Colin Moriarty says Sony should sell Bungie, PlayStation rethinking its Live Service strategy...

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Hot bum take.

Bungie is a hell of a studio for shooters and amongst the elite of this industry. Great FPS have always been a Sony weakness and portfolio hole. You do not give up your only ace after so long.

PC publishing policy most def needs a revision aka it needs to die. Strategic mistake to co-op and support PlayStation's most direct competitor going forward - aka PC, least of all Steam/Valve. With Xbox in decline, there is only one frontier standing, PC, and it's strong.

As for the GaaS push, only tone it down by about 30-40% of the budget allocation it was projected to take. 50/50 when your strengths and niche is elsewhere is completely dumb. 70-30 is nicer.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
As for the Live Games push they definitely bit off more than they could chew. An overreaction to a changing market and competitor who was trying to squeeze them out.

But again they wouldn't have been in this predicament if they weren't so shortsighted for the last 13+ years.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I sincerely hope they are moving away from the live service crap. They can have dedicated developers for this, not a problem, but don't stick your best studios working on kiddie shit
What best studios are doing kiddie sht? santa Monica is well into development on their next single player project, so is ND, insomniac, sucker punch, guerilla. Ppl really need to stop with this “ oh no Sony is forcing their best studios to make multiplayer games”. Every major os first studio has been funded and restructured to grow and work on multiple projects. New studios were bought specifically to work on multiplayer projects. Ppl continue to complain about Sony should do live service but I’m looking at ppls PlayStation wraps on Twitter and its full of nothing bet service games. Even hardcore ps gamers have cod, battlefield, fornite, apex etc as their top games and most hours played. Ppl can say what they want but Sony isn’t listening to that they have all your metrics and it’s showing the majority of gamers are putting more hours and more money into service games. I miss the era of good ps multiplayer games and a lot of those experiences were created by ps first party studios most ppl consider single player developers now. These studios are obviously have the talent and imagination to create good multiplayer again and I think the community is selling them short with all the second guessing. Let them cook.

• brain
Reactions: laynelane

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What best studios are doing kiddie sht? santa Monica is well into development on their next single player project, so is ND, insomniac, sucker punch, guerilla. Ppl really need to stop with this “ oh no Sony is forcing their best studios to make multiplayer games”. Every major os first studio has been funded and restructured to grow and work on multiple projects. New studios were bought specifically to work on multiplayer projects. Ppl continue to complain about Sony should do live service but I’m looking at ppls PlayStation wraps on Twitter and its full of nothing bet service games. Even hardcore ps gamers have cod, battlefield, fornite, apex etc as their top games and most hours played. Ppl can say what they want but Sony isn’t listening to that they have all your metrics and it’s showing the majority of gamers are putting more hours and more money into service games. I miss the era of good ps multiplayer games and a lot of those experiences were created by ps first party studios most ppl consider single player developers now. These studios are obviously have the talent and imagination to create good multiplayer again and I think the community is selling them short with all the second guessing. Let them cook.

I don't address questions made by undercover Sony employees, which are by definition shills.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sell Bungie and buy a mobile studio yes. Then they can meet their live service push and mobile at the same time.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The Bungie vitrol is so unwarranted. At least allow them to release their next IP's and see if they are worth it.
Not unwarranted at all, ever since they've joined the fray its been nothing but bad news from them. Not only is their own house in disarray, they've ruined development on Factions 2 for who knows what reason....

Even if Marathon and their other game ends up being very successful, what does that do for PS gamers? Nothing. Those games were going to release regardless except this time Sony's resources are being wasted on supporting Xbox and PC.... Sure Sony will make a lot of money from them if they're successful, but that only emboldens their awful decision to prioritize gaas over single player games and it pushes them harder towards their awful gaas direction.

24 Jun 2022
Bungie is the way they are currently because Sony have let them operate with sovereignty. If anything, getting more hands-on with them will help clean up the seemingly troubled upper-level management, and better to do that now than later.

As for the GaaS stuff....I'm not surprised if Sony are re-evaluating that. 12 games in 3 years of that ilk, some of which with a lot of surface similarities and in heavily saturated genre slices (sci-fi FPS for example) was always too bold too quickly. That number can come down considerably, those games can be more varied and explore spaces that aren't as saturated (that way they stand out in the market even more), etc.

I still expect most of the GaaS titles to be Day 1 console & PC...some might not, however.