Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Yep, but it’s pretty difficult so I gave up, unless you have certain spells which I didn’t. You have to run past them without killing them, and once Ethel dies they break free from her curse and no longer try to attack you. If you do end up saving them, they thank you.
I used the non-lethal hits when they got down in HP - left them there knocked out - I should probably go back! (This thread ade me remember them)

Reactions: JAHGamer

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I had to too sadly, they're way too strong and annoying. But I felt bad about it since they kept trying to resist her magic. Did you drink from the well in front of her house after defeating her? I always went back there after each long rest for that buff.
I drank it before. It was a trap because it weakens you in the fight against her

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Very happy to see the PS folks getting a taste of this wonderful game!

I'm near the end of Act 2 and I don't want the game to end. LOL! I'll pick it back up soon but I'm glad you guys like the game so much. It's a welcome change compared to the reception of the Sony 1st party games (i.e. glad it's a multiplatform game that you guys are excited about for a change).
Well, it takes a very very good game to match the high quality of PlayStation first party masterpieces. Baldur's Gate 3 seems to be the exception confirming the rule.

• they're_right_you_know

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Well, it takes a very very good game to match the high quality of PlayStation first party masterpieces. Baldur's Gate 3 seems to be the exception confirming the rule.
All PS 1st party games aren't masterpieces especially in the story driven ones. And BG3 is more of a masterpiece than most of them tbh.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
All PS 1st party games aren't masterpieces

He didn't say all.

especially in the story driven ones.

Sure, Jan.

And BG3 is more of a masterpiece than most of them tbh.

There's no PS Studios game that's remotely comparable to BG3 (genre wise).

Did someone at sony fuck your wife? Or did you get rejected by them for a gig? Because you feel like you need to constantly talk poorly about them.

Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
All PS 1st party games aren't masterpieces especially in the story driven ones. And BG3 is more of a masterpiece than most of them tbh.

Well, most of the story driven ones are masterpieces, and they usually also set the bar graphically. The fur in Ratchet and Clank is unmatched, as is the vegetation in HFW. And TLOU2 still looks better than most current-gen games.

Of course there are some stinkers, like Destruction All-Stars.

I haven't played BG3 yet, so I can't judge, but I really hope it's equally good or better than PS 1st party. It's tiresome to wait for Sony or Nintendo to release the next exceptional game.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well, most of the story driven ones are masterpieces, and they usually also set the bar graphically. The fur in Ratchet and Clank is unmatched, as is the vegetation in HFW. And TLOU2 still looks better than most current-gen games.

the office no GIF

I haven't played BG3 yet, so I can't judge, but I really hope it's equally good or better than PS 1st party. It's tiresome to wait for Sony or Nintendo to release the next exceptional game.

Considering there's no gender equivalency at PS Studios or Nintendo, I'd say it is up to both their standards for sure.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
BG3 doesn't excel in the areas Playstation 1st party games usually excel. It has camera glitches all over the place, graphics are good but not incredible, it doesn't have the same attention to detail on controller feel. Its DNA is in the same primordial PC soup that Bethesda and Bioware games crawled out of. And by those standards, it raises the bar to an insane degree. I'm jokingly calling it the best game of all time (cmon is it really better than Rocket League???), but among its RPG peers it definitely gives that impression.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
BG3 doesn't excel in the areas Playstation 1st party games usually excel. It has camera glitches all over the place, graphics are good but not incredible, it doesn't have the same attention to detail on controller feel. Its DNA is in the same primordial PC soup that Bethesda and Bioware games crawled out of. And by those standards, it raises the bar to an insane degree. I'm jokingly calling it the best game of all time (cmon is it really better than Rocket League???), but among its RPG peers it definitely gives that impression.

You can't directly compare a PS Studios game with BG3. The matter here is: Is it to the same standard? Yes, yes it is. Even though theres' some glitches here and there, and controller is not perfect, this is an RPG, not an action game. Even graphically it's one of the best pure RPGs out there.

As far as RPG's go, it's very close to being the GOAT.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
BG3 excels in a lot of areas that matter most to a good gaming experience. It doesn't matter what platform it is on. I think that's the point.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
A game is a game no matter what the genre is.

Nope, not at all.

A game is a game? Nice! So let's compare racing games with elden ring! I'd say iRacing is much better than it, no?

You just can't help yourself.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
A game is a game? Nice! So let's compare racing games with elden ring! I'd say iRacing is much better than it, no?

You just can't help yourself.
There is only 1 GOTY at awards time. And yes, if people thought a particular racing game was better than any other game, it would get voted GOTY.

Zelda isn't a FPS, a racer, a fighting game, or a CRPG like FF, BG3, etc.. but it could literally win GOTY. Likewise with BG3 winning GOTY as a CRPG.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
There is only 1 GOTY at awards time. And yes, if people thought a particular racing game was better than any other game, it would get voted GOTY.

Zelda isn't a FPS, a racer, a fighting game, or a CRPG like FF, BG3, etc.. but it could literally win GOTY. Likewise with BG3 winning GOTY as a CRPG.

Holy mother of moving goalposts. There's not even a way to answe this, you really bent your back to reach that conclusion.