CORRECTING MISINFORMATION On incorrect interpretations from Sony/PlayStation's FY2023 Q3 Report from an analyst.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's nowhere near as false as your own speculative claims that day and date is coming.

There was no explicit promise that this will never happen, but such a change is what would have to be proven, not the opposite.

You never fooled anyone, DynamiteCop.
I'm mostly NOT claiming it's coming. To the extent I am, it's based on my own business speculation and what I know about software development.

I'm not pretending to correct a translation, putting my words in a Sony execs mouth. This isn't close to the same thing. What this person is doing is called LYING.

Also good guess but wrong.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
How is he lying?
He isn't. He is calling out dishonest people that took selective quotes out of context and literally put words into the man's mouth, to push an agenda.

The actual lies:
"PS games coming to Xbox, because they mentioned other platforms!"
"PC day and date confirmed, because they didn't even talk about it just to deny it!"

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
He isn't. He is calling out dishonest people that took selective quotes out of context and literally put words into the man's mouth, to push an agenda.

The actual lies:
"PS games coming to Xbox, because they mentioned other platforms!"
"PC day and date confirmed, because they didn't even talk about it just to deny it!"

in correcting the overreaction from the morons online, he's making up additional points that Totoki didn't say. that is lying.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
in correcting the overreaction from the morons online, he's making up additional points that Totoki didn't say. that is lying.

Can you quote those?

Because he specifically lines out at the end things that are his opinions?

This is the only one that feels its more of his opinion than restating the comments/quotes made by Sony exec:

Addendum 1:

❌Misinformation #4) 'Sony is killing the PS5 they already said it's in its latter stages. PlayStation has no games'

🔵Truth #4) The statement that was used was that the PS5 is beginning the Latter Half of its console lifecycle which is correct. A console's lifecycle is typically 8 years. PS5 released in 2020 it is now 2024. It is about to enter Phase 2 of its games and lifecycle but just to ease everyone's worries... The BEST 1st Party games on every Console come in the second half of that console's lifecycle. Almost all of the best games on PS4 came out after 4 years of it being on the market (Uncharted 4, God of War 2018, Spiderman 1, Horizon Zero Dawn)

The best 1st Party games for PS5 are yet to come!

The red is more or less his opinion.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I think one of Sony's biggest disadvantages against MS is that they don't have a ton of media assets willing to go to bat for them and debunk misinformation in front of a large audience.

On the other hand, not employing shills similar to Jez Corden and Tom Warren deserves a bit of respect at least.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I see where you are coming...

To be fair I believe she should should correct only what needs to be corrected (Part 3 is not a correction at all) and not put his subjective vision when correcting it.
Stay to facts without options.

Said that he did a good job overall... can improve in these points to not give any opening in the correction.
If he stayed to facts without options then it should have no counter point because what he posted is correctly.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think one of Sony's biggest disadvantages against MS is that they don't have a ton of media assets willing to go to bat for them and debunk misinformation in front of a large audience.

I think at this stage they let the games and hardware talk for them.

Also the losses seen in this report a lot of contributed to acquistiion of Bungie being on the books and PSVR2 launch last year on top of ramping production up for PS5PRO among other pieces of hardware that they are spinning up.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It was a ridiculous target. People were constantly mocking and trolling them about it. That's not normal.

You can have an official target of 21 millions, while secretly hoping to reach 25 millions, but don't make it your official target with the shareholders 🤦‍♂️
Normally I'd be agreeing with your posts but it's really kinda cringe to see you stoop to this level of delusion to defend a corporation that dug their own grave (sales wise).

They also said they intended to surpass PS4 launch aligned sales before the end of Q3 and instead they lost ground.... So no their target wasn't ridiculous, because many of you on this very site were cheering on this target and jeering people who for calling out the reality that sales slowed down immensely last spring.

PlayStation HQ got high on their own supply and thought they could coast to victory while offering the bare minimum last year. Treated fans as second class citizens while offering their worst showcase ever... Because PS5 was owed this sales juggernaut year of sales in their eyes.

Going forward they need to start rebuilding a sense of community, be a bit more open with what's coming, don't string fans along or take them for idiots like they did with Factions for example... (Yes I'm still bitter lol).

It won't kill them to start doing gaming conventions again or at least host some kinda PlayStation event in the future... The brand has never been this dull and faceless till PS5 generation.

And they will be lucky to still cross that 21 million as they still need to sell another 4.5 million this quarter.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PlayStation HQ got high on their own supply and thought they could coast to victory while offering the bare minimum last year. Treated fans as second class citizens while offering their worst showcase ever... Because PS5 was owned this sales juggernaut year of sales in their eyes.
I just want to speak to this with the following

2023 - PS Studios games / IP released on PS5
  • HFW Burning Shores (DLC)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • MLB The Show 23
2023 - PS Studios games / IP released on PC
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Returnal
  • The Last of Us Part I
Nobody gives a fuck about MLB other than North America, so in 2023 they released 3 full PC ports vs 1 PS5 exclusive + 1 DLC.

They literally did not give a fuck last year, and this year is even worse.

Reactions: Diah and Danja1187

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Normally I'd be agreeing with your posts but it's really kinda cringe to see you stoop to this level of delusion to defend a corporation that dug their own grave (sales wise).

They also said they intended to surpass PS4 launch aligned sales before the end of Q3 and instead they lost ground.... So no their target wasn't ridiculous, because many of you on this very site were cheering on this target and jeering people who for calling out the reality that sales slowed down immensely last spring.

PlayStation HQ got high on their own supply and thought they could coast to victory while offering the bare minimum last year. Treated fans as second class citizens while offering their worst showcase ever... Because PS5 was owed this sales juggernaut year of sales in their eyes.

Going forward they need to start rebuilding a sense of community, be a bit more open with what's coming, don't string fans along or take them for idiots like they did with Factions for example... (Yes I'm still bitter lol).

It won't kill them to start doing gaming conventions again or at least host some kinda PlayStation event in the future... The brand has never been this dull and faceless till PS5 generation.

They own evo, and fund pro tours? But i agree they should do some events. But also do you have that same energy for nintendo? Last year they made deals for FF16, Released Valhalla DLC, and launched Spiderman 2 on top of launching PSVR2?

Thats not doing bare minimum. I will agree its light in terms of first party, or more partnered third party like we are seeing in 2024.

But you are also forgetting how competitive 2023 was for games. Largest debut for new titles in a long ass time.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I just want to speak to this with the following

2023 - PS Studios games / IP released on PS5
  • HFW Burning Shores (DLC)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • MLB The Show 23
2023 - PS Studios games / IP released on PC
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Returnal
  • The Last of Us Part I
Nobody gives a fuck about MLB other than North America, so in 2023 they released 3 full PC ports vs 1 PS5 exclusive + 1 DLC.

They literally did not give a fuck last year, and this year is even worse.
It's crazy they gave away their only true PS5 Exclusives to PC and then had to watch them bomb and pirated... Imagine if Nixxies were tasked to Port over PS3 games instead to bloster the abysmal offering last year.

Infamous, Killzone, Motorstorm, resistance - Collections would have gone over better. But no, keep treating PS gamers as trash while rolling out red carpet for PC gamers.

Reactions: Diah

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's crazy they gave away their only true PS5 Exclusives to PC and then had to watch them bomb and pirated... Imagine if Nixxies were tasked to Port over PS3 games instead to bloster the abysmal offering last year.

Infamous, Killzone, Motorstorm, resistance - Collections would have gone over better. But no, keep treating PS gamers as trash while rolling out red carpet for PC gamers.
I still genuinely don't understand. Exclusives are one of the gateways to their console, something that distinguishes them from Xbox or PC. They make most of their cash from transactions in their store. Them incentivizing people to not acquire a console not only affects their direct sale markup (due to losing % to steam) but also affects how much people will end up spending in their platform.

It's literally short term gains for long term fuckups.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and Danja1187

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They own evo, and fund pro tours? But i agree they should do some events. But also do you have that same energy for nintendo? Last year they made deals for FF16, Released Valhalla DLC, and launched Spiderman 2 on top of launching PSVR2?

Thats not doing bare minimum. I will agree its light in terms of first party, or more partnered third party like we are seeing in 2024.

But you are also forgetting how competitive 2023 was for games. Largest debut for new titles in a long ass time.
Why are you responding to me about Whataboutisms?? They have an obligation to EVO so why would I mention that? With or without Sony EVO would still exist...

My comment was about Sony's offering and Final Fantasy 16 alone doesn't make up for their shit offering from PlayStation? They released more games for PC than they did for their own hardware.

PSVR2 should have never happened, a money sink and it will be discontinued sooner than later

I dunno why y'all feel obligated to damage control for a company that is openly saying your service isn't valuable enough to them anymore

Reactions: Diah

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why are you responding to me about Whataboutisms?? They have an obligation to EVO so why would I mention that? With or without Sony EVO would still exist...

My comment was about Sony's offering and Final Fantasy 16 alone doesn't make up for their shit offering from PlayStation? They released more games for PC than they did for their own hardware.

PSVR2 should have never happened, a money sink and it will be discontinued sooner than later

I dunno why y'all feel obligated to damage control for a company that is openly saying your service isn't valuable enough to them anymore

It's not whataboutism's? You literally stated Sony needs to do a better job with release cadence, community ect. I pointed out that they do community events for EVO.

I agreed with you that they should do more events similar to PSX at least do one or two a year. I'm not damage controlling. I added more context to your post. And agreed with a lot of your points?

Not saying 2023 was amazing for them, but also as PS5 and PC player there was so much to play I understand if maybe they shifted things. I mean look at how stacked 2024 is in first couple months and a lot of it is partnered/Playstation Published titles? Helldivers 2 is basically first party since they payed for its development/Published it and own the IP. We know they have at least 1 or 2 more titles to release this year. I think that their communication is what is complete shit in my honest opinion.

Going silent for a long ass time and then having a luke warm showcase last year definitely hurt them with fans. But I would say the shift they have done in showing things closer to release, and teasing some titles that are 12+ bound is fine. i just wish they just communicated it a little more.