Bungie Devs Say Atmosphere Is ‘Soul-Crushing’ Amid Layoffs, Cuts, and Fear of Total Sony Takeover

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Others laid off included a noticeable number of members of Bungie’s DE&I clubs, including co-heads of Pride@Bungie, Women@Bungie, and Accessibility@Bungie . When combined with other recent resource cuts, these dismissals have led to fears these clubs might be shut down. While researching this article, IGN noted that the public news articles announcing Women@Bungie and Accessibility@Bungie on its official blog were no longer accessible on the Bungie website, though it’s unclear exactly when or why this happened.

So the excess fat got trimmed? Based on mean wage I googled on tech field in United States, it was 12 ten-thousand USD. So they save at least 12 million USD per year for useless shit. Not bad actually.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don’t think that is true.
Minecraft next-gen patch was still to be launched on PS5.

About the others project PlayStation only got these that where already in contract to be timed exclusive to PlayStation.

All others releases after acquisition avoided PlayStation… HiFi Rush, Redfall and Starfield.
As I remember that Minecraft patch was a free patch. I meant all the Minecraft paid console games and dlcs, which all of them have been released on PlayStation day one even many years after the acquisition.

In addition to the timed exclusive PS games, Zenimax kept releasing on PS games and DLC like Quake remaster or the Fallout 76 or ESO dlcs. Regarding HiFi Rush, Redfall and Starfield they released as console exclusive, yes. I think that as the Zenimax said their their plan under MS will be full multiplatform or timed exclusivities and won't focus on full console exclusivities. So I expect that somewhere in the future they'll announce HiFi Rush, Redfall and Starfield for PS, probably a year or two before initial release. And until then they'll keep saying they will be full console exclusives.

that was when Sony had competent leadership, Jim/Hermen have absolutely zero clue what they're doing. Thankfully one is gone soon, hopefully Hermen follows
Jim and Hermen broke almost all records for any console maker in gaming history. They now passed Tencent and became the top grossing gaming company in the world, and are in a growing trend in most if not all their areas.

Sony's first party games are selling and earning more awards than ever before, so there's no reason for Hermen to leave. Jim retired because of old, but very likely the next CEO will mainly continue the same strategy Jimbo had, in the same way Jimbo mainly continued the same strategy Sony had before.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Destiny 2 currently ranked 10 on XBL four spots ahead of Starfield. Currently ranked 9 on PSN ahead of Spider-man 2.

Revenue loss is a slightly ifferent issue.

If you think destiny is in trouble tell me how you think Diablo 4 and Overwatch are doing 😂

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Others laid off included a noticeable number of members of Bungie’s DE&I clubs, including co-heads of Pride@Bungie, Women@Bungie, and Accessibility@Bungie . When combined with other recent resource cuts, these dismissals have led to fears these clubs might be shut down. While researching this article, IGN noted that the public news articles announcing Women@Bungie and Accessibility@Bungie on its official blog were no longer accessible on the Bungie website, though it’s unclear exactly when or why this happened.

So the excess fat got trimmed? Based on mean wage I googled on tech field in United States, it was 12 ten-thousand USD. So they save at least 12 million USD per year for useless shit. Not bad actually.

Most useless shit got axed. Best move they’ve done in all of this. Bungie’s pandering was always surface level bullshit for public image. When it came down business that was the first things and employee to go. Reset ate that kind of shit up and oh no these poor employees etc… good bye and good riddance. Non-development jobs and knitting classes…gimme a fucking break. Yea man that shit needed to go a long time ago.

Using the revenue of one game to fund the development of 2 additional games In full production while that game itself is notoriously expensive to keep operational and continue to make content for.

This is a yikes from me dawg. They clearly need to straighten out operations. Hopefully by the time final shape and marathon drop they’ll have restructured accordingly.

There’s a lot of excess in the game itself. Too much loot. Many things can and should slow down and resources focused elsewhere in the game. This is sort of old news tho… reiterating the same conflict over and over till some narrative takes over from MS shills.

