Capcom opens new Osaka support facility with 2 new mocap studios

24 Jun 2022
If Capcom dies then it dies, the talent will just go somewhere else. Sony should buy it or not if it makes sense to them not because Saudi Arabia wants to control it. Right now Sony should focus on defending their partners from MS.

I agree, and it sucks because I don't necessarily want to see mass consolidation happen in the industry. But, this is the reality that's coming to be, and you gotta work within the bounds of reality.

There are so many business arguments to be made that a publisher like Capcom makes sense for Sony but yeah, it all depends on if Sony actually see that or not.

Saudi Arabia will invest a further $37.8 billion in the games industry acquisitions, including around $13 billion to acquire “a leading game publisher”, according to state news.

It would be funny if they bought even more Nintendo shares, just to see how some people on ResetERA contort themselves to try explaining it away.

Because last time they all forgot that Nintendo's board members would have to know who the buyers are in order to approve the purchase of the shares. Meaning they knew it was Saudi Arabia buying those shares, but approved them anyway.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I agree, and it sucks because I don't necessarily want to see mass consolidation happen in the industry. But, this is the reality that's coming to be, and you gotta work within the bounds of reality.

There are so many business arguments to be made that a publisher like Capcom makes sense for Sony but yeah, it all depends on if Sony actually see that or not.

It would be funny if they bought even more Nintendo shares, just to see how some people on ResetERA contort themselves to try explaining it away.

Because last time they all forgot that Nintendo's board members would have to know who the buyers are in order to approve the purchase of the shares. Meaning they knew it was Saudi Arabia buying those shares, but approved them anyway.

Honestly Sony missed the boat along time ago.

These publishers were there for the taking a decade or so ago but arrogant Sony neglected the Playstation division even though it is one of the major revenue makers for Sony.

Square and Capcom could have been bought in the early 2000s.

Heck even Atlus and From Software for that matter.

Now you have Microsoft, Tencent and the Saudis gobbling all the major studios/publishers.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

These publishers were there for the taking a decade or so ago but arrogant Sony neglected the Playstation division even though it is one of the major revenue makers for Sony.

Now you have Microsoft, Tencent and the Saudis gobbling all the major studios/publishers.
Atlus and FromSoftware were dirt cheap after stuff like Persona 4 and Dark Souls were already out.

• sad
Reactions: Muddasar

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

I don’t think Capcom will sell to anyone any time soon. I only see Sony getting Square Enix at the moment, they are right now very affordable. It’s better buying them before they rise to $10B Company. Square Enix is a no brainer for Sony.

Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I don’t think Capcom will sell to anyone any time soon. I only see Sony getting Square Enix at the moment, they are right now very affordable. It’s better buying them before they rise to $10B Company. Square Enix is a no brainer for Sony.

Let’s hope so. For me personally Square and Capcom are the only publishers I truly care about.

Sony acquiring them would be the icing on the cake.

And they need to cause the competition aren’t gonna stop acquiring.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

To be fair, 10 years ago (before PS4) Sony was not doing well financially and it was in large part because of the gaming division. They didn't want to invest more there, they were closing stuff instead. Even From Software was too much for them.

Biggest mistake ever but too late now 🤷‍♂️

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Square and Capcom both kiss Sony's ass and are dependent on Playstation for the bulk of their revenue. No need to purchase them for billions of dollars when the status quo is working just fine.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Sony/Playstation built a lot of stuff in the 2000s/early 2010s. GoW, J&D, Sly, Uncharted, the Show, their racing series, LBP. I'd date studio purchases/partnership formations but I am on vacation and left my big chart at home.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If Capcom dies then it dies, the talent will just go somewhere else. Sony should buy it or not if it makes sense to them not because Saudi Arabia wants to control it. Right now Sony should focus on defending their partners from MS.
Capcom will only be sold if Capcom and its main Capcom shareholders want to sell.

Capcom and Sony share some key external shareholders, so they won't sell it by surprise to the saudis. Capcom is in a great finantial position and pattern so isn't a good moment to sell and I doubt they'd want to sell, and in case of selling the shareholders pretty likely would prefer to sell it to another company they already own.

It's also worth nothing that Capcom, the CEO and his family (some of them work in high positions at Capcom and even are board members) own over half of the Capcom shares. So they basically decide if to sell or not. And as happens with the Guillemot family in Ubisoft, Capcom is a family business so it's hard to see their CEO & founder and family selling it unless they'd need it (which doesn't seem to be the case). And if they'd want or need to sell -which again doesn't seem to be the case- I assume they'd like to sell to a Japanese company who also has been a very long term partner instead to some Saudis.

Also, Sony could be interested but may not have enough budget to buy Capcom this FY, even if really interested they could do something and acquire it getting money from outside this budget. Sony may also think that to acquire a big publisher coud give cause them issues with regulators maybe unless they do a Bungie and keep Capcom multi or simply may not be interested on acquiring big publishers.

In case of transactions, which I think may not happen, I think the most likely scenario is that Capcom won't sell but that maybe both Saudis and Sony could make a small investment on it without buying it. After that, the second most likely scenario -but very unlikely- would be- Sony buying Capcom. And then the most unlikely case would be that Capcom would be acquired by the Saudis.

Also, in case Capcom would be sold to someone who isn't Sony, Sony would prefer someone who isn't Nintendo or Microsoft, because that would mean they'd continue supporting PS.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom