Bungie lays off 17% of their workforce (155 employees moving to SIE)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Oh this is big news! Seems they are definitely on good terms for the most part with SiE as well. Looking forward to seeing what they can do under Sony's leadership

Reactions: Sircaw and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Form a new studio within PS studio with their incubation project. Interesting with or without Blundell?

They expanded and moved in a new HQ when acquired, I think Totoki pulled the ropes regarding financials and headcount. They were rumoured working on 2 additional projects, one of which would be a mobile game so I assume that got cut the other one is internal at PS studios now.
But is this message that they saved the board with these cuts or has Sony fully taken over, sounds a bit like in the middle. I do appreciate Bungie's honesty as per usual in these messages.

So only Destiny and Marathon from Bungie?
I was hoping they woud be making a new 1st person sp ip.

I also wonder what happens to there mobile game?

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
So only Destiny and Marathon from Bungie?
I was hoping they woud be making a new 1st person sp ip.

I also wonder what happens to there mobile game?
Yep seems so, I think it's for the better like they stated they are spread too thin to support 3 main games. Probably focus on Marathon and keep the Destiny 2 revenue going, after that likely Destiny 3.
Have to wait what the new internal PS studio is going to make, even if it's live-service hopefully it got SP. Regarding the mobile game I think it's cancelled or small slight chance given to Neon Koi with some staff.

Reactions: Kokoloko and voke

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Noice Thats Nice GIF

Reactions: Puff

Jivesh1995

20 Jun 2023
South Africa
brotaku.net
Honestly, Pete needs to go.

They cut 300 jobs in under a year.

The last time Bungie had layoffs they gave employees little to no notice and they did it purely to avoid losing control of the company.

Reactions: Bryank75

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I wonder if its the same game Jason Blundell has been working on?
Yep, could be a team formed around him but at the same time it is said Sci-fi action and my assumption with him is that his team/studio is going to make a more grounded military type shooter.

Small studio.... probably won't see what they're cooking until next gen im assuming.
Positive from Schreier is that (besides more people keeping their jobs) is that 75 members are outside of the 155 moving. I mean they could get a studio support them like Firewalk, they got 150 staff I don't expect the full team to be on Concord after launch. Maybe end of the gen at this point?

Sony has taken over Bungie Jeff Grubb just said...
All according to (contingency) plan especially when Jimbo put Hermen on the board there.
82f3e38c38d1401d828e7afb5c1cb29dc12131fa.gif

Reactions: AllBizness

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Honestly, Pete needs to go.

They cut 300 jobs in under a year.

The last time Bungie had layoffs they gave employees little to no notice and they did it purely to avoid losing control of the company.

Pete and upper management just high on their own supply. They expanded massively in the last like 5-6 years.
Man fired like 100 something people last year and they were back at 1.3k employees.

Like, Bungie makes money, but I don't think its big enough to support working on 3-4 other projects especially at the salary that Bungie is at. They're in the Seattle dev scene where salaries are quite high and probably only beaten by California salaries.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So:
  • 220 (17% of the total) roles will be eliminated
  • 155 (12% of the total) Bungle employees move to other SIE offices
  • One of their incubation projects spinoffs to create their own studio within PS Studios (didn't specify the amount of people, pretty likely part of the 155, or 68 people they didn't specify where will go)
  • 850 people remain working on Destiny and Marathon
  • Doing some maths, they were 1292-1294 people before this
  • There are around 68 people who either will remains at Bungie on non-Destiny/Marathon specific stuff (meaning, now Bungie would have 918 people) maybe in tasks like HR, IT, finances, prototyping incubation projects, engine / tech stuff, etc. or that leave to create that new PS Studios team
Moving to SIE? Good news for a bad situation
The enterity of Bungie moved to SIE when was acquired, Bungie is now a SIE subsidiary. They are moving some people to other SIE teams.

Probably some of that people moved to the new PS Studios team that will work in the project incubated at Bungie. Other people may be HR, IT, publishing, legal, publishing, sales, marketing, PR, etc. positions that aren't needed at Bungie because SIE already has centralized dedicated teams covering all SIE teams, so they moved that people to wherever office they are.

This seems like a good thing? Most people are moving to Sony and they are also creating a new studio inside PS Studios to develop a new action game. Bungie is still 850 employees, one of the biggest studios in the industry.
I'd say that sounds normal.

Seems that in recent years overhired and were too optimistic with their goals, so now did cut the fat and thightened the belt.

One of their incubation projects seems promising enough to turn it into a new PS Studios team, which is good news.

Part of the people moved to other SIE teams may be partly to create that PS Studios team, or probably to eliminate redundancy on positions that SIE handles for all their internal studios from a single team so no longer are needed at Bungie and some of them get moved to these central teams.

There are around 68 people that they didn't specify where they will be. They are either the people who moved to create the new PS Studios team or are people who will continue at Bungie doing non Destiny and Marathon specific stuff (which would mean Bungie now has aroun 918 people, not 850).

Send them over to FireWalk 🤔
Maybe some are: 155 people are being moved to other SIE teams, and Firewalk is the only one available in the same city than Bungie.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nice to see another PS Studios team, and incubated by Bungie.

I also love to see it's an action game, a new IP and with scifi fantasy setting.

Sony has taken over Bungie Jeff Grubb just said...
Yes, SIE took over Bungie back in early 2022 when bougth the 100% of the company and turned it into a SIE subsidiary.

I wonder if its the same game Jason Blundell has been working on?
The Jason Blundell team is in Los Angeles and Bungie is pretty far, in Bellevue, Washington. And I'd say he and his team are very experienced and successful, so don't need to be incubated. Incubators (I mentor in one, in the past in another one) normally work with unexperienced teams, normally young people that normally comes from the university.

So I bet it's a different team. But who knows, maybe it's that team and did most stuff remotely.

Last edited: