Best combat in video games? I've started the list but I'd like to hear what games ppl really like due to it's stellar combat.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
For me...

God of War Ragnarok, Sekiro, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Devil May Cry, RE4, Titanfall 2, Ghost of Tsushima.

Probably some I'm forgetting. I'll add later if I think of more.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Oh, bro. I completely neglected a couple of games because I didn't think about it (and because it's so different than the tone/direction of this thread), but Slay the Spire and Gloomhaven have some of the best turn based combat ever. And Starsector.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Oh, bro. I completely neglected a couple of games because I didn't think about it (and because it's so different than the tone/direction of this thread), but Slay the Spire and Gloomhaven have some of the best turn based combat ever. And Starsector.
I see you 👀

Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
As I play more and more tlou 2 rogue mode the combat is just fucking intense and insane! This mode is great!

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
1920x1080_BatmanArkham

Not even a competition came out since Arkham Asylum

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sifu outdoes this combat imo

Another one I forgot to mention is Hotline Miami.
Damn dies hitline Miami have gd combat? It seems so basic from videos I've seen of I remember correctly.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
A lot of Japanese action games already being mentioned here, so I'm gonna focused with some that you've never heard about. For fighting game genre, there's Naruto Narutimate Accel 2, basically one of the best fighting games ever made, with lightning fast-paced combat(like MvC series) and very, very easy to learn but can be complex if you want it(using only O button to attack, with dial-up combo system like bayonetta series). Has 62 playable total(actually more if you count the transformations too). Great single player contents too(RPG mode, Challenge Battles, Survival, Conditions). Also, 2 special moves and 2-3 ultimate moves. And the last, you can customize the special moves too(like Sasuke can use Rasengan lol).

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
And in action genre, there's Capcom Japanese exclusive series called Sengoku Basara. The best ones will be Sengoku Basara 2 + Heroes and Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi.

Sengoku Basara 2 + Heroes: basically musou with Devil May Cry over-the-top skills. Has LOTS of content. Also pushing PS2 VFX graphics to the max with great particle effects.

Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi: PS3-PS4 game with still great but downgraded particle effects from PS2 era(because it's using MT Framework Engine, Capcom Engine for many PS3 games). But Capcom upgraded the combat system with infusing more Devil May Cry systems to this game. Yes this game is more DMC than previous games, a lot of combo options. Has lots of content although can't match PS2 era. Also lastly, very fast Tag System whewww.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Hmm Kingdom Hearts? I played one game on PS3 but couldn't get into it. Ima retry.
I can vouch on KH2, the combat system is sooooo goooood that it made me into Versus XIII believer(LOL), or any Tetsuya Nomura action games. Also, don't play PS3 ones(inferior to PS2 versions). Just play PS4 ones(HD collections). And I forgot to mention that KH2 is one of the most beautiful PS2 games ever made to this day(crazy particle effects).

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
GoW Ragnarok, Kingdom Hearts series (Birth By Sleep the best), Sekiro, Nioh, TLOU2, Dishonored, Returnal
KH2 FM is still the best 😂, but BBS still good though(shame the graphics got downgraded and it can't match KH2 FM graphics LOL, it should be released on PS2 too in the first place lol).

Reactions: JAHGamer

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Im surprised people actually liked the command deck games like kh bbbs. A lot of the boss battles were horrible, magic didn't work and you had to rely on shotlocks especially as Terra.

The Mysterious Figure boss fight as Terra is also near impossible.
Honestly I viewed KH2 and BBS as apple and orange. Command deck system is good too for different reasons(a lot of abilities). Also I like Style systems. But if you want DMC combo system you need to go with KH2FM 🤣.

Reactions: JAHGamer

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
For mech action games, there's Zone of the Enders 2, Gundam Breaker 3, and Gundam Extreme VS Maxi Boost On(goddamnit bring Gundam ExVs2 to PS5 as well lol), and Armored Core 6.