billbil_kun: Horizon Forbidden West will soon be available on PC

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Steam is a store, like PSN. PC and PS5 are platforms.

Well, depends. That $1.3B of PS physical games sold was 1st+3rd party.

16.46% of these games sold were 1st party, meaning 1st party games sold in physical for PS generated around $214M in revenue last FY if the average price of 1st and 3rd party games sold in PS is pretty similar.

Meaning that for 1st party games, Sony made more revenue selling PC games than selling physical (1st party) PS games.
Steam is a platform. It contains a store. Fuck the semantics.

Your 16.46% is another d'oh moment. 16.46% of software unit sales were first party but Sony earns a lot more revenue from first party titles (an order of magnitude more) physical software than they do from third party. Third parties pay a fee to Sony but there's also the retail markup. Sony gets all of the publisher share, no licensing fee, and only deducts the retail cut on first party titles.

You can't take the unit sales share and apply it to the physical software revenue.

This is getting embarrassing (for you) so my recommendation is you dip out now.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Steam is definitely its own platform now considering the steamdeck, valve index, etc. And its compatibility with mac and linux.

Reactions: Banana

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Steam is definitely its own platform now considering the steamdeck, valve index, etc. And its compatibility with mac and linux.
Not quite with mac.

Apple is paying devs to bring games over to mac as exclusives for the app store.

After all the BS apple has pulled over APIs over the years, most won't work with them unless moneyhatted.

Thanks to the EU, Apple can't turn macs into completely walled gardens now though. I assume that is where they were headed with macs; can't install anything outside of the app store, like iphones currently are.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not quite with mac.

Apple is paying devs to bring games over to mac as exclusives for the app store.

After all the BS apple has pulled over APIs over the years, most won't work with them unless moneyhatted.

Thanks to the EU, Apple can't turn macs into completely walled gardens now though. I assume that is where they were headed with macs; can't install anything outside of the app store, like iphones currently are.
Last I heard they were working on a native app? I know it's emulated right now but I thought they were working on that.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
True that. I have one PC for steam games, another one for GoG and finally one for Ubisoft games. Never tried played an ubisoft game on the steam PC, not sure what would happen, better to play it safe.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Banana

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
True that. I have one PC for steam games, another one for GoG and finally one for Ubisoft games. Never tried played an ubisoft game on the steam PC, not sure what would happen, butter to play it safe.
Funny joke, but Steam is the only valid place to distribute PC games. Are we really out here still installing Ubisoft Connect?

D

Deleted member 223

giphy.gif

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I have hopes porting these games to
PC will pave the road for the PS6 to have quirky features that will one-up PCs like the custom I/O did.