Bungie considering a $40 price for Marathon (The Game Post)

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This is absolute nonsense Concord was written before before the price was even announced
Concord never had a problem with price. People nitpicked everything about it to write off another GaaS they didn't ask for.

The GaaS market is saturated and Deadlock will bring the final flood and make it almost impossible for anything to get into gaas market.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Concord never had a problem with price. People nitpicked everything about it to write off another GaaS they didn't ask for.

The GaaS market is saturated and Deadlock will bring the final flood and make it almost impossible for anything to get into gaas market.
GaaS market isn't saturated there will always be room for new multiplayer experience like has been the case since the late 2000's. Most won't have staying power but this fallacy the GaaS / Multiplayer market has reached capacity is absurd lol.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
GaaS market isn't saturated there will always be room for new multiplayer experience like has been the case since the late 2000's. Most won't have staying power but this fallacy the GaaS / Multiplayer market has reached capacity is absurd lol.
Problem is time. How do you get players to play 5 different GaaS? I have a few people on my friends list that only play BF. They don't really have time to play anything else. These games now have seasons and they all require quite a time investment to unlock stuff people want. An adult won't keep up with them all so they'll stick to one or two.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Multiplayer is 2000s used to end after few years when people move to next sequel.
You can make a single player steroid bro shooter and attract 1 million Gears fans, you can attract Final Fantasy fans with a game like it because they already completed and platinumed their favorite game. But could you make a colorfull 3rd person GaaS and move Fortnite fans to it? Sony already made Concord which as per its fans is a much better Overwatch, but they couldn't even attract 1/100000th of Overwatch player base.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Problem is time. How do you get players to play 5 different GaaS? I have a few people on my friends list that only play BF. They don't really have time to play anything else. These games now have seasons and they all require quite a time investment to unlock stuff people want. An adult won't keep up with them all so they'll stick to one or two.
Agreed! And that's the issue here multiplayer games are demanding too much time and investment and FOMO, along with players falling behind if they step away for awhile.

And yeah I'm gonna mention that game again, but that was something I truly appreciated about Concord, it eliminated this exact problem by giving the player back control of how they wanna play this game and you aren't left behind at any point in time nor does it demand your time constantly.

Hopefully this approach makes a comeback somehow

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Well when you’re making the same game as someone else that’s a rough battle. Marathon has a playing field largely to itself on console. The goal is to take extraction PvP and take it mass market and hasn’t really been tapped outside of DMZ last year.

F2P is a fallacy. Most games that launch f2p are dead a month later after the news cycle creates false sense of success for these games. (See: first descendant, multiversus, etc…)

F2P not requiring ps plus like every other game is still completely utter bullshit tho. Way to screw every dev in favor of Activision and epic

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Multiplayer is 2000s used to end after few years when people move to next sequel.
You can make a single player steroid bro shooter and attract 1 million Gears fans, you can attract Final Fantasy fans with a game like it because they already completed and platinumed their favorite game. But could you make a colorfull 3rd person GaaS and move Fortnite fans to it? Sony already made Concord which as per its fans is a much better Overwatch, but they couldn't even attract 1/100000th of Overwatch player base.
Yup! And I miss that era very much... I hope to see more lobby based multiplayer games like Concord return. I think the market is ready for one but it's gonna be a tough sell at first

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Hybrid model is the best way to get people into your GaaS, but you need to invest huge money on incredible sinle player experience that attract people to your game. GTA 5 and soon 6 are very good examples. However, that takes away the point of making GaaS which is making a cheap shitty repetitive shooter that cost peanuts to make and brings in trillions of dollars.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yup! And I miss that era very much... I hope to see more lobby based multiplayer games like Concord return. I think the market is ready for one but it's gonna be a tough sell at first
Concord should've been made with a full single player campaign like PS3 era. After that they can keep supporting the multiplayer for several years with microtransactions till sequel comes out.

• they're_right_you_know
  • fire
Reactions: Kokoloko and voke

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Concord should've been made with a full single player campaign like PS3 era. After that they can keep supporting the multiplayer for several years with microtransactions till sequel comes out.
I fully agree with this and that's why I found the decision to debut the game with a 4 minute long cinematic trailer so baffling. It's an instant bait and switch. It sealed the fate immediately as even I was trashing it at first till I saw the gameplay reveal which reeled me in back.

The whole premise of the game screams well, this should have a SP campaign, the Galactic Map is full of lore, the weekly cut scenes but then there's none... Just a weird blunder.

OP
OP
voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Absolutely! I think this was the missing piece, it needed a mode outside of PVP. Especially after that reveal trailer, a PvE mode would have been more welcoming.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Agreed! And that's the issue here multiplayer games are demanding too much time and investment and FOMO, along with players falling behind if they step away for awhile.

And yeah I'm gonna mention that game again, but that was something I truly appreciated about Concord, it eliminated this exact problem by giving the player back control of how they wanna play this game and you aren't left behind at any point in time nor does it demand your time constantly.
It's funny how often I hear this but literally every popular GAAS game I've ever played it doesn't apply to. Can you give a few examples of games that scare the player out of "falling behind"?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If its anything like Tarkov or Twisted path to reknown with Bungie gameplay, then count me in Day 1

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I've played both and I don't see that at all.

Destiny is a PvE game you play with 2 other friends and Apex has SBMM which makes it easy to drop in and out of after time off.
So what you're saying is Destiny is easy for a new player to get into? Even tho even seasoned players have a hard time sometimes getting back into it if they stop for awhile lol.

And I know more than one person who said Apex was not kind to them as new players

Your experience is not universal however

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I've played both and I don't see that at all.

Destiny is a PvE game you play with 2 other friends and Apex has SBMM which makes it easy to drop in and out of after time off.
I joined Destiny 2 late after 1-2k hours into destiny 1. I kinda got put off being so far behind and i didnt wanna make my D1 team do old raids all the time etc for things I wanted.
But Apex I dont know.

I kinda have that now with HD2, my D1 team is so ahead and done everything while I was abroad.

I might get into D2 again, but not sure if its worth it or wait till D3? Id like to transfer my character either way if they will still do tha

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

So you think EA FC, CoD, GTA6, the next Mihoyo game etc are going to tank? Good luck

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If only Hermen and Sony thought like you.
Campaign mode should be a must for something like Concord