Can we talk about the lack of representation of playable straight women in games

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
you would smash it,

GIF by PBS
high quality GIF

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I assume than more than being asexual, the devs don't mention the sexual preferences of these characters because they don't think it's important for the story of that game.

And well, not mentioning it I assume it avoids making some players feer uncomfortable with it because they'd prefer her to be something else.
Jesse never sucks a dick in Control, so she must be asexual. I assume this of most women.

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
She's in love with a man and has fucked him previously, but she has muscular arms, so definitely on the asexuality spectrum.
The reception for that game would of been quite different if they kept her arms the same size as it use to be in the past lol

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It's 2023, and straight women are still totally unrepresented in AAA games. I can't think of a single non-created playable female main character who has a prominent canon male love interest in any major modern game.

I'm honestly really tired of people saying "She needs to focus on saving the world, there's no time for romance!" or "I'm glad that not every story has to have a romance subplot!" Meanwhile, nobody thinks it's weird that male protagonists like Drake or Geralt get multiple well-written partners in their games. Nobody bats an eye or cries "unrealistic!" when lesbian love blooms in The Last of Us.

Indeed this definitely is a thing in modern gaming. If a female character is a the main protagonist of any given game & the player has no choice in the matter, the odds are that she will be bi, lesbian, asexual/ambiguous, etc. Very rarely will she be depicted as explicitly straight. This is something I have definitely noticed myself over the past decade. It's not an accident either. I believe there is a combination of factors for why developers do this & I have my theories. If i try to list every female protagonist ever I'll be here all day listing characters so I'm just going to stick with examples of recent memory that I recall.

○Life is Strange series (Each female protagonist is bi)

○Metroid - Samus Aran is Asexual

○Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning is Asexual

○Tom Raider (Lara is 100% asexual/ambiguous Comic book spin off writer openly expressed intention to make Lara a lesbian )

○Horizon Zero Dawn - Alloy (is a lesbian)

○Last Of Us - Elle the face of the series has been established as a lesbian

○Control - Jesse Faden is asexual/ambiguous

○Overwatch - Tracer = poster girl of the game & was announced to be a lesbian

○The Walking Dead- Clementine was made bisexual in her final game apparence

○Dishonored 2 - Emily is asexual/ambiguous or bi depending on who you ask

○Bayonetta - Ambiguous Flirtatious, sexually expressive personality but no specific interest in anyone

○Gears of War - Kait Diaz - Ambiguous relationship with JD in

○GOW 4 that was made less ambiguously platonic in

○GOW 5 when she became the main protagonist.

○Mirror's Edge - Faith Conners- Asexual/Ambiguous- Romantic & sexual inclinations never come up

○Forspoken - Frey is Asexual and possibly lesbian

This is definitely an established and not just people's imagination. The only question is why this is.
I don't know why you'd mention life is strange that developer is woke AF so it's a given 🤣 (I like life is strange & before the storm)

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It's 2023, and straight women are still totally unrepresented in AAA games. I can't think of a single non-created playable female main character who has a prominent canon male love interest in any major modern game.

I'm honestly really tired of people saying "She needs to focus on saving the world, there's no time for romance!" or "I'm glad that not every story has to have a romance subplot!" Meanwhile, nobody thinks it's weird that male protagonists like Drake or Geralt get multiple well-written partners in their games. Nobody bats an eye or cries "unrealistic!" when lesbian love blooms in The Last of Us.

Indeed this definitely is a thing in modern gaming. If a female character is a the main protagonist of any given game & the player has no choice in the matter, the odds are that she will be bi, lesbian, asexual/ambiguous, etc. Very rarely will she be depicted as explicitly straight. This is something I have definitely noticed myself over the past decade. It's not an accident either. I believe there is a combination of factors for why developers do this & I have my theories. If i try to list every female protagonist ever I'll be here all day listing characters so I'm just going to stick with examples of recent memory that I recall.

○Life is Strange series (Each female protagonist is bi)

○Metroid - Samus Aran is Asexual

○Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning is Asexual

○Tom Raider (Lara is 100% asexual/ambiguous Comic book spin off writer openly expressed intention to make Lara a lesbian )

○Horizon Zero Dawn - Alloy (is a lesbian)

○Last Of Us - Elle the face of the series has been established as a lesbian

○Control - Jesse Faden is asexual/ambiguous

○Overwatch - Tracer = poster girl of the game & was announced to be a lesbian

○The Walking Dead- Clementine was made bisexual in her final game apparence

○Dishonored 2 - Emily is asexual/ambiguous or bi depending on who you ask

○Bayonetta - Ambiguous Flirtatious, sexually expressive personality but no specific interest in anyone

○Gears of War - Kait Diaz - Ambiguous relationship with JD in

○GOW 4 that was made less ambiguously platonic in

○GOW 5 when she became the main protagonist.

○Mirror's Edge - Faith Conners- Asexual/Ambiguous- Romantic & sexual inclinations never come up

○Forspoken - Frey is Asexual and possibly lesbian

This is definitely an established and not just people's imagination. The only question is why this is.
Horizon is the game that really pushes it although I love it I was thinking forbidden west there's alot if lesbians & the tribes aren't exactly accepting of different

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
First world problems.
Who cares if the heroine loves XYZ?
As long the game is entertaining, it doesn’t bother me the heroine doesn’t love anyone.
I would recommend you if you care about that aspect to play romance/dating sim. There you will find plenty of straight women…
That game was sexist af real piece of shit that guy is

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
The point is the player is supposed to be their love interest. That’s why they speak to themselves, it’s like they’re confiding in us. No one wants to see a female character get with another man, that’s kind of like getting cucked. I know this might sound a little crazy but it’s the true rationale behind these development choices. That’s why if they do end up in a relationship, it’s with another woman, since that doesn’t feel like you’re getting cucked as much.
And it’s why men get into relationships more often, most gamers aren’t gay so seeing Nate with Elena just makes us happy.

Also Emily from Dishonored 2 is straight, in the beginning of the game you can find love letters/ diary submissions about her boyfriend.
I agree with you I remember playing assassin's creed odyssey & choosing Cassandra because I prefer playing as a bad ass woman that I look at & whenever their was romance options I'd always have her pie the guys & get with the girls 🤣

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yes let's talk about it!

No, counter examples don't mean that there is no "lack" it just means they still exist.

Honestly why would I care?

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
There was alot of people saying alot was ugly but she definitely isn't she could be my ginger ninja any day 🤣
I don't get why people said she is ugly.
But I also dont understand how people can say Forspoken is a bad game.
So what do I know lol

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
There was alot of people saying alot was ugly but she definitely isn't she could be my ginger ninja any day 🤣
She was ugly, like I mean many female in western games nowadays are so ugly because some insecure ugly woman got offended by seeing so many pretty girls in games back in PS1-PS3 era 😂. And original Aloy face model actress actually pretty too, before they butchered her face in the game by making her fatter somehow just to meet ugly woman quota set by feminists 🤣. Thankfully, Japanese games still going strong with attractive and sexy girls, and one thumb up for Capcom too, because lately they modeled their female characters with real life models too, except they put an effort to keep them attractive, unlike western devs who bow down to feminist that hate pretty girls 🤣.

Reactions: Gamernyc78 and Box

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
Aloy looks like she smells bad and her skin is cold and clammy.
Anyway, these are my favourite straight women in videogames.