Colin Moriarty says Sony should sell Bungie, PlayStation rethinking its Live Service strategy...

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I know everyone knows this, but the problem with "betting" on live service games, is that it's literally what you're doing. Getting one to take hold among a large group of users seems like a complete gamble. So throwing so much money and effort after the strategy (12 live service games??), again, feels like gambling. Make a bunch, and just hope a couple stick for that big money.

It just seems like a foolish way to run a business. Make the stuff you know your customers like, and keep getting better at that. Sure, trying to expand into new areas is fine, but ... seems like the way they went about it was too much. But hard to say from the outside looking in.
Throughout the PS2 and PS3 era, Playstation made lots of online fpses, Japanese RPGs, and mascot platform adventures. They were only really the HBO of single player games in the PS4 era. I like that era too, but Playstation was never one thing.

Reactions: Box

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Throughout the PS2 and PS3 era, Playstation made lots of online fpses, Japanese RPGs, and mascot platform adventures. They were only really the HBO of single player games in the PS4 era. I like that era too, but Playstation was never one thing.
They made some of the best online games of the PS3 generation. They gave up at the worst time.. so many of those games should have been remastered over to PS4.

I don't think I'm a ever forgive Naughty Dog for not remastering the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer... That was greatness.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They made many traditional multiplayer and had good live service with SOE. They dropped traditional multiplayer and sold SOE when market for GaaS had great potential and unsarurated market.
Now, they suddenly are going heavy on GaaS in an oversaturarted market. Buying Bungie was like fixing their mistake of selling SOE and catching up with a decently successful GaaS game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja1187

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They made many traditional multiplayer and had good live service with SOE. They dropped traditional multiplayer and sold SOE when market for GaaS had great potential and unsarurated market.
Now, they suddenly are going heavy on GaaS in an oversaturarted market. Buying Bungie was like fixing their mistake of selling SOE and catching up with a decently successful GaaS game.
Killing off all their multiplayer focused studios on the cousp of a new generation and financial Renaissance...

The only developer who even tried last gen was Naughty Dog with Uncharted 4 multiplayer... But that multiplayer was doomed from the start... Ironically what killed it off was them trying to make it into a Destiny clone 🤣

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
They made some of the best online games of the PS3 generation. They gave up at the worst time.. so many of those games should have been remastered over to PS4.

I don't think I'm a ever forgive Naughty Dog for not remastering the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer... That was greatness.
I'd be going into Insomniac's office like "Give me a new IP that's Sunset Overdrive plus Fuse"

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

From neogaf:​

LordCBH

"sell it to who? They’re going to keep it and hope they can turn it around after it gets fully absorbed by PlayStation and all the Bungie executives who have ruined thst company get axed sometime next year"

The best thing that could happen is sony takes full control IMO. Sony need an fps house, why sell?

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Why would you sell Bungie when you can just take over Bungie & fold them to PS studios. Selling Bungie would be a major PR disaster you would see headline “Sony looking to sell the Makers of Halo & Destiny after acquiring them just 1 year ago” yuh no I see Bungie independence being gone after the Final Shape DLC unles TFS is a massive hit I don’t see TFS carrying Bungie till Marathon release in 2025 which everyone will be playing GTA6 overall Bungie being folded into PS studios isn’t a bad idea & probably best for the studio, developers & franchise

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Of course not, but that's also why a lot of people aren't as happy with them these days. Their games do indeed have a lot of similarities.

It didn't used to be like that in previous generations. There was more variety, pure and simple.

That said, that has nothing to do with the economics of GaaS and how chasing those dollars in lieu of what made you successful is likely a losing bet (there's that word again). Now I know we've also seen the charts showing that the SaaS initiatives are meant to be purely additive, but so far this is feeling like a pretty dry generation. We are now in the fourth year of the PS5 ... and what are the games to look forward to? Where is the focus on what Playstation has historically been able to deliver?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The best thing that could happen is sony takes full control IMO. Sony need an fps house, why sell?
Sony already took full control the day they bought the 100% of Bungie. And they also bought Firewalk, mostly former Bungie employees who worked on the Halo games and Destiny 1. It would be stupid to sell them.

Why would you sell Bungie when you can just take over Bungie & fold them to PS studios.
There's absolutely no reason to sell Bungie. It's like to say that MS needs to sell Minecraft or CoD,, or that Nintendo has to sell Pokemon/their share on Pokemon Company. It's baseless and nonsensical.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
If this is the narrative people are going with, Sony is doing something right. They need to bring the hammer down on Bungie and get everything in order.

Reactions: Bryank75 and Dabaus

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
when ? was it in the recent podcast? and can you give me a timestamp please?
It was in his TGA Sacred Symbols. They are nice enough to timestamp their own show so it occurs 4 hours and 34 minutes into it (sweet Jesus...) and lasts approximately 30 minutes.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Nah, just have them build live games, leave the rest of the devs to do their thing. Sony needs something in the arena.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Why would you sell Bungie when you can just take over Bungie & fold them to PS studios. Selling Bungie would be a major PR disaster you would see headline “Sony looking to sell the Makers of Halo & Destiny after acquiring them just 1 year ago” yuh no I see Bungie independence being gone after the Final Shape DLC unles TFS is a massive hit I don’t see TFS carrying Bungie till Marathon release in 2025 which everyone will be playing GTA6 overall Bungie being folded into PS studios isn’t a bad idea & probably best for the studio, developers & franchise
Colon is kind of stupid. His co-hosts seem to have been hand-picked to make him seem smarter.

Putting Chris Raygun on a PlayStation podcast is, to use a phrase Colon uses when he’s being particularly dumb, an unforced error.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Bad news about ND also should Sony sell them? If Sony sold everything just because of a lil bad news they would have sold the entire PlayStation brand right now. Ppl are to reactionary and think short term.
Sell Druckman's ass to Sony Pictures and never fucking look back.

Let him fulfil Paul W. Anderson's Resident Evil movies/shows role for ND game IPs.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

They had their own football franchise (This is football 2005 was a great game)
Buzz was a massive success
Eye toy was as well
Singstar was huge in Australia