Best combat in video games? I've started the list but I'd like to hear what games ppl really like due to it's stellar combat.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
As the title refers to what games could you play over and over because the combat is so good? For me the most important aspect of a game is it's combat, if I don't enjoy it idc how good the story is or how good it looks, I will drop it like I did Witcher 3 and others. These are some of my favorite series/games with stand out combat...

GOW series:

1705667128101.png

From the original games to the reboot there are many diff weapons to choose from, great upgrade paths and the combat is just heavy hitting. Also very visceral which I love! Get those combos going and it's a treat to see.

TLOU Series:

1705667246700.png

Just super visceral, bloody and detailed. Many different weapons at your disposal and they pack a punch. Killing animations are varied, high quality and best I've seen. Graphically it makes combat movement stand out because it so ahead of the curve. Also upgrade paths for weapons via the bench. Different way to kill enemies whether via stealth or head on. No one does it better imo. Hell of a triumph for what some call "cinematic walking simulator" 🤣

BLOODBORNE/SOULS Series:

1705667453361.png
1705667498849.png

Although combat in these two are different I decided to stack them because I didn't want to hog up this OP thread. But no game gives me such a great collection of weapons and magic tht just feels right than these games. So many different varieties and purposes and killing enemies just feels bad ass.

Ghost of Tsushima:

1705667703420.png

Ah man who doesn't want to be a Samurai or Ninja? It just hit these elements right on the money and the combat was sublime from driving your sword into ppls hearts to throwing smoke bombs and sneaking up on them and cutting their necks this game had it all and did it smoothly and beautifully.

Sekiro is another great game but I'm sure someone else will mention the merits of its combat.

Honorable mention: Deep Space, Uncharted, Nioh and many others.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
TLoU and Souls Bloodborne for me as well.

BG3 is another game I would play just for the combat, crazy depth and countless possibilities.
Ahhh I like the BG3 mention. Hvnt played but I've heard the combat is robust.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
None of those. How old are you OP? Games did exist before the ps5.

I'm a Turn based lover so combat for me is all about dem set pieces. Divinity 1 and 2 are top notch, along with Enchanted Arms, Xcom (remake and OG), Fallout 1 and 2 and Kingdom Under Fire.

Honourable mention to Mutant: Year Zero, wasteland 2 and Wasteland 3.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
For me, Nioh is probably the Goat in terms of smoothness and execution, saying that Bloodborne had this beautiful flow to it, like a dance or a flowing river, if that sounds understandable. lol

Also, a different Genre here, but I used to play competitive Quake 2 back in the day, playing for the top clan in the UK; we won dozens of events, titles etc and i won a number of solo lan events etc

Being able to strafe, bunny hop, having things like air control, and dozens of different types of trick jumps at your disposal in a level added so much depth to what normal players could achieve.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
MGS5 is another one I would mention.

ARMA 2 was really good too, in the DayZ days it really made the combat in that game stand out, some of the most memorable shootouts I've ever seen in games.

Original TF2 before they destroyed the game was great as well.

I'm a Turn based lover so combat for me is all about dem set pieces. Divinity 1 and 2 are top notch, along with Enchanted Arms, Xcom (remake and OG), Fallout 1 and 2 and Kingdom Under Fire.

So you are going to call the guy out and then just name turn based games?

Assuming that games are improving overtime, it pretty reasonable that the best gameplay for action games would come from recent titles.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024

Assuming that games are improving overtime, it pretty reasonable that the best gameplay for action games would come from recent titles.
You're correct, though it wasn't meant as a calling out and more of a friendly jab.

Action games, in my opinion, as it's all subjective, peak with Dragons dogma. A breadth of classes and the depth of gameplay meant the combat was entertaining and challenging...and then super entertaining when Boliding a manticore.

D

Deleted member 223

Bayoneta series for hack n slash.

Batman Arkham free-flow combat for brawlers (Spider-man, Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor concept spin offs).

Godfall sort of falls into the new GOW combat.

