[Circana] June 2023 NPD, PS5 Top selling in both Unit and Dollar sales, Highest hardware sales since 2010, Diablo IV #1, FF XVI #2, SF 6 #3

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Xbox with Diablo and SF was still last place in units and dollars. :ROFLMAO:

PS5 owning the console market but all Sony cares about is pleasing PC players and moving into movies/mobile/GaaS. Shame...
They should absolutely focus on bringing their ips to TV and Film. You’re an idiot if you think they shouldn’t. Nintendo is also focusing on Films. Look at what tv did for TLOU IP. Spiderman just got back into the top 10 in sales because of Into the Spider Verse. Video games make more money than tv and films, but that’s because they’re more expensive and because of mobile. But Film and Tv has much bigger reach, and Sony should take advantage of that. Also Sony focusing on mobile would be smart. Most of the gaming revenue is generated because of mobile. MS is about to own King, and Nintendo has Pokémon Go and Mario Kart Tour. Sony should want to get a taste of the mobile pie.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They should absolutely focus on bringing their ips to TV and Film. You’re an idiot if you think they shouldn’t. Nintendo is also focusing on Films. Look at what tv did for TLOU IP. Spiderman just got back into the top 10 in sales because of Into the Spider Verse. Video games make more money than tv and films, but that’s because they’re more expensive. But Film and Tv has much bigger reach, and Sony should take advantage of that.
I rather watch good movies and series instead of video games adaptations, to each their own. I'm not against them but they should definitely not be the focus or take precedence over nurturing those IPs with console games.

We are about to enter year 4 of this gen and there is no sign of a new Uncharted game, instead we got some second grade movie with Mark Wahlberg and Tom Holland. No new TLoU just a remake to cash in into the series and a series that is fine but still worst than the games. The most exiting thing so far is the GT movie.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I rather watch good movies and series instead of video games adaptations, to each their own. I'm not against them but they should definitely not be the focus or take precedence over nurturing those IPs with console games.

We are about to enter year 4 of this gen and there is no sign of a new Uncharted game, instead we got some second grade movie with Mark Wahlberg and Tom Holland. No new TLoU just a remake to cash in into the series and a series that is fine but still worst than the games. The most exiting thing so far is the GT movie.

You complain about everything, holy shit.

Tv and Movies are the best thing sony had up its sleeve. Sony have a huge film division (which is something microsoft and nintendo don’t have) going to waste and a bunch of popular IP ripe for adaptations. It satisfies two needs and brings more popularity to their video games. I’ve already found myself itching for a new twisted metal, and before the tv show i really couldn’t care less about them bringing it back.

Mario movie had mario kart, 3d world, odyssey, etc. as the top selling nintendo games for months. Same with spider-man, its marketing that brings a shit ton of money and interest in for gaming. Spider-Man games are as big as they are because of how big Spider-Man’s media presence is outside of gaming.

I don’t even see how it can be argued. Film adaptations are what turn these games into mega franchises like pokemon, not just dropping a game and letting it rot after the first month on one platform. These brands deserve to be nurtured and grown so everyone can enjoy them and in turn brings more money into gaming.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Tv and Movies are the best thing sony had up its sleeve. Sony have a huge film division (which is something microsoft and nintendo don’t have) going to waste and a bunch of popular IP ripe for adaptations. It satisfies two needs and brings more popularity to their video games. I’ve already found myself itching for a new twisted metal, and before the tv show i really couldn’t care less about them bringing it back.

Mario movie had mario kart, 3d world, odyssey, etc. as the top selling nintendo games for months. Same with spider-man, its marketing that brings a shit ton of money and interest in for gaming. Spider-Man games are as big as they are because of how big Spider-Man’s media presence is outside of gaming.

I don’t even see how it can be argued. Film adaptations are what turn these games into mega franchises like pokemon, not just dropping a game and letting it rot after the first month on one platform. These brands deserve to be nurtured and grown so everyone can enjoy them and in turn brings more money into gaming.
You make excuses and act like a cheerleader for everything Sony does, holy shit.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Films and tv shows are fine as long as they're not distracting the studio

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
PS executives clearly have no clue on how to produce a successful console. Been getting by on luck and other company’s mistakes for 30 years. :ROFLMAO:
If you read some thread here you will lead to believe that PlayStation is being destroyed, Jumbo is the pure evil that come to annihilate PlayStation and PlayStation has no media engagement since 2019.

I just laugh when they realize PlayStation is probably bigger than ever before and that it will pass PS4 numbers in few years.

Reactions: gtjay1982

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I agree here.

TV Show and Movies (they are made by 3rd-parties btw) increases the talk, engagement and sales of the games.

TLOU today is a way bigger monster than it was before the TV Show.

That is another striker winner from Sony.
PlayStation is becoming so huge.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Few thoughts:
-I wonder if any other publishers will now be asking MS for a 20:80 split in revenue to make it worth it for them?
-Surprised RE4:remake isnt in the top 20.
-I dont think Starfield can turn this around and even if its the greatest game ever, they have nothing coming to keep up momentum.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA

People wanna complain about that Uncharted movie, but I know a good number of folks who actually wanted to check the games out after watching the movie, my own sister included. And she almost never plays games other than mobile.

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People wanna complain about that Uncharted movie, but I know a good number of folks who actually wanted to check the games out after watching the movie, my own sister included. And she almost never plays games other than mobile.

There was a point even up until last year where you couldn’t even discuss TLOU online because everyone swore the brand was ‘poisoned’ by Neil Cuckman destroying it with part 2. People even downplaying the sales of the series at one point.

Now you’d be hard pressed to deny its still one of the biggest IP sony have and that the next game in the franchise isn’t going to sell gangbusters once again. The show essentially rehabilitated TLOU’s reputation.

Once you take the conversation out of a loud minority of disgruntled gamer and console warriors hands, and inject a huge casual install base into it, you win. Thats why pokemon can do whatever they want, have gamers complain a bout the Pokédex or graphics, whatever and it still sells 12 million copies.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There was a point even up until last year where you couldn’t even discuss TLOU online because everyone swore the brand was ‘poisoned’ by Neil Cuckman destroying it with part 2. People even downplaying the sales of the series at one point.

Now you’d be hard pressed to deny its still one of the biggest IP sony have and that the next game in the franchise isn’t going to sell gangbusters once again. The show essentially rehabilitated TLOU’s reputation.

Once you take the conversation out of a loud minority of disgruntled gamer and console warriors hands, and inject a huge casual install base into it, you win. Thats why pokemon can do whatever they want, have gamers complain a bout the Pokédex or graphics, whatever and it still sells 12 million copies.
This forum is being very pessimistic lately even with Sony killing with PlayStation.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Mat is afraid to talk about FFXVI performance because he is not feeling solid about what he can talk.

He told he will wait the SE financials to have a better picture if they share something.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

Sometimes I agree with you and then sometimes you're just so off the mark lol. Playstation Productions doesn't overlap with the Playstation studios outside of the lead creatives on the IP's overseeing creative decisions and helping with castings. Sony is In a very unique position to leverage their IP's since they have all the resources already in-house to do so. They have all the industry connections to do. Even Nintendo was contemplating letting Colombia pictures handle the Mario movie at one point. It's a new reach for their IP's if executed properly.

Playstation Productions were the one who saved the Uncharted movie from a 10 year development hell. I don't think they could have cancelled it due to contracts in place, perhaps a reboot should have happened since the entire trilogy aspect is now fully fucked based on the set pieces they used.

But I'm sure we will see an Uncharted game eventually. This is where recruiting Amy hennigs new studio comes in handy.