CNET: PSSR works across the entire library without any game patches needed. PSSR is also coming to PSVR2 games in the future

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
An AI-assisted upscaling mode, called PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, works across the whole game library without any needed patch, adding in details to upscale to 4K. I didn't see this demonstrated, but the feature should help enhance older games if you have a 4K TV. It'll also work on PSVR 2 games in the future, too, Cerny said.

Azaan60

30 May 2024
Apparently fake news

Screenshot-20240911-021848-Chrome.jpg

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I hope we get more technical details on PSSR and its dedicated hardware block.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
CNET article wording makes it clear though “A souped-up GPU promises more ray-tracing and fluid 4K and 60-frames-per-second gaming across the board for games that get Pro upgraded, and automatic AI upscaling for the rest of the PlayStation library.”
They’ve interviewed Cerny himself and this article must’ve gone through edits and got approved, so it must be true.

24 Jun 2022
OK can we get a definitive answer on who TF is telling the truth here? Is it CNET or some random dev (not to belittle) on a forum? One or both of them need corroboration and the onus is on the dev given CNET is a well-known publication.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
This reminds me of the confusion surrounding backward compatibility after the “Road the PS5” presentation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
OK can we get a definitive answer on who TF is telling the truth here? Is it CNET or some random dev (not to belittle) on a forum? One or both of them need corroboration and the onus is on the dev given CNET is a well-known publication.
It is actually CNET vs Sony....

Sony's own video clearly says PSSR is available to games that got patched only.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
"Other enhancements include PS5 Pro Game Boost, which can apply to more than 8,500 backward compatible PS4 games playable on PS5 Pro. This feature may stabilize or improve the performance of supported PS4 and PS5 games. Enhanced Image Quality for PS4 games is also available to improve the resolution on select PS4 games."

This quote is on the PS Blog, is that any help?

Reactions: Entropi

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Apparently fake news
Screenshot-20240911-021848-Chrome.jpg
The CNET article says "and automatic AI upscaling for the rest of the PlayStation library", but I readed somewhere else that PSSR had to be implemented by the devs in PS5 Pro dedicated patches.

There's the PS5 Pro Game Boost mode (described in the PS blog as mentioned by Blaze above), which judging from that mode in previous machines increases fps in games with unlocked framerate but also in those capped to 30 or 60fps getting more steady fps or frame pacing. And for the games with dynamic resolution, helps to increase the native resolution too. Without using AI, just because of the extra horsepower.

I'd say it's just a mistake from CNET. The BC/unpatched games seems are benefited with Boost mode, but without using AI. Just because of extra raw horsepower. Unless Boost mode now also features AI upscaling (Sony didn't mentioned it, so I assume isn't the case), the AI upscaling would only be limited to games with a PS5 Pro patch.

Edit: CNET also mentions "An AI-assisted upscaling mode, called PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, works across the whole game library without any needed patch, adding in details to upscale to 4K. I didn't see this demonstrated, but the feature should help enhance older games if you have a 4K TV. It'll also work on PSVR 2 games in the future, too, Cerny said." and "TVs with variable refresh rates that can range from 40 to 120 fps are going to work with the PS5 Pro, Cerny adds, because games will automatically get frame rate improvements without an upgrade patch. But dedicated 120 fps modes will come too. Cerny said over 25% of PS5 owners own 120 fps-capable TVs, while around 1 in 10 PS5 players have variable refresh rate TVs. Gaming in 8K is a fun extra, but it's available to an even smaller subset of existing PS5 gamers, since 8K TVs are even less common".

So maybe the PS5 Pro boost mode has some option to upscale anything using the output image of any game instead of its native resolution. Less optimal but still would work.

Last edited: