Best combat in video games? I've started the list but I'd like to hear what games ppl really like due to it's stellar combat.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Kingdom Hearts series (Birth By Sleep the best)

Im surprised people actually liked the command deck games like kh bbbs. A lot of the boss battles were horrible, magic didn't work and you had to rely on shotlocks especially as Terra.

The Mysterious Figure boss fight as Terra is also near impossible.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Best Combat is Devil May Cry

Monster Hunter World also has a really good combat system that gets very deep
Tekken and Street Fighter
Bloodborne has top tier combat

• Shake

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Im surprised people actually liked the command deck games like kh bbbs. A lot of the boss battles were horrible, magic didn't work and you had to rely on shotlocks especially as Terra.

The Mysterious Figure boss fight as Terra is also near impossible.
I beat it on critical and never had any issues with the bosses..idk what you're talkin about 😂Vanitas was the hardest but not impossible. BBS is my favorite because of the ability melding, there were a lot of amazing abilities, a lot of unique/diverse ones too and you got to play as 3 different characters all with a lot of different abilities and playstyle.

• fire

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Sifu

As far as I'm concerned this is the pinnacle of third person Arkham Asylum style 1 vs. group combat

I would love this foundation expanded upon for an even crazier "stylish action" game in the vein of a DMC or Bayo.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sifu

As far as I'm concerned this is the pinnacle of third person Arkham Asylum style 1 vs. group combat

I would love this foundation expanded upon for an even crazier "stylish action" game in the vein of a DMC or Bayo.
My son loved it. I need to get around to it. Nice video.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sekiro
TLOU 2
God of War Ragnarok
Uncharted 4 / Lost Legacy
Nioh 2
Sifu
Wonderful 101
Vanquish
MGS: Rising

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I'll list some of the games where I've enjoyed the combat a lot and the reason as to why I liked engaging with it, it can either be because of mechanics themselves/the general feel of how you're pressing buttons and anything in between. The rhythm of the game if you will.

This isn't really my "best of" list per say, but games where I've really enjoyed and/or have been memorable for me. With an emphasis on games that haven't mentioned yet or not that often(with exceptions of course).

GunZ: The Duel
Old cheap Korean third person game.
K-style is incredible to perform, too bad it's so physically intensive I can't do it anymore, wrists would go down in flames.
Example of what it looks like. Basically for those who've never played, since people discovered you can animation cancel pretty much everything people went absolutely wild, the amount of movement tech in this game is ludicrous.

Starcraft 2
Sort of the same reason as GunZ, the high APM is really fun to me, you're constantly hitting them buttons.
But the gameplay is also great and responsive, it's a lot of fun to micro units and because you've controlled them well.
You can win engagements with way less units than somebody who just sends them all in a big blob and forgets about it.

Doom Eternal
You know how it is, especially on higher difficulties. You need to constantly use the melee action to restore your health, but you can't facetank everything.
So you're constantly repositioning then weaving in and out from the mid to short range in a sort of delicate dance.

Vanquish
Sliding, dash cancelling and jumping around. Enough said.

World of Warcraft
This is more PvP(arena) specific, but I really enjoy the Crowd Control heavy focus of the game as well as the cooldown management mini-game.
It is incredibly funny to crowd control somebody for an extremely long amount of time as you just kill their partners and there's nothing they can do.
Same with cooldowns, use them at the right spot to counter everything the opposing players keep doing and watch them slowly realize they're going to lose because they can never get any momentum.

TLoU Part II
Duh. Although most people play the game stealthy, especially on their first playthrough, the real fun comes from replaying the game and playing that melee/short range murder style.
The Naughty Dog motion matching animation system just compliments that playstyle so much. Really produce some beautiful combinations that are highly contextual.

Resident Evil 5
This is about mercenaries, especially co-op mercenaries. If you know, you know.

Baldur's Gate 3
It's D&D man. Anything you want to do, you can pretty much do it.
Imagination is the only limiting factor here, it's all systems based gameplay and there is a lot of connectivity to be found between them here.

Counter-Strike
It's not for everyone, but I really enjoy the small maps and low time to kill that the series is mostly known for as well as the utility usage at higher level play while vying for map control.

Left 4 Dead Series
Same as above really. This is just a blast to play with friends, and a really cool vibe to the art/atmosphere in these games.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I'll list some of the games where I've enjoyed the combat a lot and the reason as to why I liked engaging with it, it can either be because of mechanics themselves/the general feel of how you're pressing buttons and anything in between. The rhythm of the game if you will.

This isn't really my "best of" list per say, but games where I've really enjoyed and/or have been memorable for me. With an emphasis on games that haven't mentioned yet or not that often(with exceptions of course).

GunZ: The Duel
Old cheap Korean third person game.
K-style is incredible to perform, too bad it's so physically intensive I can't do it anymore, wrists would go down in flames.
Example of what it looks like. Basically for those who've never played, since people discovered you can animation cancel pretty much everything people went absolutely wild, the amount of movement tech in this game is ludicrous.

Starcraft 2
Sort of the same reason as GunZ, the high APM is really fun to me, you're constantly hitting them buttons.
But the gameplay is also great and responsive, it's a lot of fun to micro units and because you've controlled them well.
You can win engagements with way less units than somebody who just sends them all in a big blob and forgets about it.

Doom Eternal
You know how it is, especially on higher difficulties. You need to constantly use the melee action to restore your health, but you can't facetank everything.
So you're constantly repositioning then weaving in and out from the mid to short range in a sort of delicate dance.

Vanquish
Sliding, dash cancelling and jumping around. Enough said.

World of Warcraft
This is more PvP(arena) specific, but I really enjoy the Crowd Control heavy focus of the game as well as the cooldown management mini-game.
It is incredibly funny to crowd control somebody for an extremely long amount of time as you just kill their partners and there's nothing they can do.
Same with cooldowns, use them at the right spot to counter everything the opposing players keep doing and watch them slowly realize they're going to lose because they can never get any momentum.

TLoU Part II
Duh. Although most people play the game stealthy, especially on their first playthrough, the real fun comes from replaying the game and playing that melee/short range murder style.
The Naughty Dog motion matching animation system just compliments that playstyle so much. Really produce some beautiful combinations that are highly contextual.

Resident Evil 5
This is about mercenaries, especially co-op mercenaries. If you know, you know.

Baldur's Gate 3
It's D&D man. Anything you want to do, you can pretty much do it.
Imagination is the only limiting factor here, it's all systems based gameplay and there is a lot of connectivity to be found between them here.

Counter-Strike
It's not for everyone, but I really enjoy the small maps and low time to kill that the series is mostly known for as well as the utility usage at higher level play while vying for map control.

Left 4 Dead Series
Same as above really. This is just a blast to play with friends, and a really cool vibe to the art/atmosphere in these games.
Good call on RE5 mercenaries, I totally forgot about it. I'd go as far as to say Resident Evil 6 Mercenaries also up there when it comes to mechanics and abundance of animations / style

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Returnal
Devil May Cry 5
Nioh 2
Dragons Dogma (I'll go as far as saying this is the peak of open world RPG combat)
DOOM

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
FPS: Destiny 2
TPS: The Last of Us 2
Action: God of War: Ragnarok
Non-categorized: Death Stranding
2D Platform: Super Mario Bros Wonder
3D Platform: Super Mario Galaxy
Adventure: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Turn-based: Baldur’s Gate 3
Souls like: Bloodborne (or Sekiro)

I wonder if I can add more categories / genres.
Cool approach for this question. And great list :)

Though Metroidvania is a 2D, maybe its own category? I would put Hollow Knight up there for a Metroidvania as a best in category for combat.