Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Everything in the game just breeds polish. Even the sounds of the weapons and spells are alluring to hear. I haven't gotten to Act 2 yet as I want to thoroughly explore everything (every box, chest, hidden doorway, etc..). I hear Act 2 is short and Act 3 is the longest game time. I'm a little over 60hrs still in Act 1.
Yeah, the sound design is good, and the echo effect when casting spells is 👌 I haven't explored everything but I haven't rushed it either because there is so much compelling stuff to do and discover in the game. I fully intend to replay it, making different decisions. I've also just been mostly rolling with the dice, even if stuff isn't going how I wanted. I had hoped to finish it before Starfield but I don't expect to do so.

Reactions: Frozone

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Some shots from the Steam Deck

Wait until Act 3... The polish falls off and bugs start popping up more frequently.

Still the current GOTY though, bugs and all 👑
Heard that patch 4 has addressed a lot of bugs in Act 3. I've run into a few which were very minor like facial animation not being in sync with the dialogue. Any major bugs on your end?

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Heard that patch 4 has addressed a lot of bugs in Act 3. I've run into a few which were very minor like facial animation not being in sync with the dialogue. Any major bugs on your end?
Had some pathfinding ones which cost me some battles lol

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
One little issue I've seen in the game is that some NPC ambient conversation will repeat over and over and over again. In the Goblin Camp, Dror Ragzlin has a little rallying speech saying things like "You will REIGNNNNN!!!". As I positioned my party to slice that fool, I probably heard his rant 30 times. There's not even a timeout with it, he just keeps going on an endless loop.

In Grymforge, Mind Master Dunnol "BLAST THE THING TO BITS!! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!" - he does not stop saying this.

Last edited:
  • haha

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Yeah, the sound design is good, and the echo effect when casting spells is 👌 I haven't explored everything but I haven't rushed it either because there is so much compelling stuff to do and discover in the game. I fully intend to replay it, making different decisions. I've also just been mostly rolling with the dice, even if stuff isn't going how I wanted. I had hoped to finish it before Starfield but I don't expect to do so.
Same here man. I'm still in Act 1 after 70hrs. LOL! I just like the world and being in it and exploring shit.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Same here man. I'm still in Act 1 after 70hrs. LOL! I just like the world and being in it and exploring shit.
I just restarted my character after about 25 hours because I hated playing as the Dark Urge. Killing good innocent people I liked isn't fun and there's no way to avoid it sometimes 😢 Definitely the worst beginning option to pick. It kinda killed my motivation to play but I'm still loving the game.

• sad

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I just restarted my character after about 25 hours because I hated playing as the Dark Urge. Killing good innocent people I liked isn't fun and there's no way to avoid it sometimes 😢 Definitely the worst beginning option to pick. It kinda killed my motivation to play but I'm still loving the game.
Didnt you read his background lol

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Didnt you read his background lol
All it said was "You remember nothing of your past besides that you walked a path paved with blood. As you venture on, you find yourself inescapably drawn towards unimaginable cruelties. Where do these thoughts come from?" - this doesn't really say that you're gonna become a super evil character with no way to counteract it.

I thought it was a good mix of playing as an Origin and a custom character, but you have absolutely NO CONTROL over certain aspects of the game. Really bad things are out of your control, it's pretty stupid. Even if you're supposed to be evil, you should get to pick and choose when to be evil, but there is no choice. The game just kills cool innocent characters and there's nothing you can do about it.

• brain

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
All it said was "You remember nothing of your past besides that you walked a path paved with blood. As you venture on, you find yourself inescapably drawn towards unimaginable cruelties. Where do these thoughts come from?" - this doesn't really say that you're gonna become a super evil character with no way to counteract it.

I thought it was a good mix of playing as an Origin and a custom character, but you have absolutely NO CONTROL over certain aspects of the game. Really bad things are out of your control, it's pretty stupid. Even if you're supposed to be evil, you should get to pick and choose when to be evil, but there is no choice. The game just kills cool innocent characters and there's nothing you can do about it.
So you picked an edgy character and are mad it's too edgy for you... lesson learned. As soon as i watched the intro cinematic i knew this dude was gonna be a mass murderer lol

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
So you picked an edgy character and are mad it's too edgy for you... lesson learned. As soon as i watched the intro cinematic i knew this dude was gonna be a mass murderer lol
pretty much...I didn't watch the intro cinematics tho, I wanted to go in as blind as possible but I guess that backfired

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Thanks for the heads up. This is gonna be awesome but I wonder if Ill finish AC before then
Yea, I was just about to hit the "Buy" button on AC but I know I'm not that interested in the game for now. I will get it but probably after Starfield. Starfield is so close now it's really silly to get started with AC.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yea, I was just about to hit the "Buy" button on AC but I know I'm not that interested in the game for now. I will get it but probably after Starfield. Starfield is so close now it's really silly to get started with AC.
Makes sense with Starfield being a large game. And doesnt sound like AC is a short game either.

I wonder how AC plays being so long and no open world/connecting levels..
Im probably gonna play BG3 for a bit and then dive in deep when I return from asia

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
My AC6 is going to have a hard stop on the 6th. Wish the BG3 and AC6 came to PS5 with more seperation :confused:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
10/10 from Edge. TBF they didn't review Hogwarts Legacy so they should probably be removed from Metacritic.
Yeap amazing.
Even Edge giving 10… when was the last one?

Edit - Maybe outdated but these are the games that received 10 from Edge.

• Super Mario 64 (1996)
  • Gran Turismo (1997)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
  • Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
  • Half-Life 2 (2004)
  • Halo 3 (2007)
  • The Orange Box (2007)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
  • Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
  • LittleBigPlanet (2008)
  • Bayonetta (2009)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
  • Rock Band 3 (2010)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
  • The Last of Us (2013)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
  • Bayonetta 2 (2014)
  • Bloodborne (2015)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (2023)
  • Baldur’s Gate III (2023)

Reactions: anonpuffs