Black Myth: Wukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam (EDIT: Currently 2nd most played)

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Umm, this isn’t as much about anti-woke or buying the game to show any kind of message.

It shows us a paradigm shift is happening in gaming back to eastern devs of different origin.

Gaming has been ready for a transformation. We’re here… we are so here.

All the doomers about to get their ass handed to them too. Like usual; from GTA to Fortnite; Sony makes the best bets.

Next 20 years of console wars is in the bag. No matter what it’ll look like.
Entertainment industry keeps on twisting itself into pretzels denying reality of the audience being significantly male and a male dominated pastime. No other place in time or history has a manufacturer of anything, so deliberately gone against not satisfy the core demographic.

Now that demographic is fatigued. No one cared till it started to become continuously non diverse in its diversity. When you make a thing for “everyone”, you make it for no one.

It’s no surprise a twinkle in the opposite direction surfaces and everyone gets juiced out of their monotony.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
No Xbox release … 😂🤣😂🤣😂

This is a repeat of Baldur’s Gate…. But bigger.

Another goty candidate PlayStation console exclusive.

Bruh, this gen has been a slaughter for Xbox. Good!
It's insane they weren't pre-emptive and learned nothing from BG3.

GVbaEXEW4AAVYB5

Can't imagine if you like action games and missing out on Stellar Blade, Ronin & now Wukong.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Saw a guy playing the intro fight in PS5 and it's really badass and spectacular. Well deserved.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I just looked up footage of this game since I've somehow managed to see nothing of it and holy shit this looks really sick and creative. The combat looks fast and challenging, the enemy designs are fascinating and unique, the plot is easy enough to get behind, the music is really good, the graphics are fantastic...I must admit I'm impressed

Yeah the game is heavy and from the early reviews, it does seem like a non-trivial amount of people are experiencing frequent crashes but... If the game gets good post-launch support, it could be one of those games that gets played down the line at max everything without framgen and good framerate once people are using Zen 8 and 7090s or some shit.

Will it run Crysis *ahem* I mean Wukong?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Hopefully this lits fire on western studios asses. So many opportunities wasted since the 8th generation, when the woke mob took over. Look at what they did to the batman franchise for instance.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Where is the OT? I put 4 hours in last night, this game is sick as hell lol

That stance switch heavy is soooooooooo nice

• fire
Reactions: Entropi

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It's insane they weren't pre-emptive and learned nothing from BG3.

GVbaEXEW4AAVYB5

Can't imagine if you like action games and missing out on Stellar Blade, Ronin & now Wukong.
The amount of exclusives ps5 has had this year alone is bad enough for xbox die hards but its also in the backdrop that xbox is now porting games to ps5 as well. Couldnt happen to a more deserving fanbase.

Reactions: AllBizness

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Where is the OT? I put 4 hours in last night, this game is sick as hell lol

That stance switch heavy is soooooooooo nice

I didn't have high expectations for this game but I pre-order it anyway. Now I’m stuck with work stuff and probably wont play it until then weekend. Are you on PS5? How’s performance?

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I didn't have high expectations for this game but I pre-order it anyway. Now I’m stuck with work stuff and probably wont play it until then weekend. Are you on PS5? How’s performance?
Yes playing on PS5 playing on Performance mode. I'd say its just FINE, the cinematics definitely had stutters but it was working pretty well. You can tell this game is punching above it's weight graphically, so I find it very forgivable. In game was pretty smooth for like 90% of my time with it.

Great combat system, ace character design and visuals. I'm stuck at work too and I'm wondering if I go home and play this or Concord lol

24 Jun 2022
I wonder how many are playing on PS5.

This is one of the reasons how first party games on PC hurts your own console. All the marketing is being focused on steam stats.

Facts and the people trying to pin this as a Sony W because of China Hero Project investment are missing the forest from the trees (when it comes to the future prognosis, outlook, and priority of PlayStation consoles in the bigger picture).

I think those people are looking at it from a "platform war" POV but that'd be mistaken as if anything, this is Steam's victory. If they're looking at it from a "branding war" between Sony & Microsoft okay fine, I guess? But we've seen what Microsoft's push for their total gaming brand has done to the expense of Xbox as a console (specifically it's identity).

That said, I'm very impressed with Wukong's performance. The 1% meme has finally materialized (well, just about but keep in mind concurrent player numbers are always lower than copies actually sold for B2P games so it is still possible Wukong's already done some 5-10 million in sales, or will within a month). I think with this, the Chinese games industry finally has the last piece they've been needing to be a real force in the gaming space.

Therefore, I predict that at some point in the next 5 years, following what happened with Hollywood, we'll see the following:

-Tons of AAA Western developers pandering their games to the Chinese market & capitulating the demands of the CCP WRT censorship enforced globally​
-Chinese game dev scene and market becoming more or less self-sufficient, no longer "needing" Western AAA releases to feed their market​
-Increased policy guidelines for Western AAA devs/pubs to release in China, meaning further global censorships​
-A few Western AAA devs/pubs getting tired of the increased guidelines/censorship and foregoing the Chinese market. This is when we get our gaming equivalents of Joker and Top Gun Maverick​
-...add 2-3 more years on top and more Western AAA devs/pubs will finally clean up their act, start making genuinely good AAA games again, and restore credibility​

So, with any luck, by the end of the decade the Western games industry should be back to what it was before all the weird stuff started distracting it and dragging things down. Though it might be a bit longer for the games (AAA specifically) to reflect the change as game development takes longer than making films.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I wonder how many are playing on PS5.

This is one of the reasons how first party games on PC hurts your own console. All the marketing is being focused on steam stats.

Yeah people already use it as a where to determine is a game is dead or not, even if its on console etc.
Never should of got in bed with them lol

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Facts and the people trying to pin this as a Sony W because of China Hero Project investment are missing the forest from the trees (when it comes to the future prognosis, outlook, and priority of PlayStation consoles in the bigger picture).
Sony going into China is a W cause of the potential dev talent and non-established console market (console were banned for 15 years (during PS4 there was barely an effort there). PS5 already got the Gatcha/HoYo Verse titles but this is the first polished and well received SP title if they didn't put the effort there; PS5 users would miss out on this and you would be writing how Steam got a SP exclusive and PS faltered.

this is Steam's victory.
Dev team victory. Let's be real if there were 2-3 million sales if it was a PS5 exclusive there would be doom topics regarding the ratio to the userbase.

Reactions: Luffy123

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Bigger than Palworld for a full price game is crazy. We knew it was gonna be big but nobody expected that 😳

The WOM and the hype from these numbers might make it explode in the next few days. Maybe the industry will learn something from this?