Black Myth: Wukong | Review Thread

What scores do you think Black Myth: Wukong will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 70-74%

• 75-79%

• 80-84%

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • 90-94%

• 99-100%

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It added more 3 sub 70 scores to Meta... the score is still cached.

Windows Central (lol)
RGP Site
The Sixth Axis

Score without cache seems to be 83 but Metacritic cache is the most weird thing I ever saw.

Edit - The non-cached score is 82 right now.

Edit - More two sub 70 scores added.

Reactions: Puff

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Right now...

image-2024-08-16-111951471.png

PS. OpenCritic is so slow 🤷‍♂️

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My summary on what I read until now...

+ The atmosphere is good.
+ Graphics are amazing.
+ Combat is good.

? Some said bosses are forgiving and easy... others said it is hard and good.
? Some reviews says boss rush is the best to enjoy the game.

- Technical issues (blame PC here)
- Bad story.
- Lacking exploration.
- Invisible walls across the board.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
IMO choosing PC as reviewer copy is just set up to disappointment.
I wonder who decided to not put PS5 version to be reviewed... it should had avoid a lot of technical issues complain.

Even big AAA publisher doesn't send PC review codes... only PS5.

Consoles are the state the game is suppose to release and PC needs several patches after launch to reach that point.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The main Spanish gaming media reviews:

3D Juegos (PC): "Recommended" as score and these are the "5 things you have to know" they highlight:
  • 58 bosses including elite ones
  • One of the most visually striking Unreal Engine 5 games
  • Has souls-like elements, but it isn't really a souls-like
  • Story based in the Journey to the West novel
  • You can download a benchmark on Steam
  • 30-35 hours length
Vandal.net (PC): 8.3 score
  • "Visual prodigy, Chinese mithology and really fun Boss Rush"
  • "stands out for its fantastic tech side, but it is also a very solid and fun ARPG that will take us on a fantastic journey defeating boss after boss in a highly satisfying race
  • Many good options to evolve our character. Combat is fast-paced and dodging is very satisfying
  • Several localization to Spanish issues that will hopefully be fixed in time for launch
  • On a narrative level, sometimes there are things that are not told very well
Hobby Consolas (PC): 7.8 (good) score
  • Falls a bit short of the legend of the Monkey King due to a few bugs and design decisions, but it manages to offer an action-adventure especially designed for souls and action fans
  • The best: spectacular visuals, combat flow fluidity and special powers
  • The worst: poorly optimized, missed potential on the story side, simplistic level design
Area Jugones (PC): 9.3 * They are an unreliable and controversial minor site, made out Suicide Squad review, fake rumors and really stupid crazy clickbait headlines
  • Great visuals, gameplay and cutscenes
  • Great enemy and (even if some feel unbalanced) bosses variety
  • Great story
  • Localization to Spanish issues
  • Slow loading transitions
  • Over 40h length
Still no review from Eurogamer Spain and AnaitGames, they must be on vacation. Both often have a somewhat anti Sony and woke bias.

So expect Eurogamer score it as "recommended" (or not giving them the "recommended" label, which doesn't imply it's a bad game for them), but not "essential".

Anait usually gives PS exclusives one or two points (out of ten) less than the MC average, and the opposite in Nintendo exclusives. So expect Anait (whose as I remember their reviews aren't submitted to MC/OC) to give it somewhat between 6.5 and 7.5.

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Gaming media can't be taken seriously.

I have seen mentions of "technical shortcomings" impacting the game score. And that is perfectly fine. But... You damn well know that depending on the studio behind the game, negative aspects are waived in a game review.

From Software puts out MEDIOCRE games from a technical standpoint and it's never called out. Same for Rockstar and their 2004 style mission design.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Gaming media can't be taken seriously.

I have seen mentions of "technical shortcomings" impacting the game score. And that perfectly fine. But... You damn well know that depending on the studio behind the game, negative aspects are waived in a game review.

From Software puts out MEDIOCRE games from a technical standpoint and it's never called out. Same for Rockstar and their 2004 style mission design.
FROM (while i do love them) is the critical darling of the industry right now, and gets a pass on many things. I'm just tired to them always being compared to.