Colin Moriarty: There will be another PlayStation Showcase later this year

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Seems like the smart thing to do but there is a certain amount of distrust and lack of understanding between the PS fanbase and management, created from poor communication and marketing.

So I wonder if PS management will be able to read the room and understand what they need to do to respond to the poor reception of this showcase.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Seems like the smart thing to do but there is a certain amount of distrust and lack of understanding between the PS fanbase and management, created from poor communication and marketing.

So I wonder if PS management will be able to read the room and understand what they need to do to respond to the poor reception of this showcase.
Just a vocal minority especially on Twitter. Majority of the ps fan base aren’t on Twitter crying and getting out rage for clicks a views.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I've been watching LSM stuff recently and is it wrong that I sneer at his desire for games to be fucking easy. Like he's literally asking for journalism mode.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Just a vocal minority especially on Twitter. Majority of the ps fan base aren’t on Twitter crying and getting out rage for clicks a views.

Well, you certainly have a point there. I watched quite a few reactions and they all seemed really happy.

At the same time, I think they need to listen to the criticisms and just take it as constructive feedback. We all love PlayStation here (well, most of us)...

24 Jun 2022

That's the thing, though: the reception among the majority is very much positive. At least for the showcase and the majority of the games themselves. We gotta understand that we're ultimately enthusiasts, and while most enthusiasts are very important (especially in terms of ARPU value in the ecosystem), in pure number terms enthusiasts aren't the majority of PS owners.

However, the trailers for two of Sony's own GaaS titles (FairGame$, Concord) got very high dislikes, I'd say because they had no gameplay attached to them so they could just be confused with any other random GaaS title. Meanwhile Helldivers 2 trailer got barely any dislikes...coincidentally it had lots of gameplay.

So there are issues with the last showcase among both a segment of core PS fans, and larger mainstream audience. Those are two things, being the lack of new 1P AAA traditional game reveals (preferably with gameplay), and the second being announcing two GaaS titles with nothing but vague CGI trailers.

They'll need to address both of those if they're doing another showcase later in the year, alongside having a few more big 3P reveals (and a few 3P exclusives) announced. If they do that they'll wash away any disappointment from the previous Showcase.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
That's the thing, though: the reception among the majority is very much positive. At least for the showcase and the majority of the games themselves. We gotta understand that we're ultimately enthusiasts, and while most enthusiasts are very important (especially in terms of ARPU value in the ecosystem), in pure number terms enthusiasts aren't the majority of PS owners.

However, the trailers for two of Sony's own GaaS titles (FairGame$, Concord) got very high dislikes, I'd say because they had no gameplay attached to them so they could just be confused with any other random GaaS title. Meanwhile Helldivers 2 trailer got barely any dislikes...coincidentally it had lots of gameplay.

So there are issues with the last showcase among both a segment of core PS fans, and larger mainstream audience. Those are two things, being the lack of new 1P AAA traditional game reveals (preferably with gameplay), and the second being announcing two GaaS titles with nothing but vague CGI trailers.

They'll need to address both of those if they're doing another showcase later in the year, alongside having a few more big 3P reveals (and a few 3P exclusives) announced. If they do that they'll wash away any disappointment from the previous Showcase.

For me, if they had put gameplay in those trailers and removed a load of the 'filler' games, then I'd mostly have been happy. One single player new IP added in would have made it a very good showcase IMO.

Kusarigama

16 May 2023
For me, if they had put gameplay in those trailers and removed a load of the 'filler' games, then I'd mostly have been happy. One single player new IP added in would have made it a very good showcase IMO.
Couldn't agree with you more here. The big games were there but the trailers for them were so short. Instead of going for 33 games with a lot of forgettables(like Xbox did a few years ago where Phil bragged more than 50games multiple times), they could've done 20 with just 4 bigger trailers and it would have been a huge success.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Didn’t Colin predict there will be a new Rachet & Clank game, even before the PS5 released?
There could be an event but also not…
I think is dependent how events around Activision Blizzard will further develop.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
b5d

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
What time stamp?

All i see is green rats happily bragging about Sony's terrible show and Naughty Dog "mismanagement."

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Remove all CGI trailers for games nobody knows anything about. Show me a good 3 or 4 new AAA single player games that release in the next 3 years. I ain't even asking for much.

I still think the presentation to investor, combined with the lack of traditional game announcements is a massive red flag of thing to come. Everything makes sense now, Hermen sucks, he is Sony's Phil Spencer.

Reactions: Puff and Bryank75