Concord characters were designed by committee says the dev

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
videogames can make sense of any logic because it’s fiction… but the bullshit tolerance can only go so far. Fatties can’t run — it’s bullshit.

But I’d rather play a hero shooter of fast food mascots.

Taco Bell chihuahua vs the hamburglar would sell 1000x concord.
She doesn't run lol
At max she walks.

She is one of the few characters that doesn't jump over ledges/walls... you need to find another path to reach the points because she barely jumps.

That is what you are mistaking here.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
She doesn't run lol
At max she walks.

Dude I know what you’re saying. That they balanced characters to match their presentation; as they should. This has been a thing since ICE HOCKEY on the NES.

The designs still suck aesthetically.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
For her moves it makes sense.

His melee is a jump using her big size and weight to create a mini earthquakes around her.
That is only possible with a big body with weight a lot.

It doesn't make any sense to IT-Z have this type of skill lol

I'm not against to change her design or even make her a male character but it needs to follow the base of her gameplay character... you can't just put a thin and fast character to do what she does.

BTW she is one of most used characters in the games I played... most of times somebody ends to using her in the team.
It is pretty hard to not fight against her during the match... in fact you end having a lot of encounters with her... she is not easy to kill alone.

The archetypes are probably not set in stone at the concept stage. I highly doubt that an artist submitted that much better design and heard "sorry she's not big enough for the moves we have in mind" - at that stage they were designing interesting looking characters and the artist did not have her in mind for a heavy, no problem with that.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The archetypes are probably not set in stone at the concept stage. I highly doubt that an artist submitted that much better design and heard "sorry she's not big enough for the moves we have in mind" - at that stage they were designing interesting looking characters and the artist did not have her in mind for a heavy, no problem with that.
Probably...

But telling here that design can be the actual Emari in the game is bullshit.
The design could be something else with another gameplay style.

So we are talking a different character at all.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
She doesn't run lol
At max she walks.

Big butt = heavy weight = slow down… you know it makes sense lol

But yes, character should be a tank. Should be big male or alien, robot etc etc, use this concept for another character like Duchess

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Remember.

You are all racist, misogynist bigoted pieces of shit for not buying this game.

GET ABSOLUTELY FUCKED.

Copy and paste bungie gunplay slapped with woke garbage x 1000 at half speed.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Granted they’re still passing the buck, sending it towards some dubious “committee” for the slop designs, I have respect for any dev who answers for their game when it fails. Usually you only hear from them when their game is a hit.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Sony is trying to appeal to the PC audience with these GAAs games but turns out the PC audience is the most racist, homophobe and intolerant community in the gaming space, go look at the scores of The Last Of Us Part II on PSN and compare it to when the game releases on PC, it'll be mostly negative, Sweet Baby Detected type of reviews, these people really let politics block them from enjoying games, and it's not just pronouns/LGBT stuff which are more understandable, but an indie game about black culture released by EA called Tales Of Kenzera was burned to the freaking ground for absolutely no reason whatsoever, if it's not a white male as a lead or an oversexualized plastic doll female, they'll destroy it... the console audience seems to be way more tolerable to diversity, even if sometimes it's forced... like on Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony is trying to appeal to the PC audience with these GAAs games but turns out the PC audience is the most racist, homophobe and intolerant community in the gaming space, go look at the scores of The Last Of Us Part II on PSN and compare it to when the game releases on PC, it'll be mostly negative, Sweet Baby Detected type of reviews, these people really let politics block them from enjoying games, and it's not just pronouns/LGBT stuff which are more understandable, but an indie game about black culture released by EA called Tales Of Kenzera was burned to the freaking ground for absolutely no reason whatsoever, if it's not a white male as a lead or an oversexualized plastic doll female, they'll destroy it... the console audience seems to be way more tolerable to diversity, even if sometimes it's forced... like on Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores.

I think they should just do MP/Gaas to appeal to there fans who like MP. PC has too many negatives

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Etifilio

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
But yes, character should be a tank. Should be big male or alien, robot etc etc, use this concept for another character like Duchess

Character design trumps logic 100% of the time. Cloud Strife should not be able to hold his sword up let alone swing it, nobody cares because the design is badass

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You have to design each character to the point where someone wants to have a poster or tshirt of them.

For the audience who wants to play these games, they generally want characters who they wish they were or who they wish they were with intimately.

In other words you have to pander to incels.

They should have just made SOCOM and they could have avoided the whole situation.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Last I checked the PS audience also rejected Concord But I guess they were mind controlled/influenced by PCMR.

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Rev Lovejoy thought his daughter could do no wrong... and blamed Bart for stealing on the church.

PC gamers are just faster to call bs when they see it. And these inclusive/politics soaked games are full of it.

Let's not pretend that part of the PS audience did not hate TLOU part 2 as well. You are giving way too much power to the PC gaming community. Make up your mind, we are either irrelevant or have more power than the UN.

The heart of the matter is that PS games releasing on PC trigger you. You don't feel special or catered to by your favourite football cl.. I mean console brand anymore. So you are making up convoluted reasonings as to why those games shouldn't release on PC.

Next thing you know, you'll blame the weather on PC gaming. I guess gaming rigs are not as eco friendly as consoles. PC gamers are killing the Amazon!!

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Ok here I go:

Last I checked the PS audience also rejected Concord But I guess they were mind controlled/influenced by PCMR.

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Rev Lovejoy thought his daughter could do no wrong... and blamed Bart for stealing on the church.

PC gamers are just faster to call bs when they see it. And these inclusive/politics soaked games are full of it.

Let's not pretend that part of the PS audience did not hate TLOU part 2 as well. You are giving way too much power to the PC gaming community. Make up your mind, we are either irrelevant or have more power than the UN.

The heart of the matter is that PS games releasing on PC trigger you. You don't feel special or catered to by your favourite football cl.. I mean console brand anymore. So you are making up convoluted reasonings as to why those games shouldn't release on PC.

Next thing you know, you'll blame the weather on PC gaming. I guess gaming rigs are not as eco friendly as consoles. PC gamers are destroying the Amazon!!

EDIT: Feel free to delete one of my posts.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Character design trumps logic 100% of the time. Cloud Strife should not be able to hold his sword up let alone swing it, nobody cares because the design is badass
Personally I dont care yes, so Im good with the concept. Anything but what they have now

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Yes totally agree. Id say Roka, Valve and Haymar are decent but still need work. Jibari, the clothes and sunglasses need to go ( we dont need 2 characters with the same type of sunglasses)
And the rest Id change them completely or majorly. Looks wise. Gamepay wise, Id had 4 more characters

And yes Holy shit lol. Thank you for seeing that the game had a much better chance with character designs like that. Thats all I want people to understand. Bungie style gunplay isnt for everyone but its still pretty good quality and not everyone can make something as good

Like, I can immediately see why that original concept art got rejected: they're "too obviously" shaped like a woman, which would apparently have offended a certain group (even if a lot of people in that group wouldn't have had an issue or cared).

There are still people who want to pretend the character designs aren't 90% responsible for Concord's swift death but at this point, it's hard to blame anything but the character designs. The game itself might have great gunplay or mechanics, but who cares if the roster looks like what the majority of the cast ended up looking like? You don't get released and cancelled in 3 weeks if even a decent fraction made it past the look of the game and, y'know, actually bothered to play the game.

Again, it's a bit like the problem Virtua Fighter had in getting more popular in the West until VF4. Nothing to do with "woke" character designs there; the characters just had a lot less personality than the Tekken cast. The VF games not being on a non-SEGA console until VF4 also played a part in low adoption by Western players of the time.

I just bring that up to reaffirm my point that Concord's character designs are bad mainly due to being bland and unoriginal, not because they're diverse like some want to try making that the big problem with them (though there's a right and wrong way to do diverse characters just like 'non-diverse' characters and Concord did them the wrong way).

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Like, I can immediately see why that original concept art got rejected: they're "too obviously" shaped like a woman, which would apparently have offended a certain group (even if a lot of people in that group wouldn't have had an issue or cared).

There are still people who want to pretend the character designs aren't 90% responsible for Concord's swift death but at this point, it's hard to blame anything but the character designs. The game itself might have great gunplay or mechanics, but who cares if the roster looks like what the majority of the cast ended up looking like? You don't get released and cancelled in 3 weeks if even a decent fraction made it past the look of the game and, y'know, actually bothered to play the game.

Again, it's a bit like the problem Virtua Fighter had in getting more popular in the West until VF4. Nothing to do with "woke" character designs there; the characters just had a lot less personality than the Tekken cast. The VF games not being on a non-SEGA console until VF4 also played a part in low adoption by Western players of the time.

I just bring that up to reaffirm my point that Concord's character designs are bad mainly due to being bland and unoriginal, not because they're diverse like some want to try making that the big problem with them (though there's a right and wrong way to do diverse characters just like 'non-diverse' characters and Concord did them the wrong way).
There are women in the game…
In there is a woman very similar to that design 🤷🏻‍♂️

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I think they should just do MP/Gaas to appeal to there fans who like MP. PC has too many negatives
instead of doing the good stuff, the content we console players want from a multiplayer title... they want to appeal to the PC audience, like... imagine an AstroBot Kart game with dozens of diferent bots and every one of them with a themes vehicle, imagine PlayStation Home 2... Killzone, Resistance, a PlayStation Rivals type of game instead of Concord.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Agree with it all.
Of course there are some content to price issues. But yes, 90% is character design. Outside of those, I really enjoy it.

Not many people remember that about Virtua Fighter, especially 4 and 5 arguably being the best depending on what you like. I always loved both Tekken and VF (being a huge Saturn fanboy and my first console of that gen). Yes, even though the characters werent offence and even bad looking, they personality was nowhere near Tekken.

I doubt other good shooters like Destiny, COD, Halo, Killzone, Doom etc etc would do as well as they did if they had the Concord character designs, subject to time.

And yes agreed with your reaffirmed point. It is overall not good design ontop of the other character design issues+woke.
Id still say Haymar with some tweaks would be closest to a decent looking. TBH I love games like Flipping Death and Stick it to the man despite friends/brother saying it looks ugly as shit and wouldnt even try it lol