CNBC: How Sony Beat Microsoft And Nintendo With PlayStation

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
And so you want to remove them from the console market, sure. But it still doesn't change the fact it wasn't by the hands of Sony but by Nintendo's own doing.
It wasn't only nintendos own doing though that got them out of the home console market

They got beat quite bad during the 90s and early 2000s that they pivoted to the wii.

And that sent them on a journey of trying to figure out unsuccessfully what they wanted to do in home consoles.

While it's true that WII U was nintendos own doing, you don't just look at that in isolation you look at what sent them down that path, and sony absolutley played a hand in sending them down that failed path.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It wasn't only nintendos own doing though that got them out of the home console market

They got beat quite bad during the 90s and early 2000s that they pivoted to the wii.

And that sent them on a journey of trying to figure out unsuccessfully what they wanted to do in home consoles.

While it's true that WII U was nintendos own doing, you don't just look at that in isolation you look at what sent them down that path, and sony absolutley played a hand in sending them down that failed path.
And I covered all that you said. Yes, Sony made them bow out of the high end market and they went ahead and forged their own path and found success. But the Wii U was the catalyst and it wasn't by the hands of Sony.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
And I covered all that you said. Yes, Sony made them bow out of the high end market and they went ahead and forged their own path and found success. But the Wii U was the catalyst and it wasn't by he hands of Sony.
Wii U was the nail in the coffin, you can't just ignore what led them down that path.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
But did they really beat Nintendo? 🤔
Well PS1 beat out of crap of Nintendo 64.
Let’s not talk about GameCube.

Nintendo had a good gen with Wii but if you look at it even the worst PS (PS3) was very close to it in terms of sales… and Nintendo themselves couldn’t figure why Wii was successful and you can see that when they did not find a way to support it (it sells very fast to 100 million… the fastest console ever but stopped there) plus they tried to create Wii U as Wii with a screen on controller and Wii success were already dead… so Wii U was born dead too.

And now with Nintendo combining portable and console they had again a really amazing gen but I can’t say they beat PS5 with that… PS5 is doing amazing too.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Wii U was the nail in the coffin, you can't just ignore what led them down that path.
My comments are all in this thread this isn't a brand new discussion so I will not explain myself again. The 3DS also suffered and it wasn't because of anyone but Nintendo to the point they were toying with mobile. However the switch was a last ditch Hail Mary since both segments of their gaming brands floundered at the same time, again because of decisions they made.

Sony beat them with PS1 and especially with PS2... But that was it. Sony's actions sent them down a different path with the Wii, but what lead to them exiting the traditional console space isn't because of Sony.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My comments are all in this thread this isn't a brand new discussion so I will not explain myself again. The 3DS also suffered and it wasn't because of anyone but Nintendo to the point they were toying with mobile. However the switch was a last ditch Hail Mary since both segments of their gaming brands floundered at the same time, again because of decisions they made.

Sony beat them with PS1 and especially with PS2... But that was it. Sony's actions sent them down a different path with the Wii, but what lead to them exiting the traditional console space isn't because of Sony.
Switch is hard to compare imo.
Nintendo combined both console and portable market but…

Well Nintendo at some point had 150m of portable market and 100m of the console market at the same time.

So no matter how you look at Switch success that combination shrink Nintendo’s market.

Don’t take me wrong Switch sales are amazing but around PS3 gen Nintendo had a market share combined that could easy allow Switch to sell 200 million or more.

3DS and Wii U did shrink that market to these Switch 140-150m.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Sony beat them with PS1 and especially with PS2... But that was it. Sony's actions sent them down a different path but what lead to them exiting the traditional console space isn't because of Sony.
Point i'm trying to make is it played a huge part in them eventually exiting.

Do you thik if sony didn't beat them so bad with the ps1 and ps2 they would have made such a radical such a shift with Wii and Wii u?

You can't just ignore sony from the whole equation.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Well PS1 beat out of crap of Nintendo 64.
Let’s not talk about GameCube.

Nintendo had a good gen with Wii but if you look at it even the worst PS (PS3) was very close to it in terms of sales… and Nintendo themselves couldn’t figure why Wii was successful and you can see that when they did not find a way to support it (it sells very fast to 100 million… the fastest console ever but stopped there) plus they tried to create Wii U as Wii with a screen on controller and Wii success were already dead… so Wii U was born dead too.

And now with Nintendo combining portable and console they had again a really amazing gen but I can’t say they beat PS5 with that… PS5 is doing amazing too.
Situation with the Wii was they simply couldn't support the Wii properly as they were split between the DS as well. But yes the Wii U suffered because they simply misread the market along with terrible branding and everything. It was doomed the fail by just by name lol.

In the end the PS5 will not come close to the Switch sales, so small victories all around for both companies, but only one is current in slight decline.... Well until next year and we see if the Switch 2 can buck the curse.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Point i'm trying to make is it played a huge part in them eventually exiting.

