Collin Moriarty says Sony will face consequences for purchasing studios without working with them previously

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
long term investment that in 2 years is falling apart, if Marathon flops, Bungie will be reduced to 200/300 employees max and will only work on Destiny for eternity
It's not. You create a false narrative in your head because you want to believe it.

Bungie has gone from a one game studio and will be responsible for Destiny, Marathon, and Gummy Bears in the next few years. GAAS is growing.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
The reason why I said that is because you brought up Concord as proof that GAAS is failing. It was a silly comment that needed to be corrected and I did so with aplomb.

GAAS is a higher risk, higher reward endeavor. I've always maintained this position. That means you're going to see more failure in the GAAS space.

However, this video will enlighten your view somewhat. I hope it helps you understand where gaming is headed...

I want you to pay attention to the rise in popularity of GAAS over that 10 year stretch.
you just proved my point, the most played GAAs games are older titles for almost a decade now

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I mean hey, Sony bought Guerilla Games on the promise of good tech and now Guerrilla Games is easily the most important Sony studio when it comes to the progression of PlayStation Studios and it's partners tech-wize.

Imagine if they never had faith in Naughty Dog after seeing "Way of The Warrior"

It's clear Sony saw the talent at a studio like FireWalk and bought them. They made a very good game but just read the market wrong with their aesthetic and social approach unfortunately.

That's one thing I appreciate about PlayStation, their commitment to giving new studios a chance and expanding the industry
yep, amazing people at Sony back then, doesn't equate to Hermen Hulst and modern PlayStation tho, dumb decisions after dumb decisions.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
That's incorrect. Look at how many new, hugely successful games popped up in that 10 year stretch.
these 10 years were the time where these GAAs games should've been created, today, in the 2020s decade, is very rare for a new IP GAAs game to succeed, it happens ocasionally, but the chances are way, WAY lower than past decade, Fortnite, Minecraft, COD, GTA Online, all games that are over 10 years old at this point or almost 10 years old.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
these 10 years were the time where these GAAs games should've been created, today, in the 2020s decade, is very rare for a new IP GAAs game to succeed, it happens ocasionally, but the chances are way, WAY lower than past decade, Fortnite, Minecraft, COD, GTA Online, all games that are over 10 years old at this point or almost 10 years old.

Some new gaas games do well and some dont. Just like SP games.
Also alot of hardcore fanbases, whenever something new comes they shit on it

Sony should of gone all on Spiderverse ( after Spiderman 3) and Factions. 2 popular IP’s, have television and movie presence. Games with proven popularity.
They have enough money to make it all happen, they just stingy

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024

One thing your preachers never asked you about is the hit rate of GAAS today, compared to 5 years ago, and 10 years ago.

You don't have any numbers or statistics based on success rates. You only collect a small handful of failures to spread a faulty narrative that GAAS is somehow a saturated market. We can see in the Steamcharts video that it is clearly not.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
but you won't come here and drop examples without looking at full context, singleplayer studios don't equate to live service ones and no matter how much you try to twist it, the reality remains one: Guerrilla became a tentpole studio, Firewalk delivered the biggest commercial and critical failure of PlayStation's Studios history.

Of course i won't. Because you literally said in OP.

anyone with 2 brain cells agrees that Sony should never purchase studios before actually releasing games and seeing the results of the games these studios are working, right?

So, just devs who worked and didn’t worked for Sony before acquisition. Since you now trying to separate who made what, Media Molecule released GAAS from the very beginning. And it is still alive

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
In fairness to Colin, he expressed trepidation when the studios were first acquired, while everyone was blinded by the delusion they’d be getting PlayStation’s take on Halo.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
In fairness to Colin, he expressed trepidation when the studios were first acquired, while everyone was blinded by the delusion they’d be getting PlayStation’s take on Halo.
Colin's trepidation was GAAS fear mongering. He has always been oblivious to how much GAAS has grown in the last 10 years, often spouting the saturated narrative. Multiplayer has been his blind spot forever. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: BroodCorp

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Colin always hated the Bungie purchase and is preemptively declaring victory before they even released a game. Firewalk isn't giving Sony undue guff either, they were just following the prompt Sony gave them.

You could easily say that Bend and London have been bigger problems recently but he omits them because they are evidence that doesn't fit the conclusion.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Taking Remedy and wasting them on some dogshit brain dead marvel garbage…. Lols

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I agree and disagree with Colin.

I agree in regards to there being a far greater chance at success when working with a development studio on multiple good games before acquiring them but at the same time, if a development studio can be acquired on the cheap, you do it because the potential gain outweighs the risk. I can't imagine Firewalk being all that expensive to acquire so even having Concord bomb, I personally don't see it as a big deal or issue especially when it's their first game as a studio. Now, if Bungie's Marathon bombs like Concord then it's a different conversation because they cost $3.6B to acquire and have been developing games for over 20 years.

All depends on the context and whatnot surrounding the studio and the game. Back to Firewalk, if the sales of 25K is actually factual, then if it was up to me, I would just end the game, refund everyone who bought it and turn Firewalk into a support studio which would make them worth more in the long term because they can help the top tier studios get their games done and out the door sooner rather than later.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Colin's trepidation was GAAS fear mongering. He has always been oblivious to how much GAAS has grown in the last 10 years, often spouting the saturated narrative. Multiplayer has been his blind spot forever. Nothing has changed.
How many gaas game has been sucesfull this year besides helldivers 2 and even now the game already lost alot of playerbase within less then a year

For 10 gaas game only about 1 or 2 works

People dont have all the time to play every gaas game its a very time consuming game

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How many gaas game has been sucesfull this year besides helldivers 2 and even now the game already lost alot of playerbase within less then a year

People dont have all the time to play every gaas game its a very time consuming game

Helldivers has made its money, it doesnt need those Steam numbers to show whats happening.

Thats how some people just play. 1 gaas.
I know someone on my list who have been playing FF14 since 2013 and its all they play lol

Reactions: Airbus

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
anyone with 2 brain cells agrees that Sony should never purchase studios before actually releasing games and seeing the results of the games these studios are working, right?

This is bullshit, didn't purchase studios that haven't released games. All the acquired studios are very experienced, and even working with Sony

Sony made many games with Bluepoint, Insomniac or Housemarque before acquiring them. Same goes with Firesprite, who are basically Liverpool Studio + Evolution + Bizarre Creations + Supermassive and even worked as Firesprite with multiple Sony projects before acquisition.

Sony has been the publisher of Destiny 1 and 2 in Japan and had the marketing+bundles+betas+etc deal with them. So they have been working with Bungie (that includes Firewalk, who basically are ex-Bungie with some ex-CoD devs) for a while.

The Haven folks are ex-EA and specially Ubisoft, who already partnered with Sony in these same marketing deals in many of the top hits they worked on in series like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, For Honor, Far Cry etc. Some of which, like Destiny, were back then record breaking AAA new IPs.

Lasengle is the dev of a Sony mobile game that generated over $7B in revenue.

Valkyrie is a support team who had a long history of working in Sony games before its acquisition, they worked in series like GoW, Infamous, Twisted Metal. More recently they also worked in Concord.

Nixxes was bought because they're the best console to PC porters in the market, and worked as support team in Killzone Shadow Fall.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I may forget many, but as I remember:
  • Palworld
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB
  • Destiny 2 The Final Shape
  • ZZZ
  • First Descendant
  • Deadlock
  • And in the next month or so EA FC25, NBA2K25, CoD
The success rate (success doesn't mean to be the next Fortnite, in most cases just means being profitable) is pretty much the same than in non-GaaS titles.

In fact, pretty likely it's lower because to make a GaaS you need a somewhat big company, while there are over a dozen thousand indies releasing non-GaaS games in Steam, PS or Switch that nobody plays.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
This is bullshit, didn't purchase studios that haven't released games. All the acquired studios are very experienced, and even working with Sony

Sony made many games with Bluepoint, Insomniac or Housemarque before acquiring them. Same goes with Firesprite, who are basically Liverpool Studio + Evolution + Bizarre Creations + Supermassive and even worked as Firesprite with multiple Sony projects before acquisition.

Sony has been the publisher of Destiny 1 and 2 in Japan and had the marketing+bundles+betas+etc deal with them. So they have been working with Bungie (that includes Firewalk, who basically are ex-Bungie with some ex-CoD devs) for a while.

The Haven folks are ex-EA and specially Ubisoft, who already partnered with Sony in these same marketing deals in many of the top hits they worked on in series like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, For Honor, Far Cry etc. Some of which, like Destiny, were back then record breaking AAA new IPs.

Lasengle is the dev of a Sony mobile game that generated over $7B in revenue.

Valkyrie is a support team who had a long history of working in Sony games before its acquisition, they worked in series like GoW, Infamous, Twisted Metal. More recently they also worked in Concord.

Nixxes was bought because they're the best console to PC porters in the market, and worked as support team in Killzone Shadow Fall.
Colin is just telling people what they want to hear. Truth isn't as important as the massage.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024

it has always been like this. You honestly think most GAAS games didn't fail in 2015? Of course they did.

And yet, the GAAS market has grown to become the largest market in gaming and it's still growing. It won't start to plateau for 10 more years.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
With the news that Concord is shutting down, Colin is going to toot his own horn in the next episode of Sacred Symbols.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko