Can we stop acting or run with the narrative that PS is not a direct competitor to Nintendo Switch

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Idk why this is a narrative when Jim Ryan stated in the FTC trial that PC is a direct competitor. This would also apply to Steam & Steamdeck. If PC is a direct competitor per Sony then Nintendo & Nintendo consoles like Switch are direct competitors.

They both play games they both have online one of them have true exclusive & in the future with the Switch 2 & Switch 3 the power gap between PS consoles & Nintendo consoles will become less & less notable with all 3rd party releasing on all platform simultaneously.

Don’t get why we exclude Nintendo other then cope with the fact PS will never surpass or match Nintendo console sells. And instead PS is being compared with Xbox who has 0 exclusive games & are dead in the water. You know PS is down bad when we have to compare PS to Xbox it’s like comparing Lebron to a person in a wheelchair when comparing them in basketball. Instead of comparing Lebron to Kobe, Michael Jordan or any matching level basketball player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Spider Man is only a Sony IP on the movie side. The Gaming side of Spider-Man is owned by Marvel

Reactions: TigerFang

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Last week people were losing their mind here saying Sony would never release non GaaS game on PC day one. One week later we get a new Horizon game releasing on PC and Switch day one.

Lmao, PlayStation is the new Xbox. Now we'll see who are the blue rats.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Nintendo and Sony are friends! They buried the hatchet after 30 years 💙❤️

I'm really wondering what has changed. My eyebrow raised when Nintendo did that great MLB The Show ad recently. Should be interesting to see what else PlayStation will give them in the future 🤔

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Nintendo and Sony are friends! They buried the hatchet after 30 years 💙❤️

This game would’ve been a cool exclusive & brought many new people to the PS ecosystem but instead they will get it on PC, Nintendo & the very few on PS.

These are the kinda games that PS need full of charm & fun gameplay to bring family & a younger generation to PS instead it’s multiplat.

If Sony is smart they don’t partner w Lego & instead make these AA games version of established ip like GOW, Demon Souls, Uncharted/TLOU, Ratchet & Clank that have charm & have a focus on fun gameplay. PS needs more AA games from first party especially games like these that aren’t your narrative focus singleplayer game but exclusive. Give me a 3D side scrolling platform Ratchet & Clank game or a Uncharted game in the veins of Metal Slug both 4 player online coop

OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I'm really wondering what has changed. My eyebrow raised when Nintendo did that great MLB The Show ad recently. Should be interesting to see what else PlayStation will give them in the future 🤔
Wouldn’t be surprise if live service goes to Nintendo Switch 2 day 1.

There’s really no reason to get a PS6 other then getting squeezed & paying a higher cost almost across the board on anything gaming related on the “PS ecosystem”

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Wouldn’t be surprise if live service goes to Nintendo Switch 2 day 1.

There’s really no reason to get a PS6 other then getting squeezed & paying a higher cost almost across the board on anything gaming related on the “PS ecosystem”
Well I think we need to see how this generation plays out. How the New PS IP's fares and how they handle Single Player releases on PS6.

Next year will really be the year when we see their true colors 🤔

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Damn I swear some people here seem as emotional as Xbox fans, what’s going on lol A Lego game really got folks acting up

I think its purely a smart move that they are launching it on switch as well.

Younger people will be interested in the IP & would want to get a playstation.

They would be gathering an practically immense amount of mindshare connecting that with the PS Studios & PlayStation brand.

Switch also has that younger audience & its absolutely smart to build mindshare over there.

THAT IS THE AUDIENCE THAT SONY YEARNS FOR BUT ONLY NINTENDO HAS CURRENTLY.

That's also the audience that will have a major say in the future of gaming.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Damn I swear some people here seem as emotional as Xbox fans, what’s going on lol A Lego game really got folks acting up
exactly. Companies excluding Nintendo are being more liberal with IP, and even that is arguable because I can download a Mario game on my iPhone.

People here care more about the “health” of brands rather than the games themselves.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Last week people were losing their mind here saying Sony would never release non GaaS game on PC day one. One week later we get a new Horizon game releasing on PC and Switch day one.

Lmao, PlayStation is the new Xbox. Now we'll see who are the blue rats.
Id rather have Lego Horizon made by a 3rd party than Horizon 2 going over 2 years later

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Can we stop acting or run with the narrative that PS is not a direct competitor to Nintendo Switch​

It isn't a direct competitor: one is a home console and the other one is a "hybrid" portable. They have different demographics with a small percentage userbase overlap (as I remember around 20%) and different gaming preferences regarding the game genres, type of games that sell better on each side.

Games for kids sell better on Switch, games for adults sell better on PS. The main sellers in Switch are basically Nintendo games (or similar) and Minecraft. The main sellers in PS are 3rd party, mostly GaaS, shooters and open world action adventures.

As I remember, the percentage of PS users who had it as main or only gaming platform was very big while the percentage of Switch users who had it as only or main gaming platform was very small (people primarly have it as secondary devices).

And well, both Nintendo and Sony are being more successful than ever: one being very successful isn't negatively affecting the other one.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
it's really not

The fun of console wars was only ever PS vs Xbox and Xbox is as good as dead now

Idc about Switch getting games or even PC TBH

I dont have a switch because handheld games on a small screen don't interest me and I don't have a PC because it's far too much annoying tinkering

From a business stand point we are moving into an era of maxing revenue generation. Im not expecting but wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo tested the waters on PC themselves - maybe a Splatoon or something