Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

babee9c954509a0d34a67e7d125b679096ef9d79-scaled.jpg

Baldurs-Gate-3-1.jpg

Q: When does Baldur's Gate III Reviews Drop?
A:
Baldur's Gate III Reviews Drop alongside the game's release

Game Information:​

Game Title: Baldur's Gate 3
Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 3, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 6, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Larian Studios

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 94 average - 100% recommended

iz1mW5b.png

MetaCritic PC - 97/100 - Must Play

hNrQeVH.png

MetaCritic PS5 -TBA

Critic Reviews:​

Critic Reviews​

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Unscored
Video Review - Quote not available
Attack of the Fanboy - Noah Nelson - Unscored
Baldur's Gate 3 shocks me with it's high level of player freedom found in customization, decisions, and consequences, and the compelling stories, both micro and macro, mixed with the expansive gameplay possibilities.
Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - Unscored
Although my time with the game hasn’t been enough to yet form a full critique, I can already tell that Baldur’s Gate 3 is a very impressive feather in Larian Studio’s cap.
Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 5 / 5
Baldur’s Gate 3 isn’t just a return; it’s a renaissance of the RPG genre. Through intricate design, storytelling par excellence, and honoring the legacy of D&D, the game establishes itself as a titan in the gaming arena.
GGRecon - Ava Thompson-Powell - Unscored
Larian Studios is on a heck of a hot streak, and Baldur’s Gate 3’s early signs suggest it could be the studio’s biggest success to date. With rich lore and ample customisation for how you approach the world alongside gorgeous visuals, it’s shaping up to be a title that I’ll remember for a long time - and I’m only in Act 1.
Game Rant - Shane Robert Moyer - 4.5 / 5
Baldur’s Gate 3 is something special, though. Its complexity is intimidating, but sticking with it and learning has such a high reward threshold that it's hard to not recommend the sequel to even the most casual gamers out there. It has heart, it has style, and it has the multi-year effort of a studio that obviously loves its source material. The mind-blowing size of the game itself and everything contained within is a testament to Larian Studios' dedication to its craft and commitment to bringing something incredible to the gaming public. The blend of the various Dungeon & Dragons systems into the game is almost flawless in its execution, and the math and storytelling combo does a one-two punch on almost every other RPG game out there. High quality and astoundingly fun, Baldur’s Gate 3 may just become the kind of game that old and new fans can agree is something extraordinary.
Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 100 / 100
Baldur’s Gate 3 is nothing short of a masterpiece. The story is incredible, the world gorgeous and immersive, voice-over and writing of the highest quality, an amazing soundtrack, everything comes together in near perfect harmony. It’s not only the best RPG of the year, it’s the RPG of a generation.
GamesRadar+ - Ali Jones - Unscored
For now, suffice to say that Baldur's Gate 3 feels a little bit like Larian has accomplished the impossible. This is an entire, years-long pen-and-paper roleplaying campaign realized in beautiful fidelity, in a way that brings every tiny detail of your mind's eye to life.
GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 10 / 10
Like Divinity: Original Sin 2, Baldur's Gate 3 redefines what a role-playing game can offer in character-building, combat, story-telling and choice. It's a compelling experience that simply shouldn't be missed.
GamingTrend - David Flynn, Ron Burke - Unscored
They simply don’t make ‘em like this, and I can’t wait to experience all this game has to offer.
God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - Unscored
And yet what I’ve played so far has me utterly enraptured. Now I’ve spent time learning to fight by the game’s rules, learning that if I want to succeed I have to read everything, study every spell, understand the intricacies of the dice rolls both shown and hidden, I am beginning to understand what the game wants from me. It’s gargantuan, intricate, complex and utterly unwilling to treat anyone softly and Larian don’t seem overly worried that this may put people off. Time will tell if it does, but for now I’m both stunned and awed by the potential here, and I’m happy to be intimidated by the adventure that lies before me.
Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 96 / 100
Baldur's Gate 3 is an outstanding role-playing game, both playable and technical (still with areas to be polished via patch), one that, in addition, is called to become one of the references of the genre by taking some ideas, such as the election system and its reactive world, to a level that others do not even dream of.
IGN - Leana Hafer - Unscored
On the whole, I really am loving Baldur's Gate 3 so far.
IGN Spain - Guillermo Proupín - Spanish - 10 / 10
With Baldur's Gate III Larian Studios redefines the meaning of open world and creates a masterpiece that elevates the classic RPG to a new level that will take years to surpass.
Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - Unscored
It’ll be a close run thing, and we also haven’t decided whether Badlur’s Gate is deserving of a 10/10 score, but the fact that it’s even a question should give you an indication of just how good this game is.
Niche Gamer - Brandon Lyttle - 9 / 10
Ultimately, Baldur’s Gate 3 is virtually everything I’d want out of a tactical RPG. Like the Divinity series it ditched the live-combat in favor of more interactive tactical combat, it remains rooted firmly in the lore of Forgotten Realms, and it’s not afraid to be gritty with its depictions of violence, dark magic, and the brutality of life in the near lawless life of a fantasy adventurer.
NoobFeed - Jay Claassen - 95 / 100
Baldur’s Gate 3 is the long-awaited masterpiece we all need. It might not have all the mechanics from Dungeons & Dragons, but it does have enough for even a newcomer to start getting into it while getting an intensely rich story to experience as well. With its epic character customization, dialogues, and vast world, this is definitely the type of game you’d get lost in for hours on end. Aside from the unfortunate downside to going multiplayer, this game is still best experienced with friends, provided you get along well enough. Or not, the chaos is still great.
PCGamesN - Paul Kelly - Unscored
Baldur’s Gate 3’s world is beautiful, layered and complex, and challenges you to attack it how you want. And though this is what makes it a little daunting, it’s also what makes me eager to dive back in and see where the adventure is going.
Screen Rant - Cody Gravelle - Unscored
Baldur's Gate 3 is imposing in stature and its best moments are truly memorable, but some early issues with scale suggest an uneven experience.
Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10
Baldur’s Gate 3 easily cements itself as a titan of the roleplaying genre. With incredibly faithful recreations of D&D’s game system and lore, BG3 easily serves as a substitute to Dungeons & Dragons than can be played alone or with friends. If you’ve never played D&D, you’re in for a surprise as you learn just how much freedom and player expression is built into Baldur’s Gate 3’s truly unique experience.
Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - Unscored
As of now, however, I feel Larian Studios has done a tremendous job, creating one, if not the most engaging cRPG in a very long time.
We Got This Covered - Ash Martinez - 4.5 / 5
An excellent follow-up to its decades-old predecessor, 'Baldur's Gate III' sets a new gold standard for RPGs in the modern age. Though it has its fair share of buggy problems, the vibrant world, intriguing storytelling, and captivating gameplay more than make up for its shortcomings.
Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9 / 10
Baldur's Gate III is everything an RPG adventure should be. It's appropriately epic while also spending time with the small moments. It allows you to feel powerful while also rewarding you for being clever and avoiding trouble. It offers the class fantasy of everything from a stalwart paladin to a hellish abomination, from fast-talking trickster to rage-filled barbarian. It has its quirks and flaws, but they usually add welcome texture to the game. Perhaps most importantly of all, it captures the feeling of sitting down and playing through a D&D adventure with some friends.
ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 9.5 / 10
The team at Larian Studios are to be commended, Baldur’s Gate 3 is nothing short of a masterpiece when it comes to RPG’s.
eXputer - Huzaifah Durrani - 5 / 5
Baldur's Gate 3 is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and a testament to the talent of developer Larian Studios.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ohhhh it launches today on PC... I forget it.

I hope PS5 version doesn't have the PC bugs (mostly like won't have).

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The systems Larian has built could make for an incredible 1st/3rd person open world RPG like Elder Scrolls. It's deeper than Bethesda's aging Creation Engine, and the environmental simulation stuff is cooler than anything.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
From the impressions, this seems like a GOTY contender. Couldn't be happier for Larian, between them, Osidian and Owlcat they've kept the cRPG genre alive and with BG3's success it might start thriving again.

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
It warms my cold dark gaming heart to see the long time hardworking dev team at Larian get the props they deserve (through sales & pure customer excitement) in the face of many 300+ people teams who just cant seem to hit the mark.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I just played through the opening and it makes a great first impression. So many weird, cool character designs, good writing, terrifying enemies. They let you bring the camera in much closer than Divinity which immediately feels like a big upgrade. Unfortunately combat jumps out to a isometric camera which is kind of jarring. I'm excited to dig more into the RPG mechanics. This world seems awesome.

Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It warms my cold dark gaming heart to see the long time hardworking dev team at Larian get the props they deserve (through sales & pure customer excitement) in the face of many 300+ people teams who just cant seem to hit the mark.
They are putting it on PlayStation this time that will almost double the sales and exposure.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If Playstation was smart they'd make a bundle for this just to twist the knife further in.
It would of been smart regardless of the twisting the knife. The Harry Potter deal was a good partnership, but they should of also done something like this, a WRPG, more for hardcore fans but also popular

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The systems Larian has built could make for an incredible 1st/3rd person open world RPG like Elder Scrolls. It's deeper than Bethesda's aging Creation Engine, and the environmental simulation stuff is cooler than anything.
Yep. Add this and Nihon Falcons best efforts ( World/Npc interaction) and it would be special

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
From the impressions, this seems like a GOTY contender. Couldn't be happier for Larian, between them, Osidian and Owlcat they've kept the cRPG genre alive and with BG3's success it might start thriving again.
Will be big if this game can win GOTY

A first time for crpg game

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I played about an hour tonight. It's actually really fucking good. Like, I was actually surprised how good. The graphics are current gen (obviously not as good as sony games but they're pretty decent), and the amount of options you have even in the tutorial level are IMMENSE. I got the feeling that every choice I was making was impactful on the story. If this holds up for the rest of the game Larian have created a game that might go down as an all-timer. I'm actually really surprised as this game was kind of dropping below the radar for me even a month ago (like I knew about it, had seen parts of it, hell I played a bit of early access a long long time ago). But now I'm really looking forward to this weekend.