Callisto Protocol | Review Thread

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Saving is one of the things Xbox does really well.

I remember playing rdr1 on 360 then revisiting it like six years later on x1x. The old saved synced from the cloud immediately and it picked up like I had been playing it yesterday.

It might not sound like much but it was nice given it was a BC game on a different console. That’s really how it should work everywhere.

That's nice to know. Seems like a superior system when compared to both the PS consoles and the Switch.

Reactions: Dr Bass

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That's nice to know. Seems like a superior system when compared to both the PS consoles and the Switch.
PlayStation isn't much different these days. Press Options from the main system screen with a game highlighted and one of the choices you get is Upload/Download online save. Not fully automatic, but not exactly backbreaking labour either.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It wasn't a legitimate question I was being an asshole and bagging him for being a writer and writing "workman's ship". But I appreciate the several sincere replies I received regarding this. I'm not a huge fan of soyance fiction these days.
ah, I see now, well like I replied to someone else, my spelling is not something i can control due to my dyslexia, hence why after my spell checkers i send my stories to a proofreader. ( there are hundreds of errors)

Getting pretty fucked off though with people constantly correcting or trying to belittle me because of my grammar and spelling.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
PlayStation isn't much different these days. Press Options from the main system screen with a game highlighted and one of the choices you get is Upload/Download online save. Not fully automatic, but not exactly backbreaking labour either.
people can't handle screwdriver, you think they can handle button pressing? 😂

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's not just that though. There has been multiple issues with cross saves not being compatible and other "conversion" difficulties with the PS platform.

I am not a fan of the current Xbox division, but the Xbox saving system is just better in this case. It works with everything, has no incompatibility issues I am aware of, and requires no thought whatsoever. It's practically the single thing they nail.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It's not just that though. There has been multiple issues with cross saves not being compatible and other "conversion" difficulties with the PS platform.

I am not a fan of the current Xbox division, but the Xbox saving system is just better in this case. It works with everything, has no incompatibility issues I am aware of, and requires no thought whatsoever. It's practically the single thing they nail.
Sony made a choice with save not being compatible between PS4 and PS5 for multiple reasons, foremost being security, as they don't want another system compromised by save exploits, so games have to have their own mechanism to transfer a save between generations. Not great, but I understand.

Where things get shitty is devs not putting in the capability to transfer at all, and in some of those cases, a certain competitor "encouraged" them not to give that option, as with the Yakuza 7 and Lost Judgment situations.

Other than that, what issues have you specifically, personally encountered? Even before the option was added to the main screen for PS4, I had no issues uploading a save from my PS4 to the cloud and downloading to my daughter's PS5 and loading that save in the same build I saved from, and I have never read about anyone else having problems. I'm very curious what problems you encountered.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

But you need plus, I think?

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If you don't have Plus, you can still use a USB drive to transport files. To do that, go to Settings, Application Saved Data, and find the save you want. It's not as streamlined, but it is an option they provide for free.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony made a choice with save not being compatible between PS4 and PS5 for multiple reasons, foremost being security, as they don't want another system compromised by save exploits, so games have to have their own mechanism to transfer a save between generations. Not great, but I understand.

Where things get shitty is devs not putting in the capability to transfer at all, and in some of those cases, a certain competitor "encouraged" them not to give that option, as with the Yakuza 7 and Lost Judgment situations.

Other than that, what issues have you specifically, personally encountered? Even before the option was added to the main screen for PS4, I had no issues uploading a save from my PS4 to the cloud and downloading to my daughter's PS5 and loading that save in the same build I saved from, and I have never read about anyone else having problems. I'm very curious what problems you encountered.
You don't remember issues like the FF7 remake save transfer problem? Entire articles were written about how to manage it. Needing to download games to "resave" in a format the PS5 could read, etc.

They just don't have a seamless system is all. It's mostly fine, but it's not "magic" like the Xbox stuff. It's ok for Xbox to have one thing it's better at ya know. :p

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
You don't remember issues like the FF7 remake save transfer problem? Entire articles were written about how to manage it. Needing to download games to "resave" in a format the PS5 could read, etc.

They just don't have a seamless system is all. It's mostly fine, but it's not "magic" like the Xbox stuff. It's ok for Xbox to have one thing it's better at ya know. :p
That was Square's issue, since save transfers are handled by the dev/publisher, and honestly, the outrage was overblown, as is usually the case.

Does the Xbox system work if you don't have a Gold or GPU sub?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If you don't have Plus, you can still use a USB drive to transport files. To do that, go to Settings, Application Saved Data, and find the save you want. It's not as streamlined, but it is an option they provide for free.
I know that. I was focusing on cloud saves.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
but it just PS4, they removed it from PS5 which is a bitch move. so if you don't save PS+ and your system brokes, you are screwed. if you want transfer your save files from one PS5 of yours to other PS5 - you are screwed. that is a scammy move by sony.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bit of a goalpost move, as you insinuated there was no save transfer at all on PS.

Wait, where?

Wait, if you delete a game from the Xbox it deletes the local save?
Fuckin hell you had me scared for a second thinking the XSX doesn't save locally.

I literally talked about local saves from the beginning. My last comment is about the cloud save feature that is superior to the other two (apparently). You then added some stuff about cloud saves, and I said this:

So if anything, you moved the goalpost.

P

peter42O

Fuckin hell you had me scared for a second thinking the XSX doesn't save locally.

Sorry about that. But XSX is perfectly fine. It was all me and is actually a bad gaming habit I have where I rage quit game every once in a while and uninstall it all without thinking it through.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Wait, where?

I literally talked about local saves from the beginning. My last comment is about the cloud save feature that is superior to the other two (apparently). You then added some stuff about cloud saves, and I said this:

So if anything, you moved the goalpost.
My mistake, then.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sorry about that. But XSX is perfectly fine. It was all me and is actually a bad gaming habit I have where I rage quit game every once in a while and uninstall it all without thinking it through.

All good. And again, as a PS and Switch owner, it seems to me like XB takes the edge on cloud saves as they don't require a subscription.

P

peter42O

All good. And again, as a PS and Switch owner, it seems to me like XB takes the edge on cloud saves as they don't require a subscription.

They definitely have an edge there and I must admit that their free cloud saves have literally saved me multiple times already this generation to where I didn't need to restart the entire game from the beginning. I only wish there was someway to access those free cloud saves from a user standpoint so I could see what is actually stored in there.

I used to use a flash drive to backup my save files on PS4 but as someone pointed out several posts above, Sony prevents this from being done on PS5 which is a shame because that also helped me out a few times last generation.

Reactions: Satoru

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They definitely have an edge there and I must admit that their free cloud saves have literally saved me multiple times already this generation to where I didn't need to restart the entire game from the beginning. I only wish there was someway to access those free cloud saves from a user standpoint so I could see what is actually stored in there.

I used to use a flash drive to backup my save files on PS4 but as someone pointed out several posts above, Sony prevents this from being done on PS5 which is a shame because that also helped me out a few times last generation.
my PS5 bricked and i had to restart it from default. so, lost all my saves. scammy move by sony remove saves from transfem them to usb.