Add that on top of OP's list and some mentions in this thread.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Im 45 and been gaming for 39 of those years and have owned most systems. I Def can't get behind fallout but we all have opinions. Xcom strategy games I don't play. And Divinity I agree is top tier. I'm listing those ganes fresh in my memory and again they stand their own whether now or against games thirty years past. I could actually list about 20 games but decided not to to let others enjoy in the convo. Don't jump to judge although I know you are just messing around :)

I do not however prefer turn based and most turn based are off putting to me although I've completed a few.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
MGS5 is another one I would mention.

ARMA 2 was really good too, in the DayZ days it really made the combat in that game stand out, some of the most memorable shootouts I've ever seen in games.

Original TF2 before they destroyed the game was great as well.

Damn forgot MGS I enjoyed the hell out of the combat in 4.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I loved the ninja gameplay in MGS1 in the PS1 days, glorious, don't know how well it hold's up tho.
Yeah those older MGS games were all great too and very nostalgic

Also loved combat in Warhawk and to a lesser degree Star hawk but both were gd imo.

Castlevania games were also golden

1705669715335.png

Also one of my fav RPG series...

1705669777982.png

Battle system was great!!!

Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
FPS: Destiny 2
TPS: The Last of Us 2
Action: God of War: Ragnarok
Non-categorized: Death Stranding
2D Platform: Super Mario Bros Wonder
3D Platform: Super Mario Galaxy
Adventure: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Turn-based: Baldur’s Gate 3
Souls like: Bloodborne (or Sekiro)

I wonder if I can add more categories / genres.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I think best combat newer games have better combat than old games with very few exceptions.

Baldur’s Gate 3 have better turn-based combat than Divinity 1 or 2 for example.

The exceptions are probably Super Mario Galaxy being the king in 3D platform.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Souls for melee combat. I’m a big fan of the chunky and deliberate combat. I consider God of War and Ragnarok to be clones but still great itself. I also include Nioh and the team Ninja games here. These 3 devs are masterclass at the genre.

First person shooters. Destiny. Hands down. It only gets better as they add more crazy movement abilities. I can step away from the game and coming back always feels refreshing because it just flat out plays better than anything.

Third person shooters. Remnant 2. It’s bungie gunplay. Not a boring cover shooter. Masterclass.

• fire

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As the title refers to what games could you play over and over because the combat is so good? For me the most important aspect of a game is it's combat, if I don't enjoy it idc how good the story is or how good it looks, I will drop it like I did Witcher 3 and others. These are some of my favorite series/games with stand out combat...

GOW series:

View attachment 3737

From the original games to the reboot there are many diff weapons to choose from, great upgrade paths and the combat is just heavy hitting. Also very visceral which I love! Get those combos going and it's a treat to see.

TLOU Series:

View attachment 3738

Just super visceral, bloody and detailed. Many different weapons at your disposal and they pack a punch. Killing animations are varied, high quality and best I've seen. Graphically it makes combat movement stand out because it so ahead of the curve. Also upgrade paths for weapons via the bench. Different way to kill enemies whether via stealth or head on. No one does it better imo. Hell of a triumph for what some call "cinematic walking simulator" 🤣

BLOODBORNE/SOULS Series:

View attachment 3739
View attachment 3740

Although combat in these two are different I decided to stack them because I didn't want to hog up this OP thread. But no game gives me such a great collection of weapons and magic tht just feels right than these games. So many different varieties and purposes and killing enemies just feels bad ass.

Ghost of Tsushima:

View attachment 3741

Ah man who doesn't want to be a Samurai or Ninja? It just hit these elements right on the money and the combat was sublime from driving your sword into ppls hearts to throwing smoke bombs and sneaking up on them and cutting their necks this game had it all and did it smoothly and beautifully.

Sekiro is another great game but I'm sure someone else will mention the merits of its combat.

Honorable mention: Deep Space, Uncharted, Nioh and many others.
Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and Street Fighter.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think best combat newer games have better combat than old games with very few exceptions.

Baldur’s Gate 3 have better turn-based combat than Divinity 1 or 2 for example.

The exceptions are probably Super Mario Galaxy being the king in 3D platform.
Great choices.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and Street Fighter.
I was waiting for these :) I know those series have their die hard fans and for gd reason. I was going to name them but thought to let others do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka