Bungie lays off 17% of their workforce (155 employees moving to SIE)

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

"First, we are deepening our integration with Sony Interactive Entertainment, working to integrate 155 of our roles, roughly 12%, into SIE over the next few quarters. SIE has worked tirelessly with us to identify roles for as many of our people as possible, enabling us together to save a great deal of talent that would otherwise have been affected by the reduction in force.   

Second, we are working with PlayStation Studios leadership to spin out one of our incubation projects – an action game set in a brand-new science-fantasy universe – to form a new studio within PlayStation Studios to continue its promising development. " 

Creatives selling out is rarely ever a good sign. they seem to have fully integrated with SIE and with that, many jobs will be lost. Good news is, It seems SIE/Bungie will collab in a new exclusive IP.

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Meh they should have shut down firewalk at least bungie ships games that people actually play but this purchase remains a retarded one trumped only by xbox's ignominious activison and bethesda deals. For 3+ billion dollars all Sony has to show for it is the final shape, lightfall, a slew of cancellations and brand damage, Investing in the top 500 stocks would have given more returns honestly

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This seems like a good thing? Most people are moving to Sony and they are also creating a new studio inside PS Studios to develop a new action game. Bungie is still 850 employees, one of the biggest studios in the industry.

I bet the clickbait will demonize and blame Sony like they did last time and call for boycotts 🙄

First, we are deepening our integration with Sony Interactive Entertainment, working to integrate 155 of our roles, roughly 12%, into SIE over the next few quarters. SIE has worked tirelessly with us to identify roles for as many of our people as possible, enabling us together to save a great deal of talent that would otherwise have been affected by the reduction in force.   

Second, we are working with PlayStation Studios leadership to spin out one of our incubation projects – an action game set in a brand-new science-fantasy universe – to form a new studio within PlayStation Studios to continue its promising development.  

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Form a new studio within PS studio with their incubation project. Interesting with or without Blundell?

They expanded and moved in a new HQ when acquired, I think Totoki pulled the ropes regarding financials and headcount. They were rumoured working on 2 additional projects, one of which would be a mobile game so I assume that got cut the other one is internal at PS studios now.
But is this message that they saved the board with these cuts or has Sony fully taken over, sounds a bit like in the middle. I do appreciate Bungie's honesty as per usual in these messages.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Following the news of restructuring, this seems like a big deal that is getting buried a bit

Second, we are working with PlayStation Studios leadership to spin out one of our incubation projects – an action game set in a brand-new science-fantasy universe – to form a new studio within PlayStation Studios to continue its promising development.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The more time passes I see this happening. Marathon might be the last game Bungie releases on Xbox
i think its gonna be everyone’s last game on Xbox soon. So it wont even matter

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
They must've missed their sales target. Pretty sure a couple months ago there was a big thing about this potentially happening if Bungie couldn't generate a decent profit after the whole money bleeding situation SIE would have to step in to adjust the situation and have morre control at the helm. Regardless, hopefully, those affected won't be out of work for too long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This seems like a good thing? Most people are moving to Sony and they are also creating a new studio inside PS Studios to develop a new action game. Bungie is still 850 employees, one of the biggest studios in the industry.

I bet the clickbait will demonize and blame Sony like they did last time and call for boycotts 🙄
adding to OP

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Hopefully laying off all of the insane woke people that have ruined any lore coming out them the last 10 years. The new studio sounds like a good idea.