Console wars are over. Microsoft ramping up 3rd party development. |UP| Chris Dring: Xbox flatlining in EU, Xbox games coming to PS & less focus on GP

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Valve is a niche brand.
Most casual gamers have no clue who they are.
Steamdeck for example is a niche product but healthy, kinda like the Neo-Geo was except its specs are poor unlike NG at its time.

Also online wouldn't stay free if they adopted the console model.

We need someone else like Amazon maybe.
Steam Deck is intentionally a niche product, Valve is using it to get experience with this type of product and to improve their OS.

There is no console model of paid online, there is nothing that justified is when compared to something like Steam, it's just like that on consoles due to MS greed and lack of shame.

Amazon, Apple or Google would all fail miserably with a traditional console, they would all likely do worse than MS did, Valve is a much better suited competitor.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
People been saying this for a long time releasing your games to PC even if it’s 1 or 2 years kills your console it opens Pandora’s box & make gamers who previously own your previous console why buy or invest when I can get it cheaper w better performance on PC.

If these multi billion $ company don’t understand that PC is a very direct & fierce competitor to console then they deserve to loose there business.

Xbox killed its hardware console business & its software sells w gamepass now Xbox is at the mercy of Apple, PS, Nintendo & Steam to gain profits & expand. & just like Xbox tried to expand into mobile bringing a storefront natively on IPhone apple said nah fuck that & when MS tried to bring Gamepass to Steam, Nintendo & PS all three said nah fuck that. MS is at the mercy of other in gaming honestly they would’ve been better spending a fraction on acquiring Steam & at the very least it would give them a strong position & stranglehold in gaming on PC.

This why I always question PS strategy of porting the singleplayer ten pole games is the little amount of extra profit really worth killing your console & software business to gain small profits on PC compared to console & being at the mercy of other closed gardens. Because I once was a solely PS gamer & ever since PS started porting there singleplayer games I’d open my horizon outside other platforms & invest more $ on PC instead of PS & have started spending more time on PC then PS then ever before because now i can play PS games on PC with Xbox exclusive, Steam exclusive & the other PC exclusive games that don’t release on PS for a much cheaper price & better performance then PS console would give. PS is killing its brand identity something Xbox used to have & now has completely faded, what is Xbox?… what is Xbox position in gaming is it a cheap subscription w ehh to mid games & the occasional quality game every 3 years? If so that’s not very exciting compared to having a massive console community that interact & goes to event & interact creating conversations around a piece of tech & games that are specifically design & exclusive for it. Nintendo has existed for all of these time from the backing of having true exclusive games you can’t play anywhere else & building a strong & concrete brand around it same can be said w Steam. Even Steam stop porting & supporting games outside of the Steam platform Steam doesn’t even expand games like CSGO which is a live service multiplayer to other storefront like GOG, Epic & from having true exclusive & concrete brand it has made them if not almost a monopoly in PC gaming & I don’t expect Steam to release any current or future games outside its Steam storefront in the next 10 to 20+ years. Funny enough Steam now has its own console that’s sold at a budget value like console so even more competition that Xbox & PS seemingly ignores even thoe Steam has been eating away Xbox market share & now that PS port there games Steam will eat away PS market share w Steam & Nintendo ever growing by sticking to its proven model, exclusive true permanent exclusive games you can’t play anywhere.

Xbox is cooked & it’s sad they made a bunch of knee jerk dumb decisions. The crazy part Xbox downfall wasn’t Don Matrick it was Phill Spencer

Last edited:

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Xbots in total turmoil today

99f.gif
I think both sides consumers are actually relatively happy.

Xbox users have a Amazing subscription, where amazing games such as Persona 3 reload launch Day 1 on their service, and having Day 1 XGS games as well, with games such as ES6 and Outer worlds 2, etc. While the multiplatform idea will provide financial support from PC, switch and PS users, to keep the train going.

While Playstation users, have amazing games, have some of the most polished and quality games studios, such as Sony Santamonica, Guerilla, Insomniac, and Naughty Dog, alot of these being console exclusives. While still having a pretty decent subscription, and multiple third party partnerships.

If by Xbots you mean people who are mad that XGS games are releasing on Playstation, you're correct.

Edit: I want to add to this, that if XGS games such as Starfield and ES6 are truly coming to PS5/6 then PlayStation is 100% the better hardware to get, since you get everything while only missing out on subscription which you still have a decent counterpart of.

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel and arvfab

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Steam Deck is intentionally a niche product, Valve is using it to get experience with this type of product and to improve their OS.

There is no console model of paid online, there is nothing that justified is when compared to something like Steam, it's just like that on consoles due to MS greed and lack of shame.

Amazon, Apple or Google would all fail miserably with a traditional console, they would all likely do worse than MS did, Valve is a much better suited competitor.
Valve already tried a console 'like' model and it failed miserably.

There is a console like model for paid online that's been in place for generations.
Valve and any other company would also use it.

Don't like it but it is what it is.

Any of the brands you mentioned would fare better because they have the name.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Valve already tried a console 'like' model and it failed miserably.

There is a console like model for paid online that's been in place for generations.
Valve and any other company would also use it.

Don't like it but it is what it is.

Any of the brands you mentioned would fare better because they have the name.
You clearly don't know what you talking about if you think Valve would even consider charging for online if they released a console.

About 10 years have passed since they tried Steam Machine and gaming on Linux has drastically changed since then (a lot of it thanks to Valve).

Steam is one of the biggest names in gaming in 2024.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
How are people having such a hard time understanding Xbox is dead?

It's not a meme, it's no a joke, the Xbox platform is dead.

- They bet everything on Gamepass and they are somehow losing subscribers at this point. It was never sustainable and it was only diruptive to Xbox game sales. It makes even less sense when you consider it canibalize XBox Live Gold sales (all this effort just to end up making about the same amount of money they were already making before with paid online).
- The Series S was a terrible idea poorly executed, it made things harder for devs, held back current gen games, held back Xbox internal game development and didn't translate into any adicional market share. Because of the Series S and it's lower starting price Xbox Series sales are very frontloaded compared to the PS5 sales trajectory.
- The Series X didn't live up to the hype, had pretty much no games to show off the 12TF number they so heavily marketed and will soon start to be compared directly to the PS5 Pro.
- Their internal studios are bigger and less productive than ever. Bethesda, Activision and Blizzard are clearly going downhill fast and they are all too reliant on games selling on PS5 for it to ever help Xbox.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
How are people having such a hard time understanding Xbox is dead?

It's not a meme, it's no a joke, the platform is dead.
I read these new posts and I'm like "wtf is this like a new revelation for them and not one tht has been duly noted for several years now" How long can they keep stating same shit before they understand. No difference either from when we all said Gamepass would kill game sales for them and it's not a good thing.

We don't need influencers or execs or analysts to tell us the same shit we've been saying since their strategy was clear and we knew it would bite them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So... If we were to put a date on it?

What date do we say Xbox died on?
Good question lol. Their degradation and downfall began with the unveiling of Xbox One but really got cemented when they unveiled the Game Pass strategy.

2013 was Xbox One unveil
Game Pass launched 2017

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Where is peter and what have you done to him?
who hacked @peter42O ???

Hahaha. I was all in with Microsoft, Xbox and Phil Spencer since E3 2018. Was all in with Xbox Series X since Spring 2020. Even with a one game only console launch in 2020 and a shitty 2022, I was still an Xbox fan but once they had that stupid business update or whatever the fuck they called it and announced that they're porting games to Sony/Nintendo platforms, that was it.

I'm not buying any more games on Xbox which is why I went with GameFly and while Xbox Series X will stay my primary gaming console for the rest of the generation due to the fact that I have never switched consoles mid-generation, I have zero interest in their stupid fucking handheld, revisions or their 2026 next generation hardware especially since I know they will be cross-gen for a while anyway.

Once Sony releases PlayStation 6 in Fall 2028 (or whenever they release it), I switch back to PlayStation as my primary gaming console and will simply play every Microsoft first party game on PlayStation because by then, they will either be A) releasing their games on PlayStation day one despite having their own hardware or B) full third party only publisher like Sega with no more hardware since it would be dead and buried.

