Bloomberg: Why PlayStation Fans Are Cheering CEO’s Departure

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jason is one of most reliable journalists.
No, specially when he throws shit at Sony.

He has been even publicly called out by devs (like Druckmann or Cory) and oficially debunked (like when the Days Gone directros debunked Bend's supposed bad relationship with ND or Sony and said that who blocked Days Gone 2 was Bend's boss and not Sony, or when soon after Jason said Sony was focusing on making less games and focusing on sequels of their popular blockbusters Hermen said PS Studios had more than two dozen games under development -more than ever- being half of them new IPs, being games of all sizes, some SP and some MP and combining typical blockbusters with more risky and creative games in the way of Dreams, Death Stranding or Astro, games he said was proud of).

There's some flaws in that article. You don't have to be on home wifi to use Playstation portal. Even Schreier is sharing misinformation.

There's rumors that Insomniac are doing some kind of multiplayer game in addition to Wolverine, but there's nothing about whether it's GAAS. Also, who are these insiders he's talking about?
They aren't flaws, they are lies said on purpose knowing they are lies. In some article could happen, but oh surprise quite frequently Bloomberg articles throwing shit to Sony later are proved to be fake news.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I assume he didn't mention PC ports as a negative.... they all want to gloss over the fact that it's something that could be hurting PlayStation.
It's definitely damaging to the playstation why buy one if you know you'll be able to play it on pc (if you've already got a gaming pc) the people that can afford expensive gaming PCs are the kinda whales they want to be on their hardware aswell 🤣

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
No, specially when he throws shit at Sony.

He has been even publicly called out by devs (like Druckmann or Cory) and oficially debunked (like when the Days Gone directros debunked Bend's supposed bad relationship with ND or Sony and said that who blocked Days Gone 2 was Bend's boss and not Sony, or when soon after Jason said Sony was focusing on making less games and focusing on sequels of their popular blockbusters Hermen said PS Studios had more than two dozen games under development -more than ever- being half of them new IPs, being games of all sizes, some SP and some MP and combining typical blockbusters with more risky and creative games in the way of Dreams, Death Stranding or Astro, games he said was proud of).

They aren't flaws, they are lies said on purpose knowing they are lies. In some article could happen, but oh surprise quite frequently Bloomberg articles throwing shit to Sony later are proved to be fake news.
Ok, but the two dozens games turned out to be GaaS.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Go look at the list of games published by Playstation between 2018 and now. That was Jim Ryan. They haven't even released one of these games you're complaining about.
I don't think any game released so far was greenlit by him ( though he definitely did a good job ensuring they release in the best possible way) . Maybe games coming 2024 will best represent his era.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Schreier seems to be implying that studios shouldn't even try branching out to GAAS (and that's what this is - branching out. Teams at the studios continue to develop SP titles), which is dullard territory.

Whether or not you agree with the direction, buying Bungie for their GAAS expertise, given Destiny's popularity, is surely one of the smarter moves you can make to minimise risk.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
He didn’t mention PC ports.

I wasn’t one of those celebrating him leaving. I know what he’s done for PlayStation in Europe building that region from the ground up.

I was more shocked than anything.

Reactions: Bryank75

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Schreier seems to be implying that studios shouldn't even try branching out to GAAS (and that's what this is - branching out. Teams at the studios continue to develop SP titles), which is dullard territory.

Whether or not you agree with the direction, buying Bungie for their GAAS expertise, given Destiny's popularity, is surely one of the smarter moves you can make to minimise risk.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

• haha

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It's hilarious how everyone pins that on him and longs for Layden or Shu to take his job when they're the ones who actually pitched it to Jim in the first place, per Layden's own words. 😂
Layden said it but Jim enacted it, he could've changed course, and the Nixxes acquisition was during his tenure. And I'm not one of the ones that want him back

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ok, but the two dozens games turned out to be GaaS.
No. Out of more than two dozen games under development, only a dozen were GaaS.

And out of that dozen they already released MLB, Gran Turismo 7, Firewall Ultra (and soon) Helldivers II.

I don't think any game released so far was greenlit by him ( though he definitely did a good job ensuring they release in the best possible way) . Maybe games coming 2024 will best represent his era.
True, I'd have to check out the entire list but I think Wolverine will be the first one, since their team started to work on it after releasing Morales in 2020.

It's possible that the first one could be Spider-Man 2, he became CEO in Feb 2019 and Spider-Man 1 was released in September 2018, so after some vacations and preproduction maybe its production was greenlighted under his command.

But they'll continue releasing games in 2024 greenlighted before his era, as an example Helldivers 2 has been in development since 2016 and Concord started in 2018 when Firewalk was founded. Same goes with Marathon, Gran Turismo 7 or Destruction All Star, all greenlighted before him. He and Hermen weren't the ones who decided to go GaaS, or even stuff like TLOUP1.

These projects were already under development when they were promoted in 2019. They simply continued the work, hired a ton of people and acquired some support, portiong and GaaS studios to help them and made sure they were successful.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Forbes so whatever but

Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier is reporting that insiders are concerned about the company’s vision going forward, where things are spread out between “seemingly misplaced bets on service games” along with PSVR 2 and PlayStation Portal, both relative niche pieces of hardware.

Sony currently has most of its big-budget studios working on multiplayer live service games in one form or another, including Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Guerrilla of The Last of Us, Spider-Man and Horizon fame, respectively. We already know about Naughty Dog’s Last of Us Factions game, one that an additional report said that new hire Bungie believed wasn’t up to par when they surveyed the game’s progress recently. While Bungie has its own upcoming service games like Marathon, that, and current live service behemoth Destiny 2, neither are PlayStation exclusives.

The goal, of course, is to get live service games to print money indefinitely with recurring spending on seasons and microtransactions, as opposed to one-and-done single player games that at best, have a DLC or two. Of course, Sony’s very obvious strength lies in these acclaimed single player games, and these insider reports are questioning this enormous live service pivot, even if single player games will still be produced.

There’s nothing to say that just because a company makes great single player games, that they’ll be able to turn that talent into compelling live service offerings, even with a guru like Bungie on board. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be true. We have seen this play out multiple times in the industry. BioWare moved away from Mass Effect to make Anthem, that failed, so now they’re back to Mass Effect. Crystal Dynamics moved away from Tomb Raider to make Marvel’s Avengers, that failed, so now they’re back to Tomb Raiders. Gearbox moved away from Borderlands to make Battleborn, that failed, so now they’re back to Borderlands. Are you sensing a pattern here?

Even if these upcoming offerings stay within the world of these games, ie. The Last of Us, there are zero guarantees of quality or positive reception, despite whatever talented studio is on board. The most popular multiplayer games have either been doing multiplayer forever (Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, DOTA, League of Legends) or sprang out of relative nowhere (Fortnite, PUBG, Tarkov). Even Bungie cultivated Destiny from Halo DNA, a series that always had compelling single player and multiplayer portions.

Taking these largely single player studios and forcing them to do something they have really never done in any significant capacity does not seem like a recipe for success, diverting resources from likely successful single player projects to chase a live service dream that does seem like a bubble that’s about to burst. Or that burst has already happened, based on the failed titles I’ve mentioned.

I do not predict great things for PlayStation’s live service plans, and it appears I’m not alone.

• haha