Colin Moriarty: There will be another PlayStation Showcase later this year

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Remove all CGI trailers for games nobody knows anything about. Show me a good 3 or 4 new AAA single player games that release in the next 3 years. I ain't even asking for much.

I still think the presentation to investor, combined with the lack of traditional game announcements is a massive red flag of thing to come. Everything makes sense now, Hermen sucks, he is Sony's Phil Spencer.
That is actually asking a ton. You want them to destroy years of reveals and hype for you to be happy right now. They have two big games for this year, FFXVI and Spiderman and they gave you both. You'll get next year's games next year.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There's an interesting dynamic to how we perceive "leakers". I'm not saying Colin or whatever is legit, and I honestly don't give a fuck if they are or not, but here's an interesting thing that happened in the marvel world.

At some point in 2021 or maybe early 2022 appeared one leaker named "mytimetoshinehello". They started leaking a bunch of shit related to several movies, from multiverse of madness to no way home. When the movies came out, a lot of the leaks were wrong.

Now here's the thing, when behind the scenes stuff came to light, including concept art and even deleted scenes, the leaks checked out.

What I mean by this is that just because someone leaks something and it doesn't happen, it doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong, it just means that they had outdated information. Things change, and depending on when and where the information comes from, it may be off.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
There is an even more interesting dynamic at play. I see a lot fans of the brand ready to bury their anxiety if Sony were to, say, give them a PlayStation Experience at the end of the year. Same MO that herded Xbox fanboys... it's very cynical.

So the question becomes: is your problem with the PS showcase a culmination of frustration at SIE leadership decisions and the plan for the brand? That is - the significant and moderate increase and shift in direction in the allocation of money and development resources into GAAS games vs. the rest of all game genres and models? Moreover the burden of PC porting, the shift in philosophy and resource allocation during development as well as the devaluation of the games and brand?

OR is your problem with this showcase just the fact that all Sony has to do to please you is handle consumer facing marketing well, in this case, throw you some bones and release a couple of trailers of say: Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2 or TLOU 3 or Corey's new IP? And if SIE does this very thing then for you, everything will go back to how it was prior to this showcase?

If you're ready to forgive and forget if Sony just puts a flashy show that appeals strictly to your tastes with a couple trailers then may as well just put a sticker on your head that says "I'm a helpless fanboy" "Yes I literally can't help it - I love this brand". None of that is gonna make the GAAS push go away or the PC ports direction.. it will continue to slowly poison and gain ground.... the only difference may be that you may not notice it by a better marketing effort to hide it from the vocal fans. Eventually however the need to market GAAS titles and the PC ports will come full bloom - you can't hide it forever, and SIE leadership will stand up for their vision - whether it ends up in failure, mostly failure, pyrrhic success or complete success.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Gaming seems to be more about watching "showcases" than actually releasing games, I'm tired of it at this point.

D

Deleted member 417

There is an even more interesting dynamic at play. I see a lot fans of the brand ready to bury their anxiety if Sony were to say, give them a PlayStation Experience at the end of the year.

So the question becomes: is your problem with the leadership the increase and shift in direction in the allocation of money and development resources into GAAS games vs. the rest of all game genres and models as well as the burden of PC porting, development, and devaluation of the brand OR is your problem just the fact that all Sony has to do to please you is release a couple of trailers of say Death Stranding 2 and Ghost of Tsushima 2 or TLOU 3?

If you're ready to forgive and forget if Sony just puts a flashy show that appeals strictly to your tastes then may as well put a sticker on your head that says "I'm a helpess fanboy" "Yes I literally can't help it - I love this brand".
If 100% of airtime is showing GaaS (for talks sake) then that gives the perception that Sony are going in one direction.

If a second showcase has 100% of the airtime focusing on Single-player games, then that gives the perception that Sony are attempting to branch out.

I wouldn't be happy with a 50/50 split between GaaS and single player, but I would be more happy than if it was just 100% GaaS.

