by sticking to the traditional model... Nintendo Switch 2 will dominate this gen

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
GTA6 will almost 100% get a Switch 2 port, probably around or even ahead of the PC version. T2 & R* will save PC for last so they can get PS, Xbox and Nintendo owners to double-dip there.

It's 99% certain getting a port of GTA6. Or at least definitely the next iteration of GTA Online. The only question is when.

GTA 6: ~ 2026 (1 year or so after PS5 & Xbox)

GTA Online: At or near launch (most six months after PS5)

People act like Rockstar have not made games for Nintendo hardware before but as DMA Design (remember, Rockstar is a subsidiary of T2 formed out of acquired BMG Interactive assets, one of which was DMA Design), they arguably started making their first console exclusives on Nintendo hardware (Body Harvest, Space Station Silicon Valley). Heck, DMA Design (who also made GTA) had several exclusives with Nintendo between the SNES and N64.

That's my roundabout way of saying, R* don't have an aversion to Nintendo hardware. Far from it, especially the DMA Design side of them (which is the side that made the GTA series). Save it being a complete and utter disaster out of the gate, Switch 2 is a lock for getting a version of GTA6.

Did GTA4 and GTA5 get Switch ports?

If they didn’t with 140 million Switch units on the market what makes you think GTA6 will get a port.

Why does everyone make it sound like there will be 100 million Switch 2 units sold at launch.

It’s a new console.

Not gonna talk about the technical reasons for it to be unlikely.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

Ico

8 May 2024
The strategy of making a hybrid console helped them a lot, now with both groups of developers united they have games launching every year, especially since they have cultivated fans who don't care about graphics and AAA bloat

heck, even the group that likes exclusives is satisfied since they don't seem to have any interest in the PC

they have everything to have a nice gen

Reactions: toucandela

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

If they didn’t with 140 million Switch units on the market what makes you think GTA6 will get a port.

Why does everyone make it sound like there will be 100 million Switch 2 units sold at launch.

It’s a new console.

The Switch has a mediocre processor (cpu) and GTA4/5 are a CPU intensive games.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Excuses.

GTA4/5 launched on the PS3.

And the Switch 2?

What CPU does that have to run GTA6?
Switch cpu is weaker than PS3 cpu.

3n9HGwF.png

For GTA6, when it comes out on PC, we'll see what the minimum cpu is to run it.

Which is is why any Switch 2 version of GTA6 would need to be heavily stripped down to get a consistent 30fps if it even comes at all.
We'll have to see if Rockstar wants to make a version even more disgusting than the Series S version. If the Switch 2 is too far away, I'm not sure they'll want to do a native port on it. Wait and see.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

3n9HGwF.png

We'll have to see if Rockstar wants to make a version even more disgusting than the Series S version. If the Switch 2 is too far away, I'm not sure they'll want to do a native port on it. Wait and see.

Agree completely.

The Switch 2 will be weaker than the Series S.

The most powerful handheld costing 1000 dollars doesn’t compete with the Series S so I doubt the Switch 2 will.

You can bet the CPU is weaker.

Good luck to those who believe GTA6 is coming to Switch 2. GTA 4/5 are more likely.

24 Jun 2022

It’s a new console.

GTA4 was old news by the time Switch launched, and doing a Switch version of GTA5 might've been too demanding combined with focus on RDR2 and GTA Online. GTA V didn't even get a mobile port.

The Switch 2 will have DLSS 3.1; base specs put it at roughly PS4 level and with DLSS it can perform closer to a Series S. GTA6 is already getting a Series S port, R* and T2 want to increase sales of the game by as much as possible. For these reasons alone it only makes sense for there to be a Switch 2 port of GTA6, probably ahead of the planned PC port. That way, they can get PS, Xbox and Switch 2 owners to double-dip on the PC release, which is more overall sales for the game vs. skipping Switch 2 or bringing a Switch 2 version after the PC one.

