Cory Barlog Continues to tease Ragnarok

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
I bet that there are problems in GOWR's development, they’ve been eerily quiet on it, either that or it’s just Sony's extreme fixation on winning GOTY awards & getting as far away from Elden Ring’s hype as possible, they're meaningless to me as a costumer, Elden Ring got those GOTY awards on-lock this year, so they better give up on that front, I know it means the world for these companies, look at how ER surpassed Bandai’s sales expectations because of the critical acclaim it got, scored a 97 on Metacritic, the hype for it is too great.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I bet that there are problems in GOWR's development, they’ve been eerily quiet on it, either that or it’s just Sony's extreme fixation on winning GOTY awards & getting as far away from Elden Ring’s hype as possible, they're meaningless to me as a costumer, Elden Ring got those GOTY awards on-lock this year, so they better give up on that front, I know it means the world for these companies, look at how ER surpassed Bandai’s sales expectations because of the critical acclaim it got, scored a 97 on Metacritic, the hype for it is too great.

I do remember people saying the same thing when Red Dead Redemption 2 scored a 97 :unsure:

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: LED and Swolf712

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I doubt they're gonna potentially hurt their financial forecasts for the quarter Ragnarok was due out in just to "duck" Elden Ring in a few GOTY Award Lists. I mean by this logic, they may as well not bother next year either what with BOTW2 dropping, right?

If it wins, so much the better, but SIE is a business first and foremost. They're gonna drop it when it makes the most sense for them and their product.

EDIT: And yes, we know there were development issues. Namely, Christopher Judge requiring some pretty significant surgery setting development back by a good bit, plus COVID. No sense wringing our hands about it though, she'll come when she comes.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
I do remember people saying the same thing when Red Dead Redemption 2 scored a 97 :unsure:
Well it’s different now tbh, RDR2 was just an evolution of RDR1, GOW 2018 reinvented itself from its predecessors, it had an actual impact, GOWR I suspect won’t do much of that as it’ll just be the continuation of 2018, which isn’t bad at all, I’m sure it’ll be a phenomenal game, whereas with Elden Ring, it actually made a huge impact, a new IP, pushing the open-world genre forward, a complete departure from FROM’s previous Soulsborne games, I strongly think Elden Ring will be the measuring stick for open-world design from now on, other developers will be deeply analyzing it.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
I doubt they're gonna potentially hurt their financial forecasts for the quarter Ragnarok was due out in just to "duck" Elden Ring in a few GOTY Award Lists. I mean by this logic, they may as well not bother next year either what with BOTW2 dropping, right?

If it wins, so much the better, but SIE is a business first and foremost. They're gonna drop it when it makes the most sense for them and their product.

EDIT: And yes, we know there were development issues. Namely, Christopher Judge requiring some pretty significant surgery setting development back by a good bit, plus COVID. No sense wringing our hands about it though, she'll come when she comes.
Yeah that makes sense honestly, they’ve been this quiet with TLOU 2 beforehand.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well it’s different now tbh, RDR2 was just an evolution of RDR1, GOW 2018 reinvented itself from its predecessors, it had an actual impact, GOWR I suspect won’t do much of that as it’ll just be the continuation of 2018, which isn’t bad at all, I’m sure it’ll be a phenomenal game, whereas with Elden Ring, it actually made a huge impact, a new IP, pushing the open-world genre forward, a complete departure from FROM’s previous Soulsborne games, I strongly think Elden Ring will be the measuring stick for open-world design from now on, other developers will be deeply analyzing it.

Totally off topic on this one but ... why? I can't think of a single new thing it did for open world design. Great game but pretty basic in that sense. It's literally travel from point A to B via foot, horse, or grace. Maybe could continue this in the official ER topic ...

Reactions: arvfab

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Totally off topic on this one but ... why? I can't think of a single new thing it did for open world design. Great game but pretty basic in that sense. It's literally travel from point A to B via foot, horse, or grace. Maybe could continue this in the official ER topic ...
Nothing new, just taking to a new tier of quality

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
How did elden ring push the open world genre forward? It's a souls game in an open world setting. Nothing new there.

Deleted member 131

Retired Athlete
VIP
28 Jun 2022
Likely everything comes out today anyhow btw as it seems the release date has been circulating

Would actually be funny if it was indeed a mole hunt and The Snitch had been given wrong info

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
How did elden ring push the open world genre forward? It's a souls game in an open world setting. Nothing new there.
And that actually ends up making the game a little too. I like open world games when done right but ER has pretty much all the open world issues the genre normally has. Don't know how its getting that much praise. Most people just seem to be comparing it to the worst offenders of the genres and claiming its a big leap.

Three

24 Jun 2022
As someone who's eager for the game I'd hate to see a delay but to be honest from a business perspective a delay might make some sense too. PS5 sales seem to promote game sales and the PS4 install base seems to be having little effect. So with that in mind what would you do? Sell after Christmas when install base is high and steal some of the other competing releases thunder or just before Christmas sold as a possible pack in for those buying a PS5, but then be competing with TLOU1/COD?

I hope it's the latter with TLOU1 being a possible pack in (price of console + price of game) but what do Sony have planned for H1 2023? Is spiderman 2 planned for H2, is it set to even make 2023?

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
This is why I don't like leaks, when they don't pan out the fan base just gets 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.