even so. It’s a niche enough feature that it could’ve been shelved if they had to and still kept their co-op aspirations intact in the more common online setting. It seems silly to have this parity be a thing for the series s when it’s handicapped. Depends how much of a priority a multi platform launch would’ve have been for them but this seems to be working out fine.
If you follow the early access the split screen feature was one of the most requested features.
Larian even had to make several blog posts talking that it was coming.

I don't think it is that niche like you guys belives 🤷‍♂️

For example for me a racing game without split screen is basically useless and won't be played here at all.
Think like a fighting game or a FIFA game not having the Player vs Player mode... it is that big of importance.

Of course I have a big family and receive friends frequently at home... so I use a lot split screen.
And no... one person playing at living home while the other plays in the bed room is not the same experience of both be side by side playing toghether... it so fun... with people watching it becoming even better.

Now talking about the parity issues I disagree... the issue is not the parity policy but the Series S hardware should never be launched in a new generation... it offer minor improviments over the previous generation and holds the development of new game to very mininum base... Series S makes games developed only to next-generation machines to feel like previous generation games.

Series S is a very anti-consumer machine in terms of what you can expect from a new generation.
A terrible bad move from Microsoft that just not affect Sony's first party or 3rd-party exclusive deals.

And whatever we move in the generation it will alienate more and more gamers... see Naruto where if you choose to play the MP in 60fps you basicaly exclude all Series S from the pool (alienation).

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
If you follow the early access the split screen feature was one of the most requested features.
Larian even had to make several blog posts talking that it was coming.

I don't think it is that niche like you guys belives 🤷‍♂️

For example for me a racing game without split screen is basically useless and won't be played here at all.
Think like a fighting game or a FIFA game not having the Player vs Player mode... it is that big of importance.

Of course I have a big family and receive friends frequently at home... so I use a lot split screen.
And no... one person playing at living home while the other plays in the bed room is not the same experience of both be side by side playing toghether... it so fun... with people watching it becoming even better.

Now talking about the parity issues I disagree... the issue is not the parity policy but the Series S hardware should never be launched in a new generation... it offer minor improviments over the previous generation and holds the development of new game to very mininum base... Series S makes games developed only to next-generation machines to feel like previous generation games.

Series S is a very anti-consumer machine in terms of what you can expect from a new generation.
A terrible bad move from Microsoft that just not affect Sony's first party or 3rd-party exclusive deals.

Series S is a mistake. It’s more similar to the PS4 pro and Xbox One X as cross gen machine. They botched the whole gen 🤣

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Bathesda pedigree should underpin it’s greatness, Fallout76 notwithstanding- but GaaS is hard, and this was their first venture into the genre.

Even so, many are saying 76 now is not what it was on release and actually good, with the recent 60fps ps5 patch I may check it out.

The 30fps kills the deal for me tho, simply do not feel compelled to game at 30, to many other games to play to bother.

My take on Bethesda pedigree is a little different than yours. Their games are enjoyable enough, but are severely hampered by technical issues - including game-breaking bugs which are never patched no matter how many times a game is released. I just ran into one in Skyrim on PS4. There's also balance issues, writing issues, etc.

I'm not sure that Redfall's problems had a lot to do with being GaaS. Releasing empty, bare-bones, glitchy/buggy games is not a GaaS requirement. I'm speaking of Redfall and Fallout 76 here, of course. Fallout 76 still has issues and always will technically because it's Bethesda. That game also had a lot of other problems - relating to broken promises, monetization, etc. It's great that they kept at it and improved the game over time, but the fact that they released it in the state it was says a lot.