by sticking to the traditional model... Nintendo Switch 2 will dominate this gen

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
What you get out of a game matters just as much, if not far more than, what was put into it. I'd gladly put 60 dollars towards a new 3D Mario game, even if it only had Galaxy-level technical specks but wouldn't put five towards Hellblade as anything more than a collectable trophy.
Still a rip-off. The production values of these games, and the fact many of them are remakes or variations on a theme mean they're just resting on their IPs and rinsing their fans.

Helldivers meanwhile is a very entertaining game which only costs $40 and spent seven years in pre-production/development and continues to get support.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Still a rip-off. The production values of these games, and the fact many of them are remakes or variations on a theme mean they're just resting on their IPs and rinsing their fans.

Helldivers meanwhile is a very entertaining game which only costs $40 and spent seven years in pre-production/development and continues to get support.
In regards to the production values, its not though, if a game gives you a certain amount of enjoyment, then its worth the price. There are tons of great indie teams that have a production team population of one or two and by your comparison they should all be selling their game for twenty cents because thats per person cost comparable to Spiderman 2. Well guess what, your massive team size, amazing graphic games don't actually add anything to the formula and instead of asking Nintendo to mess with its game planning maybe its other groups that need to be messing with theirs.

Reactions: toucandela

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
In regards to the production values, its not though, if a game gives you a certain amount of enjoyment, then its worth the price. There are tons of great indie teams that have a production team population of one or two and by your comparison they should all be selling their game for twenty cents because thats per person cost comparable to Spiderman 2. Well guess what, your massive team size, amazing graphic games don't actually add anything to the formula and instead of asking Nintendo to mess with its game planning maybe its other groups that need to be messing with theirs.
We both know what production values mean.

If a game features graphics, animation, physics, character models that are basic and done on the cheap, why should gamers be asked to pay full price? Pay AAA prices for some AA content?

And these things absolutely do add things to the formula - which is why the Switch is skipped over for many third-party games, as will the Switch 2 will be aswell (even if to a lower extent).

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
He will make sure that happens

If Sony doesn’t do something about Square Enix, they will go back to Nintendo with their AAA games.

Which will be bad for us PS5 owners since they will have to compromise on performance and quality.

Sony will do something... they'll put more of their IP on Nintendo Switch, it won't end on Horizon, just like it didn't end on Horizon when it came to PC ports, that's what they gonna to do... you can forget SE exclusivity, it's over, the last exclusive FF game will be FF7 Part 3 and probably for contractual obligations

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
We both know what production values mean.

If a game features graphics, animation, physics, character models that are basic and done on the cheap, why should gamers be asked to pay full price? Pay AAA prices for some AA content?

And these things absolutely do add things to the formula - which is why the Switch is skipped over for many third-party games, as will the Switch 2 will be aswell (even if to a lower extent).
Yeah, I think we do, and here's what it means: Paying an extra ten to twenty dollars for things that do not affect gameplay, are usually not even noticed and often (see: voice acting and mocap) actually make the game objectively worse. Thank goodness Nintendo doesn't emphasize that.

Reactions: BroodCorp

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I think it's nonsense, Nintendo is just going to do the same thing it did with the Switch and Sony isn't going to stand by and watch its success. But whatever, PS6 will be the last generation of consoles, so it should strengthen Cloud Streaming

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
PS6 will be the last generation of consoles, so it should strengthen Cloud Streaming
LMAO, people have been saying that since the PS3. Sure, companies will throw away a 100 million users and move on to a platform that most people, even in the U.S., don't have access to. And no, internet infrastructure won't be that good by that time. And that's not counting the rest of the world.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
The idea that sticking to the traditional course is what made Nintendo successful with the Switch is absurd. They are successful because they kept 3P ports and support coming, and they merged their two business lines (handheld and home console) to create a unified 1P team that delivered with consistent cadence. Nintendo is able to withstand being on one console only BECAUSE the Switch has been successful, not vice-versa.

The problem with Nintendo has historically been them oscillating between feast (Wii) to famine (Wii U). There's no in-between there. The other big problem they have historically faced is their audience aging out and seeking more grown-up entertainment.