At this point, im simply riding out the remainder of the generation.

24 Jun 2022
I like all your points, unlike previous replies to my post yours seem more thought out, I agree with your statement about the 2 billion revenue, not being profit, but still, having that while spending cash you were previously doing nothing with is amazing for them.

As I said, I just wanted to make the point that, MS has made its brand accessible from so many sides and devices, that I don't think Xbox gaming side will ever just "dissappear". I think most people on here really need to accept that.

About the Sub jump on ABK games on gamepass, I am only going off of what I assume the general public values more, Call of Duty will always be mentioned at the top of the list when listing First person shooters.

Well yeah I think we're in agreement on things like Xbox gaming not going anywhere...or maybe better to say Microsoft Gaming. They could always do away with the "Xbox" brand and rename it something else, but I don't see them stopping with gaming hardware itself even if console hardware does come to an end (and given sales trends, needs to). But that is just me saying hardware tied to a traditional business model of consoles as we know them, would have to end. The hardware can continue, just not with that business model (or the things normally associated with it).

The multiplat strategy right now is a tease of it, but it seems increasingly likely they will fully commit to it going forward. The only ones losing out in this case are diehard fanboys who want another 360 vs PS3 console generation, because that isn't happening anymore. Though like @Nhomnhom was suggesting, if Valve decided to step up their volume of production with Steam Deck and maybe took a hybrid approach, and if Sony don't adjust their PC strategy, we could get another 360 vs PS3 like situation just with Valve replacing Microsoft in that situation.

IMO Steam is probably the bigger competitor to Xbox and PlayStation at this point than either is to each other. The difference is, Microsoft doesn't "need" the Xbox console anymore. They can just as well pivot to console-ish PC gaming devices because they have vested interests in PC (Windows, DirectX etc.). Sony still needs the PlayStation console, but IMO they also need to make it more competitive with PC platforms like Steam going forward.

Reactions: Nhomnhom and Puff

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Taycan77

Member​

We can all have our fun and chat about this hobby - even take sides like a sports team.

But can we take a moment to lament how ******* delusion the last remaining hardcore Xbox fans have become. We're well past the point of reasoned discussion - it's full-on conspiratorial ******** to explain away what's happening in the market. Seasoned industry veterans are spelling out just how awful the situation has become for Xbox - the only ones still pushing back are the paid-up shills like Jez Corden.

Reactions: Johnic and Puff

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So... If we were to put a date on it?

I think they'll release a PC handheld with Windows (not Xbox OS) maybe this fall. May not even use the Xbox brand.

Shortly after releasing the 4 announcement ports, I think they'll keep releasing all their main Series X|S and XBO exclusives in batches on rival consoles, keeping around a year of timed exclusivity, and all Activition Blizzard and most Zenimax titles being day one in PS. The goal being having ported all their back catalong in 5 years from now.

I think in maximum a year or so, if regulators allow it, MS will have their own game store called Windows Gaming or MS Gaming or something like that (not Xbox), crossbuy and crossplatform, shared between PC (optimized to play it on tvs or PC handhelds), iOS, Android and smart tvs. A couple years later will remove their games from Google Play and iOS. I think it will act as their only store and launcher, replacing battle.net, the Xbox and Windows PC stores and anything else they have. Everything (Gamepass and xCloud) will be integrated there. A single MS ecosystem for all their games in all the platforms they support.

I think by 2026 the XGS new titles will start to be released day one on PS5 and some also in Switch 2.

With MS fully transitioned to muliplatform, I think Series X|S will be discontinued in 2028 and there won't be a next gen Xbox. Having their own console dead, paying 0% instead of 30% in PC, mobile and smart tvs and being the biggest publisher in console, they'll startt to pressure Nintendo and Sony to allow them put their own store and Gamepass paying 0% insted of 30%. They will reject and MS (+Epic and maybe someone else like EA) will send them to court.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
You clearly don't know what you talking about if you think Valve would even consider charging for online if they released a console.

About 10 years have passed since they tried Steam Machine and gaming on Linux has drastically changed since then (a lot of it thanks to Valve).

Steam is one of the biggest names in gaming in 2024.
Some major spinning in this post.