Circana Hardware Sales for 2022 PS5-5660k NSW-5830k XBS-4480k

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Aren’t PS profits down in part because they’re financing the Bungie acquisition? I wonder how much they’ve paid so far.
Yes, costs related to the Bungie and more recent acquisitions are part of the cause they mentioned for decline in profits. There's also R&D and markteting of many accesories released who may also be impacted. There's also the investment development of 1st party, 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives and deals.

Sony bought Bungie for $2.4B, that was the price SIE paid when closed the transaction of the 100% of the Bungie shares from the Bungie workers. There are additional $1.2B split into different retention bonusese across multiple year and other acquisition related costs. That means certain key workers from Bungie get paid an extra bonus if they remain in the company for a certain period of time. Different workers may have different retention bonuses.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
That was not his own estimate. His own estimate put Xbox even higher, the PS5 a little higher but still third and below 2021/Xbox.

It's all wishful thinking. They were so sure the unprecedented manufactured FUD about the PS5 was successful. Xbox would start dominating and Sony would lose marketshare.
My prediction was that Xbox would produce/ship more units to the US in 2022 than PS5 and that both would still be supply constrained. I put both around 5M.

We literally saw this happen in the 2021 holiday and Q1 and Q2 2022. Microsoft delaying Starfield out of 2022 wasn't expected when that thread was made.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
My prediction was that Xbox would produce/ship more units to the US in 2022 than PS5 and that both would still be supply constrained. I put both around 5M.

We literally saw this happen in the 2021 holiday and Q1 and Q2 2022. Microsoft delaying Starfield out of 2022 wasn't expected when that thread was made.
Even if Starfield and Redfall launched last year and were great games, it STILL wouldn't have outsold PS5. Why would you ever think otherwise? Ragnarok, Horizon, and GT7 were all known releases last year....it was never going to win. Even with Redfall being a dud, HiFi Rush was amazing and made up for it, and Starfield is out in a few days, and it's STILL not close at all. Q4 is going to be even more of a bloodbath with Spider-Man 2 coming out. Just give up on this gen, Xbox is never going to catch up, Phil needs to go before you can expect Xbox to ever be relevant again.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
Even if Starfield and Redfall launched last year and were great games, it STILL wouldn't have outsold PS5. Why would you ever think otherwise? Ragnarok, Horizon, and GT7 were all known releases last year....it was never going to win. Even with Redfall being a dud, HiFi Rush was amazing and made up for it, and Starfield is out in a few days, and it's STILL not close at all. Q4 is going to be even more of a bloodbath with Spider-Man 2 coming out. Just give up on this gen, Xbox is never going to catch up, Phil needs to go before you can expect Xbox to ever be relevant again.
Learn to read please.

No one knew what how the supply constraints were going to go back in early 2022. Xbox had just shipped more units to the US than PS5 in holiday 2021. After I made my prediction which was based on both consoles still being in high demand and supply being unclear, Xbox then went and out shipped PS5 in the first half of 2022, and Xbox was still ahead at the end of Q3.

Any sane person making predictions back then was just predicting how many units could be shipped and produced.

Xbox not having a good first party game in 2022 and PlayStation having at least 3 throughout the year certainly changed things as well.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Learn to read please.

No one knew what how the supply constraints were going to go back in early 2022. Xbox had just shipped more units to the US than PS5 in holiday 2021. After I made my prediction which was based on both consoles still being in high demand and supply being unclear, Xbox then went and out shipped PS5 in the first half of 2022, and Xbox was still ahead at the end of Q3.

Any sane person making predictions back then was just predicting how many units could be shipped and produced.

Xbox not having a good first party game in 2022 and PlayStation having at least 3 throughout the year certainly changed things as well.
lol so they had 1 good month because of the Series S when Sony had supply constraints and you thought that would carry over to the entire next year? Even though Sony said supply issues were about to improve significantly? 😂 I thought you were an industry analyst....you should know this stuff.

24 Jun 2022
Learn to read please.

Actually it's much worst than that, because for 2023 Sony hasn't had anything in terms of 1P games that were new outside of Call of the Mountain, which is a PSVR2 game, and the annual MLB The Show release (which is multiplat). Burning Shores was expansion content.

Yet in spite of that, they're still having a very good 2023 hardware sales-wise and it's not like 3P exclusives are doing absolute gangbusters i.e FF XVI landing a bit softer than XV and VII Remake. Xbox has a really bad brand image problem globally and that encompasses everything surrounding the system, not just 1P games (or lack thereof, or lack of blockbuster 1P games).

It encapsulates 3P content association, marketing association, historical market relevance & performance, system name (the average consumer may see PlayStation 5 as a more confident name than Xbox Series X/Xbox Series S, which they may interpret as a rebranding for a failed product line in the past), etc. All of these things and more are areas Xbox as a brand lag behind PlayStation and Nintendo on (more or less).

If it were as simple as just getting more big 1P games on the system, we'd be seeing hardware sales improving leading into Starfield, not decreasing. And I do think Day 1 on PC for all Xbox 1P games hurts sales of the consoles in addition to limiting total division revenue (less 3P software sales, less 3P DLC & MTX IAP sales, less overall subscribers to Game Pass, etc.).

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Actually it's much worst than that, because for 2023 Sony hasn't had anything in terms of 1P games that were new outside of Call of the Mountain, which is a PSVR2 game, and the annual MLB The Show release (which is multiplat). Burning Shores was expansion content.

Yet in spite of that, they're still having a very good 2023 hardware sales-wise and it's not like 3P exclusives are doing absolute gangbusters i.e FF XVI landing a bit softer than XV and VII Remake. Xbox has a really bad brand image problem globally and that encompasses everything surrounding the system, not just 1P games (or lack thereof, or lack of blockbuster 1P games).

It encapsulates 3P content association, marketing association, historical market relevance & performance, system name (the average consumer may see PlayStation 5 as a more confident name than Xbox Series X/Xbox Series S, which they may interpret as a rebranding for a failed product line in the past), etc. All of these things and more are areas Xbox as a brand lag behind PlayStation and Nintendo on (more or less).

If it were as simple as just getting more big 1P games on the system, we'd be seeing hardware sales improving leading into Starfield, not decreasing. And I do think Day 1 on PC for all Xbox 1P games hurts sales of the consoles in addition to limiting total division revenue (less 3P software sales, less 3P DLC & MTX IAP sales, less overall subscribers to Game Pass, etc.).
How many game franchises can have a single game's exclusivity affect the momentum of console sales? Maybe GTA and that's it. Call of Duty is also possible depending on the release, although I think it would take several games in a row to really change the momentum since people could just continue playing the previous year's release.

• brain

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Ps5 doing pretty well for starfield release week on amazon. Releasing spiderman bundle in september was smart.

N5bVjP1.png

• fire