Console wars are over. Microsoft ramping up 3rd party development. |UP| Chris Dring: Xbox flatlining in EU, Xbox games coming to PS & less focus on GP

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
it’s a hug OUCH everytime I see they spent $75 billion
Probably a lot more since they had to go trough all that trouble to complete the acquisition.

Bethesda was a much more reasonable purchase but also awful in retrospect. Most of the value were tied to Bethesda Game Studios and it was already pretty easy to see they were a pretty shitty/mediocre studio (that just happened to find success due to be unchallenged in their genre for a long time).

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Probably a lot more since they had to go trough all that trouble to complete the acquisition.
For cod(dying) wow (stagnant) overwatch (dying) diablo (stagnant)

The only W I can make of this acquisition is candy crush. This is a disaster

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
For cod(dying) wow (stagnant) overwatch (dying) diablo (stagnant)

The only W I can make of this acquisition is candy crush. This is a disaster
I won't pretend I know or care enough about King to even have an opinion about their value but Activision and Blizzard were clearly decadent and Phil paid big bucks for their names and their legacy IPs.

Given that mobile success is not at all related to game quality I wouldn't pay anything for any mobile developer. If I wanted a Candy Crush like game I would just hire a shitty dev and spend Monopoly like money on advatizing.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I won't pretend I know or care enough about King to even have an opinion about their value but Activision and Blizzard were clearly decadent and Phil paid big bucks for their names and their legacy IPs.

Given that mobile success is not at all related to game quality I wouldn't pay anything for any mobile developer. If I wanted a Candy Crush like game I would just hire a shitty dev and spend Monopoly like money on advatizing.
The last CoD game before the acquisition was extremely successful, somehow the studio seems to have been broken while the acquisition was in limbo.

I'm wondering what is going on with ID Software, I did not like their last Doom (I hate having to do special stuff to get my ammo in games)... more pure action games in the vein of Doom 2016 would have been great, but they are on radio silence (like ND and other big studios).

Now that I think of it, a lot of big studios are in cryogenic sleep at the moment.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The last CoD game before the acquisition was extremely successful, somehow the studio seems to have been broken while the acquisition was in limbo.
But it was MW2 no? That was their biggest remaining card they had to play. CoD Battle Royale, CoD F2P, CoD mobile, they already did pretty much everything.

I'm no CoD fan but to me it seems like a played out IP that is one misstep away from a steep descent into irrelevance.

I'm wondering what is going on with ID Software, I did not like their last Doom (I hate having to do special stuff to get my ammo in games)... more pure action games in the vein of Doom 2016 would have been great, but they are on radio silence (like ND and other big studios).

Now that I think of it, a lot of big studios are in cryogenic sleep at the moment.
As for id games, those are not particularly big sellers, just more third party game for MS to sell on PlayStation and "give away" on Xbox/PC.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
While I agree that would be nice to have a "Windows Game Boy Edition" in the end people end up installing full on windows or nothing because there are 2 or 3 things they want to do with their machine that don't work on it.

And it should be just a toggle between one mode and the other. Windows 8 on tablets attempted this, you had an UI for touch operation using Metro, or you could just head on to the typical Windows desktop.

Of course, Metro sucked a bit IMO and they should just bring in the Xbox UI into Windows. Again, as an optional toggle between that and desktop mode.

Reactions: ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Did you watch it or are you just messing around?
Yeah. It's an April Fools, but even the idea of doing it seems a little inflated. Why would people care if Greg were to make a pc to the extent that it would annoy or disappoint them either way.

Reactions: Johnic

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

APB1.gif

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

That guy was never the brightest bulb, in fact I'm not even sure he ever emited any light.

Building a PC these days is easier than legos, you have a few parts, no jumpers, very little chances of hw conflicts or anything like that (you may not even need to see your bios screen anyway).

So, anyone that is a gaming "expert" like him should have one aside.