CNBC: How Sony Beat Microsoft And Nintendo With PlayStation

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Ryan and Hulst giggling and bragging as if they had anything to do with the success of PlayStation! 🤦‍♂️ They took the last 25+ years of what worked great and flushed it all down the toilet to copy the last place losers 🤡

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Ryan and Hulst giggling and bragging as if they had anything to do with the success of PlayStation! 🤦‍♂️ They took the last 25+ years of what worked great and flushed it all down the toilet to copy the last place losers 🤡

maybe this whole playstation thing isn't for you?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
How Sony Beat Microsoft And Nintendo And PC* With PlayStation

Yep. Retreated from the console market and relegated to handhelds. They're doing fine over there.
Sony didn't beat Nintendo nor were they the reason they consolidated around portal. Sony is the reason Nintendo left the high end market after GameCube, but then the Wii happened.

The Wii U was Nintendo's self inflicted demise and that got the switch.

So did Nintendo really lose at the hands of Sony? I don't think so.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony didn't beat Nintendo nor were they the reason they consolidated around portal. Sony is the reason Nintendo left the high end market after GameCube, but then the Wii happened.

The Wii U was Nintendo's self inflicted demise and that got the switch.

So did Nintendo really lose at the hands of Sony? I don't think so.
PS1 and PS2 put so much pressure on Nintendo that they retreated from the high end market entirely with the Wii. They did have a misstep, or a miscalculation, with the WiiU, selling a paltry 10m there and 70(?) with the 3DS while PS4 sold 120m, putting even more pressure on. Nintendo went from 150m NDS and 100m Wii consoles to 80 the next gen to 140(?)m combined on the Switch, a dockable handheld.

They consolidated their development studios around 1 platform, no longer receive a 30% cut on most of the most popular third party games in existence, and *have to* innovate or reinvent the wheel each gen to survive. Playstation can just iterate.

So yes, they really did lose at the hands of Sony.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
PS1 and PS2 put so much pressure on Nintendo that they retreated from the high end market entirely with the Wii. They did have a misstep, or a miscalculation, with the WiiU, selling a paltry 10m there and 70(?) with the 3DS while PS4 sold 120m, putting even more pressure on. Nintendo went from 150m NDS and 100m Wii consoles to 80 the next gen to 140(?)m combined on the Switch, a dockable handheld.

They consolidated their development studios around 1 platform, no longer receive a 30% cut on most of the most popular third party games in existence, and *have to* innovate or reinvent the wheel each gen to survive. Playstation can just iterate.

So yes, they really did lose at the hands of Sony.
I mean this is basically a reiteration of mostly what I said? Sony wasn't the reason the Wii U Bombed and 3DS suffered because well the branding was also garbage and the price was a mess.

Wii U - 3DS ... Both fates sealed by terrible branding, had nothing to do with Sony.

The Switch was just the Wii U concept fine tuned.

Sony was the reason Nintendo changed course after GameCube. Nintendo was their own demise in the end.

We can agree to disagree but it's definitely not black and white as you want to to be.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I mean this is basically a reiteration of mostly what I said? Sony wasn't the reason the Wii U Bombed and 3DS suffered because well the branding was also garbage and the price was a mess.

Wii U - 3DS ... Both fates sealed by terrible branding, had nothing to do with Sony.

The Switch was just the Wii U concept fine tuned.

Sony was the reason Nintendo changed course after GameCube. Nintendo was their own demise in the end.

We can agree to disagree but it's definitely not black and white as you want to to be.
Pretty black and white. I know it's sensitive for some people especially the few of you who grew up with Nintendo, but they were relegated to a corner of the market by Sony. The instigating event was PlayStation, regardless of how many missteps they had afterwards.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Pretty black and white. I know it's sensitive for some people especially the few of you who grew up with Nintendo, but they were relegated to a corner of the market by Sony. The instigating event was PlayStation, regardless of how many missteps they had afterwards.
Do you know me? And yes that's rhetorical, because I know how some of you people are on this forum.

I didn't grow up with Nintendo, my first console was a PlayStation 1... next time don't make baseless assumptions.

You want to somehow claim Wii U Bombed because of PS4 the peak of delusion. The Wii U was bombing from January 2013 when sales dropped below that of the PS3... before the PS4 was even announced. Back then not even Sony expected the PS4 would go on to become so dominant... So we can scratch that argument.

Nintendo rebounded after GameCube and PlayStation stumbled and lost the sales war that generation.

Wii U Bombed for multitude of reasons and it was all Nintendo's doing.

The Switch was them learning where they went wrong and rectifying it to which they have once again won the sales war.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Do you know me? And yes that's rhetorical, because I know how some of you people are on this forum.

I didn't grow up with Nintendo, my first console was a PlayStation 1... next time don't make baseless assumptions.

You want to somehow claim Wii U Bombed because of PS4 the peak of delusion. The Wii U was bombing from January 2013 when sales dropped below that of the PS3... before the PS4 was even announced. Back then not even Sony expected the PS4 would go on to become so dominant... So we can scratch that argument.

Nintendo rebounded after GameCube and PlayStation stumbled and lost the sales war that generation.

Wii U Bombed for multitude of reasons and it was all Nintendo's doing.

The Switch was them learning where they went wrong and rectifying it to which they have once again won the sales war.
??? Switch is a handheld. Nintendo no longer competes in home consoles. There is no "sales war" between Sony and Nintendo. But Switch is beating the steam deck if you want something to wail on. There's no coming back from the fact that they peaked at 250m hardware units and are now at a fraction of that.

Anyway that's not a discussion worth having since it's settled history.

Xbox is the new victim, and Steam will be the next.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
??? Switch is a handheld. Nintendo no longer competes in home consoles. There is no "sales war" between Sony and Nintendo. But Switch is beating the steam deck if you want something to wail on. There's no coming back from the fact that they peaked at 250m hardware units and are now at a fraction of that.

Anyway that's not a discussion worth having since it's settled history.

Xbox is the new victim, and Steam will be the next.
Out of the 3 hardware makers they have won the sales war but even so that's not the Crux of the discussion.

Nintendo didn't lose to PlayStation, Xbox did.

That is all.

• Peachy
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Out of the 3 hardware makers they have won the sales war but even so that's not the Crux of the discussion.

Nintendo didn't lose to PlayStation, Xbox did.

That is all.
100->0 in the home console market. And this guy's talking about them winning.

How do you figure that?
About steam being next? That's the new battleground. Home consoles were conquered. Either that or portables/handhelds.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
100->0 in the home console market. And this guy's talking about them winning.

And so you want to remove them from the console market, sure. But it still doesn't change the fact it wasn't by the hands of Sony but by Nintendo's own doing.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Lol they mention that by 2025 50% of their investment will go into new ip. So when are we going to see this new ip exactly? 2025 is next year

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer