Concord Registers Only 1100 players during first Day of Closed Beta (Steam) | 2210 Players at Open Beta

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
This is what I call brand damage, its better to have no games than release dogwater. More releases like this and people will start casting doubt on the tsushimas and god of war's of the future
I can see your point on that to a degree, but I would think Sony's excellence will hold past a dud or 2.

Their single games are synonymous with quality, and I would imagine that if they release a new god of War trailer tomorrow, this game would be forgotten about extremely fast.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This is what I call brand damage, its better to have no games than release dogwater. More releases like this and people will start casting doubt on the tsushimas and god of war's of the future

Where have you been the last 30 years?

Sony has had its fair share of duds.

Single player duds at that.

Didn’t make a difference.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I can see your point on that to a degree, but I would think Sony's excellence will hold past a dud or 2.

Their single games are synonymous with quality, and I would imagine that if they release a new god of War trailer tomorrow, this game would be forgotten about extremely fast.
As long as people like Neil Druckmann, Ted Price, Cory Barlog, etc are around then I'm not worried about their single player games one bit. The only problem would be if Sony got in the way and deprived them of resources, like what Xbox does to their devs. Which I don't see happening, but you never know with this new Sony thats ran by asshole bean counters.

Reactions: arvfab and Sircaw

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Where have you been the last 30 years?

Sony has had its fair share of duds.

Single player duds at that.

Didn’t make a difference.
This is their most expensive dud and one of the so called premium GaaS games for them, also the duds like order 1886, destruction all stars were not from 1st party studios, they bought this studio before they released a single game, either firewalk has blackmail material on of the SIE c-suites or self sabotage is taking place.

And also I am not saying 1 or 2 duds will tank the image, but a series of 4-5 duds on the trot will, with concord and fairgames things are not looking good for them

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This is their most expensive dud and one of the so called premium GaaS games for them, also the duds like order 1886, destruction all stars were not from 1st party studios, they bought this studio before they released a single game, either firewalk has blackmail material on of the SIE c-suites or self sabotage is taking place

That wasn’t the point of your original post. Stop moving goalposts.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Never got to play Predator but it didn’t look bad at all. I did get it from plus but still didn’t try it. Naturally not a fan of those hunter and prey online games but they do have an audience when you consider how consistently successful dead by daylight is etc… but that might have to do with the appeal of b-movie horror schlock too.

These open beta numbers are pretty terrible when compared to open beta of releases like lawbreakers, hyenas and other failures to launch. Console launch would have to make up for everything. I suggest an emergency bundle with all ps plus essential memberships.

Huge uphill battle. If launch does better I would be pleasantly surprised… not because I’m rooting for it (I’m kinda not) but because this would be a pretty huge fail especially coming off strong helldivers and Destiny launches.

Concord may not look unique enough for casuals annd hardcore alike to even bother looking its way and that may be enough to bury it.

In other news I’m expecting a Marathon update very soon considering what seems to be positive vibes coming off of last weeks’ playtest.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Live-service failing won't affect them as people act here, Jimmie boy literally said they only need one to succeed so failure is already calculated.
PS would be buried in the PS3 gen with all the multiplayer duds it had with that logic but it got remembered for Uncharted, MGS4, GoW3, Tools of Destruction etc. It's the SP games failing of known studios where the risk and worry of the brand is. Personally not worried with that either with DS2, Wolverine and Ghost 2 on the Horizon (3).

It's clear how they perceive and split their studios in categories from their last meeting, they can look at 2024 with Helldivers 2 and Destiny 2 Final Shape as successes on their live-service front. And imo if Concord gets reviewed decently and if it manages to get a tight community and build on it, it's done fine. I don't see it being a break out hit either despite enjoying the beta. This just fills a oversaturated genre checkbox for PS MP selection. How they revealed it, kept the genre hidden, doing nothing new and the direction of the roster; they set themselves up with as many rakes they could.

Hopefully Sony & Haven learn and don't repeat the same mistakes (despite being Canadian) from this cause FairGame$ will fill in a genre where there is an actual gap in the market.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t think Concord needs to be anywhere near successful as Helldivers or Destiny. It’s still just strictly PvP and should be cheaper to operate post launch than a Destiny for instance. (Although wasting all those resources on cinematics for a PvP game is like dumb as hell)

I could see a peak ccu of 10 to 15k a month removed from launch be considered a decent success.

Issue is it might launch at sub 5k and that’s kinda dead on arrival territory.

I’d save the funerals till launch at least. Poor devs honestly. But the lame and generic character design is on them.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Stop lying, we need to start mass reporting you because you spread way too much misinformation.
I'm not lying and you know it, they started in 2018 and Sony was supporting according to them "from the beggining":

"Building a new studio at scale has been an incredibly exhilarating and relentlessly daunting task. Fortunately, we’ve been supported by great partners throughout – ProbablyMonsters helped turbocharge us in setting up the studio, and Sony has been supporting our project and our creative vision from the beginning"

https://playstation-studios.fandom.com/wiki/Firewalk_Studios

Hermen became head of PS Studios in November 2019, so Sony already was working on it for around a year or more.

So under Jim and Hermen leadership, they not only signed an exclusive publishing deal but also went on to fully acquire them.
No, the deal was publicly announced in 2021 but according to them Sony was supporting them since the beggining, 2018. Who do you think funded the development of this AAA during these 3 years, Santa Claus? No, the publisher of the game: Sony.

And no, a console dedicated single player Astro Bot game has been in discussions since 2013, and again in 2018 after the release of Rescue Mission. Astros Playroom was a test bed for an already greenlit game and it came out only 1 year after Jim/Hermen took office. It clearly took more than a year to make that, so trying to give them credit for that is beyond pathetic.
Lol. You can go back to 1993 if you want since the studio started then, but this Astro Bot game was greenlighted after they released Astro's Playroom in late 2020.

So the head of PS Studios who greenlighted it was Hermen Hulst, period. And the CEO of SIE that greenlighted it was Jim Ryan.

You don’t want them to take responsibility for a giant flop, but rush to give them credit for a success.
We'll see if it flops or not, still has not been released. As of now all we know is that the beta in Steam has a small amount of players.

They'll take responsability for what it's their responsability when they fail and will also take the medals when they succeed. But it's stupid to say they did something they didn't do just because you hate them.

You don't want to accept the facts that Hermen didn't greenlight Concord and that instead he greenlighted Astro Bot just because you hate him. Yes, Hermen didn't cancel Concord and acquired them. But he wasn't there since the start, as he was in games like Astro Bot, Wolverine (started after releasing Morales) or Physint (to be started after they ship DS2).

This is why we call you what we call you.
You better stop calling me things.

that's a blatant lie
Why can't you accept the fact that Hermen Hulst is the head of PS Studios now and back then when they started this Astro Bot game after releasing Astro's Playroom?

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't... kinda. Japan Studio failed time and time again so closing it was the right thing to do. But that's only step one, step two should've been acquiring a publisher or a couple of studios to replace it but of course they didn't do it. To me it's pathetic that Sony owns only two Japanese studios.
They didn't close Japan Studio, they restructured it changing the management, giving their own office in the same building to its XDEV team (the one who publishes/supports 2nd party games) and merging the different internal development teams into one of them, Team Asobi. So since that team as now only Team Asobi they rebraded it to Team Asobi.

After the restructuring they continued doing the same: making internally developing games (next one being Astro Bot) and publishing/supporting Asian 2nd party games (Death Stranding Director's Cut, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Death Stranding 2, Physint...). And both teams grew in the new offices they got in the building they already were (the SIE Japan HQ building).