The biggest question in my mind is how Nintendo is going to convince its playerbase to move to Switch 2? Like you gotta keep in mind that most Nintendo purchasers are trained not to care about visual fidelity or even game scale (what will more detailed models or bigger game world even add to a Mario game?), so what will the Switch 2 offer them that isn't exactly that? You look at Nintendo exec comments over the past few months, and it seems to me like their budgets are also beginning to get inflated as well.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Ahem…

Handhelds cannot dominate against home consoles they’re not competing against.

Nintendo only makes gameboy now.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
With having their next games only on their console?
But how do you convince mommy to pay for another, more expensive, console to play Mario, when little Jimmy already has a Mario game to play on his old Switch? It's a hard sell for casuals. Look how many people still plat on PS4. And if this thing gets more support from 3rd party, those publishers won't be exclusively releasing for 2. They'll keep the Switch alive.

I don't think this thing will do as well as people expect it to.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
But how do you convince mommy to pay for another, more expensive, console to play Mario, when little Jimmy already has a Mario game to play on his old Switch? It's a hard sell for casuals. Look how many people still plat on PS4. And if this thing gets more support from 3rd party, those publishers won't be exclusively releasing for 2. They'll keep the Switch alive.

Didn't know mommy and daddy still buy consoles for their 20+ years old children....

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
With having their next games only on their console?
That's one possible way, but given that none of their games prioritize visual fidelity, why would the users find it convincing that Super Mario Odyssey 2 HAS to be on Switch?

I think it will do well in growing the total number of Switch users + upselling them into being more profitable for Nintendo (similar to PS5). But I don't think it is guaranteed to be a monster hit on the level of Switch.

Luckily for Nintendo, this is exactly what they need, stable growth of income and less stormy waters.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
They are going to be $100 more expensive this gen. I think they move slightly less units but have a far more profitable gen.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Yeah, I think we do, and here's what it means: Paying an extra ten to twenty dollars for things that do not affect gameplay, are usually not even noticed and often (see: voice acting and mocap) actually make the game objectively worse. Thank goodness Nintendo doesn't emphasize that.
Interesting that devs are emphasising things that do not affect gameplay, usually not even noticed, and often make games worse 🤔

Thank goodness Nintendo is here to sell many of it's cheaply-made games for $60 or $70 which run at ~25fps with low image quality and hardly every go on sale 🥳

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Interesting that devs are emphasising things that do not affect gameplay, usually not even noticed, and often make games worse 🤔

Thank goodness Nintendo is here to sell many of it's cheaply-made games for $60 or $70 which run at ~25fps with low image quality and hardly every go on sale 🥳
This but unironically.

MrAss

24 May 2024
you can forget SE exclusivity, it's over, the last exclusive FF game will be FF7 Part 3 and probably for contractual obligations
In fact since 2020 SE released more Switch console exclusives than PS console exclusives. It's just all Switch exclusives were AA games and bombed so hard nobody even remembers them.

24 Jun 2022
The idea that sticking to the traditional course is what made Nintendo successful with the Switch is absurd. They are successful because they kept 3P ports and support coming, and they merged their two business lines (handheld and home console) to create a unified 1P team that delivered with consistent cadence. Nintendo is able to withstand being on one console only BECAUSE the Switch has been successful, not vice-versa.

The problem with Nintendo has historically been them oscillating between feast (Wii) to famine (Wii U). There's no in-between there. The other big problem they have historically faced is their audience aging out and seeking more grown-up entertainment.

The biggest question in my mind is how Nintendo is going to convince its playerbase to move to Switch 2? Like you gotta keep in mind that most Nintendo purchasers are trained not to care about visual fidelity or even game scale (what will more detailed models or bigger game world even add to a Mario game?), so what will the Switch 2 offer them that isn't exactly that? You look at Nintendo exec comments over the past few months, and it seems to me like their budgets are also beginning to get inflated as well.

Easiest answer ever: new massive mainline exclusives only on Switch 2.

That's been Nintendo's answer for generations of hardware past and present, and it won't change now.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
For every successful Nintendo console there has been a failure too.

Let’s not count the chickens before they hatched.

Will it be a runaway success like the Switch? Highly doubt it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke