Can we talk about the lack of representation of playable straight women in games

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It's 2023, and straight women are still totally unrepresented in AAA games. I can't think of a single non-created playable female main character who has a prominent canon male love interest in any major modern game.

I'm honestly really tired of people saying "She needs to focus on saving the world, there's no time for romance!" or "I'm glad that not every story has to have a romance subplot!" Meanwhile, nobody thinks it's weird that male protagonists like Drake or Geralt get multiple well-written partners in their games. Nobody bats an eye or cries "unrealistic!" when lesbian love blooms in The Last of Us.

Indeed this definitely is a thing in modern gaming. If a female character is a the main protagonist of any given game & the player has no choice in the matter, the odds are that she will be bi, lesbian, asexual/ambiguous, etc. Very rarely will she be depicted as explicitly straight. This is something I have definitely noticed myself over the past decade. It's not an accident either. I believe there is a combination of factors for why developers do this & I have my theories. If i try to list every female protagonist ever I'll be here all day listing characters so I'm just going to stick with examples of recent memory that I recall.

○Life is Strange series (Each female protagonist is bi)

○Metroid - Samus Aran is Asexual

○Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning is Asexual

○Tom Raider (Lara is 100% asexual/ambiguous Comic book spin off writer openly expressed intention to make Lara a lesbian )

○Horizon Zero Dawn - Alloy (is a lesbian)

○Last Of Us - Elle the face of the series has been established as a lesbian

○Control - Jesse Faden is asexual/ambiguous

○Overwatch - Tracer = poster girl of the game & was announced to be a lesbian

○The Walking Dead- Clementine was made bisexual in her final game apparence

○Dishonored 2 - Emily is asexual/ambiguous or bi depending on who you ask

○Bayonetta - Ambiguous Flirtatious, sexually expressive personality but no specific interest in anyone

○Gears of War - Kait Diaz - Ambiguous relationship with JD in

○GOW 4 that was made less ambiguously platonic in

○GOW 5 when she became the main protagonist.

○Mirror's Edge - Faith Conners- Asexual/Ambiguous- Romantic & sexual inclinations never come up

○Forspoken - Frey is Asexual and possibly lesbian

This is definitely an established and not just people's imagination. The only question is why this is.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It's 2023, and straight women are still totally unrepresented in AAA games. I can't think of a single non-created playable female main character who has a prominent canon male love interest in any major modern game.

I'm honestly really tired of people saying "She needs to focus on saving the world, there's no time for romance!" or "I'm glad that not every story has to have a romance subplot!" Meanwhile, nobody thinks it's weird that male protagonists like Drake or Geralt get multiple well-written partners in their games. Nobody bats an eye or cries "unrealistic!" when lesbian love blooms in The Last of Us.

Indeed this definitely is a thing in modern gaming. If a female character is a the main protagonist of any given game & the player has no choice in the matter, the odds are that she will be bi, lesbian, asexual/ambiguous, etc. Very rarely will she be depicted as explicitly straight. This is something I have definitely noticed myself over the past decade. It's not an accident either. I believe there is a combination of factors for why developers do this & I have my theories. If i try to list every female protagonist ever I'll be here all day listing characters so I'm just going to stick with examples of recent memory that I recall.

○Life is Strange series (Each female protagonist is bi)

○Metroid - Samus Aran is Asexual

○Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning is Asexual

○Tom Raider (Lara is 100% asexual/ambiguous Comic book spin off writer openly expressed intention to make Lara a lesbian )

○Horizon Zero Dawn - Alloy (is a lesbian)

○Last Of Us - Elle the face of the series has been established as a lesbian

○Control - Jesse Faden is asexual/ambiguous

○The Walking Dead- Clementine was made bisexual in her final game apparence

○Dishonored 2 - Emily is asexual/ambiguous or bi depending on who you ask

○Bayonetta - Ambiguous Flirtatious, sexually expressive personality but no specific interest in anyone

○Gears of War - Kait Diaz - Ambiguous relationship with JD in

○GOW 4 that was made less ambiguously platonic in

○GOW 5 when she became the main protagonist.

○Mirror's Edge - Faith Conners- Asexual/Ambiguous- Romantic & sexual inclinations never come up

○Forspoken - Frey is Asexual and possibly lesbian

This is definitely an established and not just people's imagination. The only question is why this is.
Tifa is still available.

Tifa.Lockhart.600.3555632.jpg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume than more than being asexual, the devs don't mention the sexual preferences of these characters because they don't think it's important for the story of that game.

And well, not mentioning it I assume it avoids making some players feer uncomfortable with it because they'd prefer her to be something else.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
First world problems.
Who cares if the heroine loves XYZ?
As long the game is entertaining, it doesn’t bother me the heroine doesn’t love anyone.
I would recommend you if you care about that aspect to play romance/dating sim. There you will find plenty of straight women…

Reactions: Sircaw

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Nobody cares.

Actually, scratch that, some people obviously care else this thread wouldn't exist.

Only people that feel very insecure with their own sexuality give a fuck.

Reactions: Papacheeks
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
First world problems.
Who cares if the heroine loves XYZ?
As long the game is entertaining, it doesn’t bother me the heroine doesn’t love anyone.
I would recommend you if you care about that aspect to play romance/dating sim. There you will find plenty of straight women…

So if the Heroine loves Adolf Hitler you wouldn't care?

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Actually, scratch that, some people obviously care else this thread wouldn't exist.
That is where you are wrong. Nobody cares, not even the people that pretend they do, this is probably just an attempt to talk about something else (pretty easy to figure out what).

So if the Heroine loves Adolf Hitler you wouldn't care?
Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

This is what I'm talking about, pure nonsense.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I am curious about this bit

Does that game not have loads of female characters in it?

doing a quick google of how many female characters are in overwatch i get this

As of the end of 2022, Overwatch has the most even split between the genders: 17 males and 18 females

Some people like to have representation in their games, personally, i don't care about any of it at all, but i will say having 1 female queer character in a game like Overwatch does not seem like a lot to me, by all accounts it sounds like maybe they might need more.

I like the Lara Croft games for example, and i must admit, her being asexual is the last of my concerns or worries.

Reactions: laynelane and rofif

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I remembered a great time where character don't denounced who they prefered screwing in bed, probably in Western media ever.

Reactions: rofif

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The point is the player is supposed to be their love interest. That’s why they speak to themselves, it’s like they’re confiding in us. No one wants to see a female character get with another man, that’s kind of like getting cucked. I know this might sound a little crazy but it’s the true rationale behind these development choices. That’s why if they do end up in a relationship, it’s with another woman, since that doesn’t feel like you’re getting cucked as much.
And it’s why men get into relationships more often, most gamers aren’t gay so seeing Nate with Elena just makes us happy.

Also Emily from Dishonored 2 is straight, in the beginning of the game you can find love letters/ diary submissions about her boyfriend.