So while a second showcase can't certainly alleviate fears that Sony has lost the way, it does numb the pain a little bit.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I’m going to go on a limb and say this show case seemed rushed and all over the place was because it was. Investors wanted a proof of concept for all these studios Sony is buying and want proof that they can deliver on their gaas games, hence why besides insomniac, that’s all we saw from. I’m not making excuses for Sony but I don’t think this was the show they at PlayStation wanted to really give but had to continue to get funding and maybe even prove they can be trusted with more, larger acquisitions and investments. That’s my spin anyways lol.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I would be great, but I think it won't happen and instead we'll get a few normal State of Plays as usual.

I'd suggest you to don't believe these 'insiders' who overhype you with unrealistic expectations to later get you dissapointed when the things they tell don't happen.

If 100% of airtime is showing GaaS (for talks sake) then that gives the perception that Sony are going in one direction.

If a second showcase has 100% of the airtime focusing on Single-player games, then that gives the perception that Sony are attempting to branch out.

I wouldn't be happy with a 50/50 split between GaaS and single player, but I would be more happy than if it was just 100% GaaS.

So while a second showcase can't certainly alleviate fears that Sony has lost the way, it does numb the pain a little bit.
Most of the games shown in the past showcase weren't GaaS.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Unacceptable for them not to now

Hopefully they've heard the noise and told their first parties to get some shit ready for September

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I would be great, but I think it won't happen and instead we'll get a few normal State of Plays as usual.

I'd suggest you to don't believe these 'insiders' who overhype you with unrealistic expectations to later get you dissapointed when the things they tell don't happen.

Most of the games shown in the past showcase weren't GaaS.
every new first party game at the showcase was in fact a generic looking GaaS.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
every new first party game at the showcase was in fact a generic looking GaaS.
The only first party game they shown wasn't a GaaS. You can't know if the new first party ones will be generic or not because they didn't show them, only had a cg teaser.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Take out the focus on the word generic and it's still just GAAS. Why be intellectually dishonest with nongkris to try to drag him through nonsense replies in a back n forth? Serial BSer in this regard. What a waste of time. Not to mention the obvious lies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

Is the problem to you a percerption management problem (famous words from Phil Spencer) or an actual factual problem with the GAAS push that exists?

Is the solution to this perception issue the need to create the false perception that this push does not exist and isn't happening and hasn't already being decided to the tune of billions of dollars in development resource allocation (a finite, opportunity cost bearing expense)?

Is the problem, to speak in layman terms, the need to create a most perfect lie?

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
We couldn't go a week without the endless rumors of an upcoming showcase.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Take out the focus on the word generic and it's still just GAAS. Why be intellectually dishonest with nongkris to try to drag him through nonsense replies in a back n forth? Serial BSer in this regard. What a waste of time. Not to mention the obvious lies.
The GaaS push by itself is already terrible, it's a completely unnatural shift for a publisher that was doing great while most other were struggling.

Hoping to recreate a Fortnite like success show little understanding of the gaming market.

Fairgame$... the name alone says it all. Who think this shit is cool?

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The only first party game they shown wasn't a GaaS. You can't know if the new first party ones will be generic or not because they didn't show them, only had a cg teaser.
Haven, firewalk, and bungie are first party now

Reactions: nongkris
D

Deleted member 417

Is the problem to you a percerption management problem (famous words from Phil Spencer) or an actual factual problem with the GAAS push that exists?

Is the solution to this perception issue the need to create the false perception that this push does not exist and isn't happening and hasn't already being decided to the tune of billions of dollars in development resource allocation (a finite, opportunity cost bearing expense)?

Is the problem, to speak in layman terms, the need to create a most perfect lie?
The problem is GaaS. Any GaaS, any MTX, any day-one dlc, any push for greed and monetisation over the art.

I remember when games were sold as whole experiences, complete, challenging and fun. I knownit has been over a 2 decades since that was the normal way of life in gaming but any movement away from that norm pisses me off.

While Sony single player games aren't perfect, they're a damned sight better than the other dross in the industry. If Sony are now packing up shop on single player games just to chase the sleezey GaaS and MTX then they can go fuck themselves.

I have no interest in any of those games or ideas and will not support any company that does. My spend has gone from £1000s a year in the 360 era - not including hardware, to less than £100. I haven't even bought a next gen console yet because there's little to no point in shelling out so much money to play so little.

• brain