Colin Moriarty: There will be another PlayStation Showcase later this year

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Why is the thread so full of negativity? Most normies thought the showcase was good, look at the hype around the Spiderman trailer which got 20 million views.

The people here feel like old men yelling at clouds
Because it's good State of Play, and a bad showcase LOL. And too many indies no one cared about.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Didn’t Colin predict there will be a new Rachet & Clank game, even before the PS5 released?
There could be an event but also not…
I think is dependent how events around Activision Blizzard will further develop.
I also predict there will be new Mario, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Zelda and Metroid for the Switch successor. It's just common sense.

Will Sony have more streams this year? Sure, in recent years they made many of them every year but almost always calling them State of Play. Make sure that Sony will have more streams this year, but I think they won't call them PlayStation Showcase.

I think they'll call them State of Play.

So I wonder if PS management will be able to read the room and understand what they need to do to respond to the poor reception of this showcase.
They'll see it's the most viewed PS Showcase/State of Play ever after the console reveal ones. In youtube the English version has combining with and without subtitles versions 6M views so far and 27.8K dislikes (tiny percent but slightly higher than usual for highly viewed videos).

The Marathon trailer already has 19M views (2.5K dislikes). Regarding game trailers, the PS channel only has a couple GoW 2018 trailers, a couple Spider-Man trailers, the Howgarts Legacy one and a Spider-Man 2 trailer above that. The Spider-Man 2 gameplay reveal trailer has 12M views (8.8K dislikes) in the PS channel + 12M views more in the Marvel channel.

Fairgame$ 167K views, 3.1K likes and 13K dislikes. At a lower scale, in IGN and Gamespot channels also has that negative feedback. Concord 133K views, 2.4K likes 4.1K dislikes.

So there's something wrong with Fairgame$ and Concord: by looking at the comments, which are negative but not as much as the like/dislike rations, the most frequent complain is announcing the games with CG teaser instead of showing gameplay, and in the case of Fairgame$ that it looks too generic/similar to other games (Watchdogs, The Finals, Payday, Hyenas) regarding game concept or artstyle. Less frequently there's also criticism to them being PvP only even if some other claim they like them to be PvP.

Helldivers 2 is a weird case because it has more views in IGN, 699K (26K likes, 471 dislike) than in the PS channel: 320K (11K likes, 478 dislikes). Most other main announcements and trailers from the show also have good viewship and like/dislike ration.

So after a quick youtube review I assume the main lessons they took are:
  • Record viewship for the event and very good feeback but not as good as usual
  • Record viewship and feedback for the Marathon teaser, great for Spider-Man 2 and good enough for Helldivers 2
  • Fairgame$ and Concord got very bad viewship and feedback, main criticism being not showing gameplay in the announcement, lack of uniqueness and being PvP. Marathon didn't get that much criticism for these topics maybe because it's an existing IP from a very popular and well know studio, and maybe because its artstyle was more appealing.
In the case of a big publisher they make a way, way more detailed analysis taking note of everything said in the gaming media reactions, in the comments of the video and the gaming media websites, main forums and social media.

In the case of Fairgame$ and Concord they'd go more in-depth to detect everything people liked and disliked to see how they can fix it both for future trailers of these games and also for future game announcements. Depending on how important they thought the backlash is, they may have considered to change these or other similar games, as an example ensuring they have SP content, at least some short campaign, that future games get announced showing gameplay and that in terms of game concept and artstyle are a bit more unique and cool.

Last edited: