Best combat in video games? I've started the list but I'd like to hear what games ppl really like due to it's stellar combat.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I'm scrolling at all the posts and you guys didn't even mention the most popular pick ones like Nier Automata and MH Rise? Shame on y'all 🤣. Nier Automata, oh cmon it's from Bayonetta developer, the combat is slick. And MH new era series(World + Rise)? I don't need to explain these ones, million copies sold already tell you about it 🤣.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I can vouch on KH2, the combat system is sooooo goooood that it made me into Versus XIII believer(LOL), or any Tetsuya Nomura action games. Also, don't play PS3 ones(inferior to PS2 versions). Just play PS4 ones(HD collections). And I forgot to mention that KH2 is one of the most beautiful PS2 games ever made to this day(crazy particle effects).
KH2 FM is still the best 😂, but BBS still good though(shame the graphics got downgraded and it can't match KH2 FM graphics LOL, it should be released on PS2 too in the first place lol).
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 have to be the best aging games ever. They both still look AMAZING in 2024, makes no sense to me, the level design and art direction is still the best in the industry. And same here, my hype for FF13 Versus was through the roof, a lot of people were....and then we got FF15 😭😭 I think that's why I don't like FF15, because it was supposed to be something completely different, and I'll never forgive Square for that.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
And oh shit I forgot about these ones. For the Japanese RPG genre:

1. Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria:

Oh God this game surprised me back then WTF. At first I thought this is niche game. Then I started playing it and when in the beginning town, holy fck this game graphics pushed PS2 to the max so much that emulators these days can't even run this game properly LOL.. And when I reached first battle moment, wheww it's actually turn based + action combat system. You can move real time to reach enemies, then when you reached them, it turned into 4-buttons action combo system (one button for one character, 3-attacks per character and there are 8 attacks total you can switch, combo all you want, you can juggle and break enemy parts like it's mortal kombat lol). A lots of playable characters(40 playable totals). Lots of content.

2. Tales of Destiny Remake for PS2:

Fastest and Best Tales of combat system imo. It's like action RPG Smash Bros with Marvel vs Capcom aerial combo system. Great graphics too for PS2.

3. Rogue Galaxy PS2:

This game is HUGE lol. Good Action RPG with lots of content.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Also there's many Japanese action games and action-RPG games that I didn't mention here because personally I haven't played them lol.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I'm scrolling at all the posts and you guys didn't even mention the most popular pick ones like Nier Automata and MH Rise? Shame on y'all 🤣. Nier Automata, oh cmon it's from Bayonetta developer, the combat is slick. And MH new era series(World + Rise)? I don't need to explain these ones, million copies sold already tell you about it 🤣.

Nier Automata is extremely bare bones when it comes to combat, you need to play more character action games.

And I hated the wire bug in mh rise, it made everythint way too easy to dodge

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 have to be the best aging games ever. They both still look AMAZING in 2024, makes no sense to me, the level design and art direction is still the best in the industry. And same here, my hype for FF13 Versus was through the roof, a lot of people were....and then we got FF15 😭😭 I think that's why I don't like FF15, because it was supposed to be something completely different, and I'll never forgive Square for that.
I won't talk about that drama here, no need to corrupt this thread with that drama lol. So my final thought regarding that matter is I dislike the slow combats in the final version, the end 🤣.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Nier Automata is extremely bare bones when it comes to combat, you need to play more character action games.

Nier Automata combat is boring, even on the hardest difficulty it's extremely easy. And there is no feeling of progression because you start out op and barely get better or change at all by end game. Even switching out parts barely changes the gameplay....I think if it had a better progression system and different combat styles, it would be better, but like @Box said its bare bones. And not to sound nitpicky, but the graphics are awful for a 2017 game, I'm not a graphics whore at all but that I was surprised by how hideous that game could be. Did they only have a $200 budget for it? 😂

Reactions: Box

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

Regarding Nier Automata, I'm fine with limited options if the combat is Platinum responsive as fk. And since there's other weapon types and weapon customizations option too, I'm fine with Nier Automata (And I played many character action games before man DMC, Bayonetta, Sengoku Basara 🤣).