Halo, Mortal Kombat 1, Street Fighter, Diablo, Overwatch 2, etc… all new entries into the live service space and all of those beaten by a lukewarm Destiny expansion that’s 9 months old. You’d be hard pressed to find many more premium priced games that do better, Siege and best selling game in history GTAV.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Layoff should be made independent of clubs.
People believed because you are in a side club inside a company you can’t be fired?

Man… now I know why Bungie needs an internal restructure.

You can in clubs since it doesn’t interfere in your daily work load.
Plus a Club should never be take in consideration for your lay off… what you do for the company is.

An employee can be keep in a company just because there is no enough people for a club lol

That is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Because they needed money to make games.

They wanted to make more games. I don’t think games like Gummy Bears would’ve even gone into production without Sony bankrolling in some form.

Marathon yes. They need a different model than Destiny. It’s also a concept that broke off from it to begin with. It’ll surely be less costly to operate.

Anyone expecting Marathon to launch f2p is in for surprise. $70 pay up

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, they dont want to give up control of the company they founded, understandable but why the fuck did ya sell the company.
What a dumb situation.
Yeah that hybrid ownership shit is not it but hey they all thought at the moment it worked for them.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Destiny 2 currently ranked 10 on XBL four spots ahead of Starfield. Currently ranked 9 on PSN ahead of Spider-man 2.

Revenue loss is a slightly ifferent issue.

If you think destiny is in trouble tell me how you think Diablo 4 and Overwatch are doing 😂
Xbox charts don't mean shit, and you know it.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Yeah that hybrid ownership shit is not it but hey they all thought at the moment it worked for them.
Well Sony obvisously kept their end of the bargain, thats for sure, its Bungie thats dropping the ball. Maybe their leadership do need to be gutted.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Bungie basically duped Sony because the Zenimax purchase scared them. They could've bought a profitable mobile studio for the billions they wasted on this trainwreck. I can't even understate how bad the whole initiative has been, not only did the GAAS games they were supposed to be helping with come crashing and burning the studio is also imploding.
And casting judgement on other live service games. At least Tlou Online if not Deviation's cancelled/defunded game?

I'm almost tempted to say Ubisoft would have been a smarter play, harnessing the prior/current GAAS experiences of R6 Seige and The Division and the lessons learned from each. Refine what works about Ubisoft and/or Sony's open world approaches to single player and multiplayer, and propagate IPs returning, even if say oen each instead of... was it 25 Assassins Creed games I read about?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This sounds like office politics and insecurity. There is nothing to see here.

When things don't go too well (apparently they didn't before) well the company has to do something to get back to good financial health. Otherwise everyone gets the boot.
It is amazing how some people can't grasp that sometimes you have to let 10% of your staff go in order to prevent letting 100% go by going out of business.

Also, if the bulk of the losses are in the DEI cult, GOOD. Get those fucks out of every company.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
“and reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly”

lol, Wut?

Excuse me but this ridiculous tech industry of coddling employees has been the most pointless extravagance in history. All these companies could do better with a quarter of the workforce by keeping the cream and throwing out the chaff that brings everyone down.

Time for a reset back to reality.
And people complain that game development cost $200 gazillion.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And casting judgement on other live service games. At least Tlou Online if not Deviation's cancelled/defunded game?
According to Sony their GaaS continue in development, but some of them got delayed to improve their quality. So TLOU Online and the Deviation game aren't cancelled or defunded, these FUD "rumors" were fake stuff.

They got delayed, something very common in game development, and not only GaaS. And doesn't mean they have big issues, because game like ToT, GoWR, HFW or GT7 also got delayed.

I'm almost tempted to say Ubisoft would have been a smarter play, harnessing the prior/current GAAS experiences of R6 Seige and The Division and the lessons learned from each.
Refine what works about Ubisoft and/or Sony's open world approaches to single player and multiplayer, and propagate IPs returning, even if say oen each instead of... was it 25 Assassins Creed games I read about?
The Rainbow 6 Siege director went back to Guerrilla and is the game director of Horizon Online. Other Ubisoft key staff of multiple GaaS and non GaaS games including R6S or The Division and other record breaking new IPs as were AC or Watchdogs are the key staff of Haven, also acquired by Jim/Hermen.

There's no "hybrid" ownership, Bungie is 100% owned by SIE.