Colin Moriarty: There will be another PlayStation Showcase later this year

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Colon Mediocrity doesn’t know shit.

He’s the moron’s thinking man and his whole existence is, to borrow a phrase from his own history, an unforced error.

28 May 2023
It's kinda obvious that they would at least do more state of plays throughout the year, but full blown shows? idk. creating new gameplay trailers (what fans have been asking for) takes at least between 4 to 6 months and doing this would also hit the actual game's development time, Even if it doesn't, we're still talking about more than a quarter of a year's time to create a new trailer. Unless they had some trailers ready (which I highly doubt it, since they have opted to show CGI which takes shorter time to create, with the exception of a few PC ports trailers) I don't think this hypothetical event would be held anytime soon.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Haven, firewalk, and bungie are first party now
Yes, but the only first party game shown was Spider-Man 2.

Haven, Firewalk and Bungie didn't show their games, only had a cg teaser announcement to let people know in what are they working on without showing their games.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You know what? I am in the process of buying a new house and moving into it, so whatever happens happens... I don't really have time to play much for the next few months.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's kinda obvious that they would at least do more state of plays throughout the year, but full blown shows? idk. creating new gameplay trailers (what fans have been asking for) takes at least between 4 to 6 months and doing this would also hit the actual game's development time, Even if it doesn't, we're still talking about more than a quarter of a year's time to create a new trailer. Unless they had some trailers ready (which I highly doubt it, since they have opted to show CGI which takes shorter time to create, with the exception of a few PC ports trailers) I don't think this hypothetical event would be held anytime soon.
Funny, when we used to get gameplay reveals we also got the games, now we don't get the gameplay nor the games... It doesn't add up...

It's almost as if the games aren't coming or being hidden to be revealed just before release like some are so sure of. :unsure:

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Couldn't agree with you more here. The big games were there but the trailers for them were so short. Instead of going for 33 games with a lot of forgettables(like Xbox did a few years ago where Phil bragged more than 50games multiple times), they could've done 20 with just 4 bigger trailers and it would have been a huge success.
Creating a vertical slice of gameplay takes resources away from completing the game. It can take months to create a proper gameplay trailer. Would u rather see a slice of gameplay that pushes a project back 3 months or see nothing and have the team totally devoted to completing the whole game so we get it sooner?

Reactions: Box

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
now that I know Sony's definition of a showcase is sometimes worse than state of plays, i don't even care about them anymore. Last time I ever watch those train wrecks live, I'll just wait for the trailers

Varteras

2 Jun 2023
now that I know Sony's definition of a showcase is sometimes worse than state of plays, i don't even care about them anymore. Last time I ever watch those train wrecks live, I'll just wait for the trailers

Oh come on now. That's quite an overreaction. Sony normally puts on a hell of a show. It's one of the reasons so many people looked forward to it. I don't think one lacking showcase should be the reason to be so dismissive. I mean, you do you. But I don't think it's healthy to be so cynical so easily. If you can forgive my saying so. I'm sure they'll take the feedback from this into consideration for whenever their next show is. Now, if they botch the next one, I'll sit next to you and grumble over some whiskey.

Kusarigama

16 May 2023
Creating a vertical slice of gameplay takes resources away from completing the game. It can take months to create a proper gameplay trailer. Would u rather see a slice of gameplay that pushes a project back 3 months or see nothing and have the team totally devoted to completing the whole game so we get it sooner?
The game comes out this year, they don't have to do vertical slice(mainly used for pitching) for it. Just polish a 5-7min gameplay segment. Heck even a good 3 min trailer with slow walking would do.

If you are making a game, it is part of your job to also genuinely hype it up. You can't say, I'm gonna make the best game in the world but I won't show it to anyone, also you have to buy it just on my word. You have to present the game properly.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
The game comes out this year, they don't have to do vertical slice(mainly used for pitching) for it. Just polish a 5-7min gameplay segment. Heck even a good 3 min trailer with slow walking would do.

If you are making a game, it is part of your job to also genuinely hype it up. You can't say, I'm gonna make the best game in the world but I won't show it to anyone, also you have to buy it just on my word. You have to present the game properly.
that’s what marketing teams and social media accounts are far. The marketing cycle for spider wil probably start in august which I’m fine with I hate seeing too much about a game before it launches. FF16 I think showed way too much. I like what sony did with gowr a teaser and 2 trailers to avoid spoilers.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think you're confusing a trailer for a demo. For a trailer all you have to do is clip together gameplay with bugs/framerate issues adjusted to be like the release target.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I think you're confusing a trailer for a demo. For a trailer all you have to do is clip together gameplay with bugs/framerate issues adjusted to be like the release target.
And even then, trailers usually are outsourced.

Relaxedsun

27 May 2023
Senior Reporter at @Kotaku

snoop-dogg-who.gif

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Why is the thread so full of negativity? Most normies thought the showcase was good, look at the hype around the Spiderman trailer which got 20 million views.

The people here feel like old men yelling at clouds

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Why is the thread so full of negativity? Most normies thought the showcase was good, look at the hype around the Spiderman trailer which got 20 million views.

The normies may have liked it but were not normies. We are much more hardcore so our expectations are different from the average person.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

Be careful, some people are adamant that this was the end of Sony.

Reactions: Box

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Whatever man, I only believe good Sony showcase will happen once ABK deal is totally dead, so Jim Ryan can stop being coward and blast all of them PS5 console exclusives again after intentionally removed them from last showcase to avoid being investigated by US(lobbied by MS) LOL.