Bungie Devs Say Atmosphere Is ‘Soul-Crushing’ Amid Layoffs, Cuts, and Fear of Total Sony Takeover

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Everyone’s favorite Paul tassi getting someone upset about something somewhere…

(Watching now but I usually agree with most tassi obvious hot takes)

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Everyone’s favorite Paul tassi getting someone upset about something somewhere…

(Watching now but I usually agree with most tassi obvious hot takes)
Well:
  • SIE already took over Bungie, Sony bought them and Bungie is a fully owned SIE subsidiary. SIE owns 100% of Bungie, meaning since the acquisition SIE can do with Bungie whatever they want
  • According to Sony and Bungie most of the people got fired as part of the acquisition, because these -non game development, people from HR, PR, marketing, QA...- roles won't be needed there because they are handled by other teams inside the corportation that bought them (as usual in any acquisition). Meaning, other people will continue making this same role
  • A few other people, I assume in higher up positions of the game development side, may have been fired/left themselves due to an important underperformance, either because of taking responsability for it or due cost savings to partially compensate it (as usual in any company)
  • The around 100 people fired represent only around 9% (probably less) of their (at least 1100+) people workforce, and most of them aren't from game development departments. So the development of their games shouldn't be affected by it
  • One of the things they did after the acquisition is to bump the hirings, something SIE has been doing in recent years with all their studios. In Bungie they have open job offers in around a dozen different areas
  • Destiny 2 is over 6 years old, it's normal to start losing player support and its sunseting when it's 6-7 years old
  • Marathon announcement got record engagement numbers in social media, indicating there's a lot of player interest on it
  • Bungie has more projects in the works to be released in the next few years, and now have Sony's financial backing
TLDR: No reasons for any drama

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well:
  • SIE already took over Bungie, Sony bought them and Bungie is a fully owned SIE subsidiary. SIE owns 100% of Bungie, meaning since the acquisition SIE can do with Bungie whatever they want
  • According to Sony and Bungie most of the people got fired as part of the acquisition, because these -non game development, people from HR, PR, marketing, QA...- roles won't be needed there becuase they are handled by other teams inside the corportation that bought them (as usual in any acquisition). Meaning, other people will continue making this same role
  • A few other people, I assume in higher up positions of the game development side, may have been fired/left themselves due to an important underperformance, either because of taking responsability for it or due cost savings to partially compensate it (as usual in any company)
  • The around 100 people fired represent only around 9% (probably less) of their (at least 1100+) people workforce, and most of them aren't from game development departments. So the development of their games shouldn't be affected by it
  • One of the things they did after the acquisition is to bump the hirings, something SIE has been doing in recent years with all their studios. In Bungie they have open job offers in around a dozen different areas
  • Destiny 2 is over 6 years old, it's normal to start losing player support and its sunseting when it's 6-7 years old
  • Marathon announcement got record engagement numbers in social media, indicating there's a lot of player interest on it
  • Bungie has more projects in the works to be released in the next few years, and now have Sony's financial backing
TLDR: No reasons for any drama
Nice!

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

If these are a correct take on the article, I have to ask who crowned Bungie lord and masters of GAAS? If TLOU Online releases (first of all), laden with scummy mtx and all the issues that plauge Bungie's releases, I'm gonna be pissed off.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

If these are a correct take on the article, I have to ask who crowned Bungie lord and masters of GAAS? If TLOU Online releases (first of all), laden with scummy mtx and all the issues that plauge Bungie's releases, I'm gonna be pissed off.
Yeah tlou factions already made good money with mtx as well as Uncharted they just had to iterate on tht on a larger scale so idk WTF (if rumors are true) ND would have to look to them. It's stupid thinking and two diff games focusing on diff things.

• fire
Reactions: ksdixon