The appeal of a native portable version of GTA6 is going to have its market, and to maximize sales flow it'd be smart to do that prior to a PC port. It just turns out Switch 2 will be the only platform on the market able to offer that type of experience with a customer base that is still willing to double-dip on a PC version for those with powerful rigs. And yes Switch 2 won't have 100 million units Day 1, but I guarantee you it will do well over 6x the numbers Steam Deck has been able to muster up to this point, in its first year alone.

That should make for a Switch 2 install base of at least 18-20 million by the time a port of GTA6 would potentially arrive in 2026 (early 2026; I still believe Switch 2 is launching in Q1 2025). With those types of numbers in a single year, yeah I think R* and T2 would focus on a port especially if, again, considering they're releasing the game on a much less popular Xbox console install base that also includes the Series S.

3n9HGwF.png

This doesn't tell us anything as:

1-We don't know the official Switch 2 CPU specs and,

2-This chart shows the Series S CPU as better than the PS5's. IMO that immediately invalidates the whole chart. Also,

3-The chart is just showing paper specs. We should've learned a long time ago that going by paper specs means nothing, especially if focused on just one part of the system. I.e all the hype around Series X due to its paper specs vs. actual results.

It's about the entire system architecture and how everything works together. So it ultimately may not matter if the Switch 2's CPU is "weaker" than PS3's on paper if it's using technologies well beyond what a PS3, or even the PS5 and Series X, could offer, and integrates them neatly into the system design.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Console warriors and exclsuives man lmfao. their pride and shining armor..... that said ill be day 1 for switch 2, for monolith softs next game alone

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
We get games more on time with less delays than if it were on every platform. Exclusive games are more polished too with more effort put into gameplay systems and features.

Consumer benefit.
I get what you mean, it is true. the post you originally quoted isn't about that though. It's that just pointing out console warriors think exclusives are the end all be all, when in reality they are not.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I get what you mean, it is true. the post you originally quoted isn't about that though. It's that just pointing out console warriors think exclusives are the end all be all, when in reality they are not.

I guess so. Yeah.

I probably have more 3rd party games than 1st and 3rd party exclusives. But I can’t deny there’s something tangibly special about the games that are exclusive.

• they're_right_you_know

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I guess so. Yeah.

I probably have more 3rd party games than 1st and 3rd party exclusives. But I can’t deny there’s something tangibly special about the games that are exclusive.
100% as they make the platform unique. But I'm well aware 80% of people investing into consoles aren't worried about that sorta thing. OP of this thread believe that "true" exclusives will carry them to the top but in reality, that's a reach, even for Nintendo. Exclusive games definitely attract the day 1, hardcore base, but the general crowd? I have my doubts.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
100% as they make the platform unique. But I'm well aware 80% of people investing into consoles aren't worried about that sorta thing. OP of this thread believe that "true" exclusives will carry them to the top but in reality, that's a reach, even for Nintendo. Exclusive games definitely attract the day 1, hardcore base, but the general crowd? I have my doubts.

Well for Nintendo their first party games are literally the main attraction for their console. It’s one of the reasons why they sell so much.

3rd party games have very little to do with the Switch’s success. It’s the first party games and the portable console functionality.

• brain
Reactions: arvfab and voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Well for Nintendo their first party games are literally the main attraction for their console. It’s one of the reasons why they sell so much.

3rd party games have very little to do with the Switch’s success. It’s the first party games and the portable console functionality.
you reckon they'll match the switches numbers at $100 more expensive? I feel as if Nintendo is at it's best when they innovate with their console, rather than iterate. Very curious to see how they go about next gen (and dying for a next gen monolith soft game)

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
you reckon they'll match the switches numbers at $100 more expensive? I feel as if Nintendo is at it's best when they innovate with their console, rather than iterate. Very curious to see how they go about next gen (and dying for a next gen monolith soft game)

If it’s just a Switch but more powerful maybe not. Nintendo Switch is such a success it probably won’t even matter and they’ll have no problem transition Switch owners to buy Switch 2.

I doubt Nintendo will be that complacent though to do a simple sequel to Switch. I believe they will have a new hook.

• Heart