Do you thik if sony didn't beat them so bad with the ps1 and ps2 they would have made such a radical such a shift with Wii and Wii u?

You can't just ignore sony from the whole equation.
You are asking me a hypothetical question that neither of us have the answer to and so I won't attempt to create an alternate timeline that doesn't exist.

And I have never omitted Sony from the whole equation stop trying to argue in bad faith, it's not a good look.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
@Danja1187 you seem like a bit of a lost cause. Events don't happen in isolation. The catalyst was losing to Sony for two gens straight and having to pivot to a blue ocean strategy, which simply had no staying power. To be accurate, you could say Nintendo lost to Sony and to mobile gaming. Either way, they lost and are no longer part of the console equation, just handhelds.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Switch is hard to compare imo.
Nintendo combined both console and portable market but…

Well Nintendo at some point had 150m of portable market and 100m of the console market at the same time.

So no matter how you look at Switch success that combination shrink Nintendo’s market.

Don’t take me wrong Switch sales are amazing but around PS3 gen Nintendo had a market share combined that could easy allow Switch to sell 200 million or more.

3DS and Wii U did shrink that market to these Switch 140-150m.
Except the Switch re-expanded Nintendo's market reach?

Wii U - 3DS - were less than 100 million. The Switch has the potential to dethrone the DS and PS2.

Nintendo never had a 200 million market share, there's a thing called overlapping owners. There was never just a singular Wii and DS owner lol

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
And I have never omitted Sony from the whole equation stop trying to argue in bad faith, it's not a good look.
Fine.

We include sony in contributing to nintendos exit from the home console market then cool.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Fine.

We include sony in contributing to nintendos exit from the home console market then cool.
Which I did... From the very first page. I simply said Sony was not the cause for Wii-U's failure but a self inflicted wound they simply didn't see themselves recovering from.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Except the Switch re-expanded Nintendo's market reach?

Wii U - 3DS - were less than 100 million. The Switch has the potential to dethrone the DS and PS2.

Nintendo never had a 200 million market share, there's a thing called overlapping owners. There was never just a singular Wii and DS owner lol
I doubt half of the Wii userbase was overlap.
That is why I said 200m and not 250m.

BTW most common user here in Brazil that had Wii never had a console or portable before.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I doubt half of the Wii userbase was overlap.
That is why I said 200m and not 250m.
Fair enough! Either way I think it's best we always look at that specific moment in time for games hardware sales as an anamoly, doubt we'll ever see a generation like that again.

Reactions: ethomaz

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nintendo is still hanging around the traditional console space. I would not be surprised if the Switch successor has a lot more going on when it comes to getting decent ports from third party games.

Sony is the one that seems to be putting themselves into a corner and taking their current audience for granted. The moment they decide to go all digital it will be very hard to make any argument in favor of playing on PlayStation instead of some sort of PC.

Current Sony leadership seems to dislike everything that got them to where they are, even AAA games are now at risk and being criticized for their budget. Nintendo on the other hand seem 100% committed to their own historically successful approach.

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nintendo is still hanging around the traditional console space. I would not be surprised if the Switch successor has a lot more going on when it comes to getting decent ports from third party games.

Unless they are hiding something it is supposed to be PS4 level HW. Pretty anemic. It will work for Nintendo games, smaller japanese games, indies and 8th gen games not released on Nintendo yet. Maybe enhance the ones that """"""ran""""" on the console like Doom or Witcher 3.

But I wouldn't count on the shiniest open world games running on it.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Unless they are hiding something it is supposed to be PS4 level HW. Pretty anemic. It will work for Nintendo games, smaller japanese games, indies and 8th gen games not released on Nintendo yet. Maybe enhance the ones that """"""ran""""" on the console like Doom or Witcher 3.

But I wouldn't count on the shiniest open world games running on it.
PS4 level hardware seems good enough when most games being released still look like PS4 games running at bigger resolution and with better frame rate.

Steam Deck is pretty weak yet does a decent job running the vast majority of games. Even GTAVI will still run on the garbage Series S hardware, depending on how powerful the Switch successor ends up being it could even get a port.

I have a PS5 but there is hardly any game that I couldn't picture running decently on the PS4 with the exception of something like R&C Rift Apart that has a very unique mechanic tied to the new hardware.

I'm yet to see a game that is in a different league compared to TLoU Part 2, RDR2, God of War Ragnarok and Horizon FW.

A lot of the raw power of this consoles is being used to run games in much higher resolutions and framerates, if Nintendo was smart about implementing NVidia solutions like DLSS and frame generation they could open up a whole new market for themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danja1187

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
they changed the title to "Can The Sony PlayStation Remain The Top-Selling Gaming Console?" 😂😂😂😂