And regarding MH Rise, I viewed more mobility options as a win. To hell with slow and janky old MH era limited combat system, fuck you MHFU particularly 🤣🤣🤣.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Damn dies hitline Miami have gd combat? It seems so basic from videos I've seen of I remember correctly.

I haven't played it in a while actually but I just remember really liking the fast pace combat of the first game, throwing weapons and using doors and shit to kill enemies felt really good

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Nier Automata combat is boring, even on the hardest difficulty it's extremely easy. And there is no feeling of progression because you start out op and barely get better or change at all by end game. Even switching out parts barely changes the gameplay....I think if it had a better progression system and different combat styles, it would be better, but like @Box said its bare bones. And not to sound nitpicky, but the graphics are awful for a 2017 game, I'm not a graphics whore at all but that I was surprised by how hideous that game could be. Did they only have a $200 budget for it? 😂

Without 2b that game would have flopped hard like Nier Replicant. I really feel like people ignore A LOT of the games MANY flaws just because of 2b.

It gets worse when they make you replay the same game with the same story but now with a terrible hacking mini game with 9s.

Regarding Nier Automata, I'm fine with limited options if the combat is Platinum responsive as fk. And since there's other weapon types and weapon customizations option too, I'm fine with Nier Automata (And I played many character action games before man DMC, Bayonetta, Sengoku Basara 🤣).

And regarding MH Rise, I viewed more mobility options as a win. To hell with slow and janky old MH era limited combat system, fuck you MHFU particularly 🤣🤣🤣.

The difference weapons like heavy, spears and swords barely make a difference at all in the combat its still the same with overall.

As for MH Rise, I've played most MH games and Rise was such a huge step down from world. They took away all the prep that came before hunts and streamlined it so much that we were left with nothing of substance. The world's are glorified arenas, you even get told where the monster is at all times straight from the start.

I just did not have fun with MH Rise at all and I'm someone who started with the PSP MH Freedom games which says a lot

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I haven't played it in a while actually but I just remember really liking the fast pace combat of the first game, throwing weapons and using doors and shit to kill enemies felt really good
Fair enough and sounds good.

Reactions: Nym

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
As for MH Rise, I've played most MH games and Rise was such a huge step down from world. They took away all the prep that came before hunts and streamlined it so much that we were left with nothing of substance. The world's are glorified arenas, you even get told where the monster is at all times straight from the start.

I just did not have fun with MH Rise at all and I'm someone who started with the PSP MH Freedom games which says a lot
Actually, this is one of the reasons I love about MH Rise. When I hear they were going for the more mobility options with wirebug, keeping MH World weapon improvements while also buffing some of my favorite weapons(dual blades and LS), and also add even more QoL improvements in top of World, I was pretty much very hype for the game, and the final result didn't dissapoint at all. On top of that, they also put some of my favorite monsters on it (Valstrax, Magala family new-gen debut, etc). Yeah, I know it's more arcadey feeling MH, but different games, different needs man. It's just what it is. Thankfully MH Wilds will follow MH World structures in term of world immersions.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Actually, this is one of the reasons I love about MH Rise. When I hear they were going for the more mobility options with wirebug, keeping MH World weapon improvements while also buffing some of my favorite weapons(dual blades and LS), and also add even more QoL improvements in top of World, I was pretty much very hype for the game, and the final result didn't dissapoint at all. On top of that, they also put some of my favorite monsters on it (Valstrax, Magala family new-gen debut, etc). Yeah, I know it's more arcadey feeling MH, but different games, different needs man. It's just what it is. Thankfully MH Wilds will follow MH World structures in term of world immersions.
Got to try it. So many gd ganes I hvnt played due to backlog.